January 2012 Reviews - NYC

angelenroute
Billy

Re: January 2012 Reviews - NYC

Post by angelenroute »

Billy Whiz wrote:I must say that the finale at the 5th Birthday Show in London was incredible but as a whole show the last one in New York is the BEST I have ever seen.
I hope anyone who follows Billy Elliot worldwide in its many incarnations will see what high praise this is!!! I certainly do, and I really appreciate your assessment of the final Broadway performance!

Sean
rickyfc
Small Boy

Post by rickyfc »

I also want to add my thanks for that wonderful post, Sean. I desperately wanted to be there on January 8 but couldn't. This was the next best thing!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your post, Sean. I thought about trying to write something, but I just found it impossible to do. Your account brings back the excitement of the show. BETM Broadway definitely saved the best for last!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
skkmercury
Small Boy

Post by skkmercury »

Absolutely incredible post of the final Broadway performance of BETM, Sean!

I live in Southern California but was lucky enough to make it to NYC twice within the last nine months. My first trip back east was in April where I discovered this brilliant and inspiring work called Billy Elliot The Musical. The show refreshed my memory and fondness of the movie on which the musical is based. It motivated me to buy the London cast recording of the show.... and listen to it over and over again. It has caused me to spend way too much time searching for and enjoying the many videos available on the subject at YouTube.com. Fortunately, it has also caused me to seek out and find this forum, where I've spent quite a lot of time reading posts from so many incredibly devoted fans.

The announcement that BETM on Broadway would be closing is what prompted me to return to New York a second time so that I could experience the show one more time. Originally, I had hoped to take a trip much later, where I wanted to stay for more than a day or two and perhaps partake in a Billy-A-Thon, as well as see another show (Bonnie & Clyde) I was anxious to see. Well, as it turned out, it didn't take long to realize those plans weren't going to happen next Spring or Summer, so I booked a quick trip to catch one performance of each show in December before they both closed up shop.

I truly hope the U.S. touring production will continue on and on for years to come so that everyone throughout the whole country may have an opportunity to see this show. I'm very excited about the tour stopping in Los Angeles for at least 40 performances starting April 11th, 2012. The Pantages Theatre is where I may experience my first Billy-A-Thon, and I can hardly wait!

Steve
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

angelenroute wrote:I’m not sure what there is to say now about the close of the Broadway production of Billy Elliot.
Sean, your post about Transitions reminds me of how Billy starts off Electricity with "I can't really explain it" and then finds the means to provide an absolutely incredible explanation! A wonderful perspective and retrospective on the event and especially since it's been 2.5 weeks elapsed time. But the timing works out great; it is a fine time to refresh those memories.

Although you mentioned a few times already how the transitions were not simply at easy points in the show, I'll underscore that as well with a thought that struck me during the performance. It would have been understandable if changing of Billys coincided with costume changes, but it reflected the commitment to highest quality that they did not do that. Even to the point where a Billy would enter in one costume for a mere 15 seconds of stage time before going off for a change. This was most notable in Joseph's entrance for the Oi Baryshnikov chaines(?), Class Dismissed, Solidarity sequence and also when Tade was first on stage wearing the sleep robe only to be replaced seconds later by Joseph. Perhaps these costume changes are a minor item in the grand scheme of things, but still worth a shout out to those who made it happen.
angelenroute wrote:People started applauding too early—or so I thought. A surprise! I didn’t even know why they were clapping, the transition was so quick and surprising.
This is where I have to chuckle since I can talk about having the exact opposite thought at exactly the same time, having been lucky enough to see Joseph appear: Why aren't people clapping for the entrance of Joseph when they've applauded the entrances of other Billys?
angelenroute wrote:Now in an awful bit of bad luck, he has to get punched in the face by Billy!
He didn't get punched by Billy. Just pushed over. :lol:
angelenroute wrote:Billy WILL return to Broadway one day, and I plan to be there for First Preview once he’s back. This is not a Swan Song. It’s only Intermission!
Thinking about the effort that would be involved makes me shudder, but if that day were to happen, I would welcome it with open arms (and wallet ;)). In the meantime, it was such a privilege to see the greatest show that Broadway has known.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Sean, thank you for such a wonderful review. It was an emotional read and I really felt like I was there.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Billy Elliot The Musical will return to Broadway. If the tour is a financial success, it will be sooner rather than later. The original Broadway production cost 18 million dollars to stage. But the tour can be converted to a Broadway revival at a small fraction of that. Only a recovery of our economy, combined with a strong demand for the tour, is needed for the eventual return to Broadway.
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

I agree with the above post. The tour production is like Billy Elliot Light......but as was so well thought out, it IS and WILL make money in this style of production. This show has legs.....The crowds in Cincinnati were 85 to 95% full at each show....A HUGE success....

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”