December 2011 Reviews - NYC

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: December 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by ERinVA »

Personally, I hardly know what to say about that post, except that it seems very disgusting and inappropriate under the circumstances. I did not find it funny in the least.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:Personally, I hardly know what to say about that post, except that it seems very disgusting and inappropriate under the circumstances. I did not find it funny in the least.
He was quoting probably the most sophomoric scene in the otherwise brilliant movie 'Stand By Me'. Call it a misfired attempt at humour.

Hardly appropriate to this situation which, I have to say, makes me filled with admiration for the young lad Peter - and his pluck.

Billy Elliot would approve of young Peter! So would Mrs. Wilkinson!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I don't care what it came from, brilliant movie or no.

I give Peter a great deal of credit for getting right back out there and continuing the show.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

ERinVA wrote:I don't care what it came from, brilliant movie or no.

I give Peter a great deal of credit for getting right back out there and continuing the show.
I totally agree with Ellen. No need for a post like that. Peter is such a professional.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

I've never seen Peter perform, but I'm so full of admiration for him for finishing the show. I don't think most adults would have been able to. Bravo!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
mxmx
Small Boy

Post by mxmx »

December 22: Unprepared for just how disarming Joseph Harrington is. A very vulnerable Billy and additionally effective because he doesn't strike you physically as a dancer type in his early scenes. A real triple threat, with a terrific singing voice and solid acting. Also fantastic chemistry with Cameron's Michael. First time I can remember Michael's exit from the hall on Christmas night (in the tutu) getting an applause. An extremely solid show despite the one (for me) weak link in the adult cast which nothing can be done about and which forum rules preclude discussing.

Royal Ballet scene was particularly fun, with Dan Jenkins adding in some extended business with the mirror/wall. Neat "in character" gestures when Clipboard Woman accidentally dropped her pen and Dad had to pick it up and hand it to her. Good save there. Only other mishap was somebody's microphone that kept popping loudly every 5 minutes or so through a good portion of the show.

Happy to also report that the Geordie accented child's voice has returned to the start of the show. No clue why it was a generic and rather monotone American female voice at the two previous shows. Good riddance.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

LiamM wrote:I have had Scouts who have been feeling sick all day and when they finally get around to throwing up, they are completely cured by it.
Yes, this is certainly the case sometimes . . . once it's out of your system, you often actually feel better than you did before you got sick. Still, I can imagine everyone had their fingers crossed when the flying part of "Swan Lake" began ! That must have been a very difficult moment for Peter when he felt like he was about to be sick and wondering what he should do about it . . .. and then actually getting sick, which I'm sure was very embarrassing for him to do in front of 1300 people.

The only other times I remember something like this was during the first year or so of the London production. I remember reading on here about James Lomas getting a nosebleed in the middle of the show, which caused them to stop the show temporarily I believe. And then the biggest nightmare (in my opinion) that I've heard about for any of the Billys was when Liam Mower apparently had a cold and was battling hoarseness. He managed to make it up to the point in the show where he was ready to sing "Electricity." But when he opened his mouth to sing, no sound would come out. Frustrated, he looked out at the audience and mouthed, "I'm sorry," at which point the audience gave him a loud round of applause - much like they did for Peter - to show that they were behind him and sympathized with the embarrassment he was undoubtedly facing.

So even though we complain about non-responsive audiences every so often, it's nice to know that when it comes right down to it, the audiences are indeed understanding and supportive of the amazing kids who are up there performing in this show.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

mxmx wrote: Happy to also report that the Geordie accented child's voice has returned to the start of the show. No clue why it was a generic and rather monotone American female voice at the two previous shows. Good riddance.

I think the "generic, American voice" is used when there is something different to announce than what they already have prerecorded. Most likely it would be a different orchestra conductor than one of the regulars.
:/
mxmx
Small Boy

Post by mxmx »

Perhaps. But as I recall the conductor was one of the usuals last Saturday and I've heard two versions of the child's voice. If they do have to make a change, they could at least have a voice that sounds more lively than a warden at a woman's prison.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Yes I agree. There should be no reason why they can't have the current Debbie do it.
:/

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”