Reviews -Tel Aviv

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Reviews -Tel Aviv

Post by kport »

I am moved by this review. And I am amazed to read that this cineplex created the stage for this production!

http://www.thejc.com/lifestyle/lifestyl ... raelis-cry
eladlaur2
Audience Member

A review for the 16/06/16 show in Tel Aviv

Post by eladlaur2 »

I've seen Billy Elliot twice in London - the Billys were Elliott Hanna and Nat Sweeney (both were great). I saw the show in Tel Aviv and had really lousy seats, so maybe my review is affected by this. There were a few technical problems during the show (like Billy's microphone falling a few times) and that also affected my review . It also caused Billy to miss one dancing scene in "Solidarity" which was a real shame.
Let's talk about the cast:
Billy - Shon Granot Zilbershtein. Acting skills and dancing were descent. His singing skills were surprisingly good . He is also a lot older then the London Billys I have seen (He is 15). Had a scene where his mic fell off and he managed to continue the whole scene holding it in his hand. (Expressing yourself). I think this damaged the whole dance and he managed to stay in focus, but only with one hand (it was very distracting). It happened also in "Solidarity" and cuased him to miss a part of the dance. The "Electricity" dance was really great and very imppressive. He did a great job in "Angry Dance" also.
Michael - Sahar Lev-Shomer. Was excellent and prefect for the role. Both as an actor and a singer. One of best scenes was "Expressing yourself" and the chemistry between the actors was great (even with one hand).
Mrs. Wilkinson - Dafna Dekel. A very good singer and actress, not much of a dancer . She really managed to be both emotional and funny at the same time. I was very suprised by her acting skills because she' used to be a singer, not a professional actress.
Dad (Avi Kushnir) and Tony (Oshri Cohen). They did they're parts very well, but because they are very famous in Israel it was hard for me to be persuaded entirely by they're performance. The song that Avi (Dad) sings was pretty moving.
Grandma - Dina Doron. She was great, and it shows that she's an experienced actress. The "Grandma song" was excellent - funny and moving.
And now about the show:
The translation to Hebrew was great with a few chnges(even though a few lines sounds weird in Hebrew) and the songs were pretty much the same."Solidarity" for example was translated to "Iron Fist" (even though solidarity has the same meaning in hebrew). They added a few lines and jokes and a less cursing , there were quite a lot Maggie Thatcher speeches throughout the show. The live orchestra was great and not too loud. The theatre is brand new so the seats were comfortable and spacious. The acting was descent and the actors that played Micheal and Mrs. Wilkinson were very excellent. They added a few explanations about the Miner's strike and Maggie Thatcher for the Israeli audience and changed the video at the beginning. The set was a bit different, and they didn't have the rotating staircase with Billy's bed. This major change really cause a few scenes to lose their dramatic effect, especially "angry dance" and the letter scene . The stage was not as big as in the VPT, and that's why I think there were less ensemble members.
But there are a few changes I didn't like at all. Even though th he central storyline remained unchanged some of the major scenes were altered. The first act is almost identical. They altered the "I like to boogie" dance, and instead of using jump ropes they used broom to dance. Mr. Braithwaite is called Barney, and his charechter is a bit diffrent (he's messy and eccentric)
But in the second act they altered it quite a bit and not in a good way (this is my own opinion of course..).
The "Marry Christmas Maggie Thatcher" scene was without the jokes before the curtain unveils, and there was no giant Maggie Thatcher puppet (only a small one). The whole scene a lot less funny .
The audition scene was very different. They dropped the whole audition with the cassette and they really didn't show how Billy hit the other kid. They moved straight to the "Electricity scene".
There is no “William Elliot Is Queer/Esquire” scene probably because of the translation. The lines about the "The Philistines/Palestinians" were changed to "ignorant people" (political issues of course).
The last song where Billy wrote a letter to his mom was completely gone, and they just showed her standing on stage at the last songs of the miners ( :o ). At the end of the show after Micheal shouts for Billy "Hey, Dancing boy!" - Billy just goes away and doesn't give him a kiss. The final scene where Michael stands and the orchestra plays, was way too short and not dramatic and emotional as the original scene.
The finale was very different with just a small tap number (done by Dad!!!). That was very disappointing because it's a great dance.
But the real disappointment was the choreography and the dancing itself. This was in no way as the original play. All the cast dancing scenes were shorter and they were not in perfect sync. Billy's dance scenes were also a little shorter, a lot less complicated and overall the dancing level was mediocre. Maybe beacuse the stage was smaller...
I must admit that the scene when they are reading Billy's letter from the Royal Ballet School was better and funnier then the original. The chemestry between the actors was also great. In "Angry dance" the music went silent, and it was also an improvment.
If I watched the play without watching the original, I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more. I was a little disappointed after this show because when I saw the play for the first time I was blown away from the dancing scenes (especially the finale). But I must admit that overall production was good and in a relatively high standard, and it nice to see the show in Israel. The most disappointing thing was the technical problems .
I hope it will inspire the poeple in Israel.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A review for the 16/06/16 show in Tel Aviv

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your review of the Tel Aviv show. It is very interesting to know how the production is being tweaked to fit the situation as it makes its way around the world. I hope you get to see it again from a better seat location, and I hope the technical problems with mics, etc. will be ironed out soon.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
eladlaur2
Audience Member

Post by eladlaur2 »

ERinVA wrote:Thanks for your review of the Tel Aviv show. It is very interesting to know how the production is being tweaked to fit the situation as it makes its way around the world. I hope you get to see it again from a better seat location, and I hope the technical problems with mics, etc. will be ironed out soon.
The technical problems drove me crazy. It was really hard for Billy to concentrate and dance while holding the mic in his hand. And it happened twice!! and Miss Wilkinson fixed it during the scene.
And there were quite a lot Maggie Thatcher speeches throughout the show...
Darth_Revan
Ballet Girl

Post by Darth_Revan »

I saw the same show on Thursday and the microphone bit was very annoying. Problems do happen, but they should have fixed it for the first try! Or stop the show between solidarity and expressing yourself to attach the transmitter properly.

Billy did a great job to handle the unfortunate situation.

You did not mention the small change in the angry dance when the music went silent. That was very powerful and i loved it!

I was a little disappointed at the finale as well, I assumed the actor playing dad was way too famous and that was the reason he got more time on the stage instead of Billy. Bad decision.

Overall I liked the show and the children were very talented.
---
István
Darth_Revan
Ballet Girl

Post by Darth_Revan »

And one more thing: I loved little Maggie! It looked like miley cyrus on the ball :)
---
István
eladlaur2
Audience Member

Post by eladlaur2 »

Darth_Revan wrote:I saw the same show on Thursday and the microphone bit was very annoying. Problems do happen, but they should have fixed it for the first try! Or stop the show between solidarity and expressing yourself to attach the transmitter properly.

Billy did a great job to handle the unfortunate situation.

You did not mention the small change in the angry dance when the music went silent. That was very powerful and i loved it!

I was a little disappointed at the finale as well, I assumed the actor playing dad was way too famous and that was the reason he got more time on the stage instead of Billy. Bad decision.

Overall I liked the show and the children were very talented.
little Maggie was cute, but I prefer the original giant one.
The technical problems were a big issue for me and very distracting.
The actor that played Dad is very famous, but I don't think he got more time then Billy.
About the Angry Dance - you are right (I edited my review)
It was still very enjoyable, and I plan to see again (maybe this week).
I'm guessing that you watched the show without knowing hebrew?
Darth_Revan
Ballet Girl

Post by Darth_Revan »

eladlaur2 wrote:.
The actor that played Dad is very famous, but I don't think he got more time then Billy.
I meant during the finale. Dad was doing the tapping instead of Billy.
eladlaur2 wrote: I'm guessing that you watched the show without knowing hebrew?
Yeah, I don't speak Hebrew.
---
István
eladlaur2
Audience Member

Post by eladlaur2 »

Darth_Revan wrote:
eladlaur2 wrote: I'm guessing that you watched the show without knowing hebrew?
Yeah, I don't speak Hebrew.
Well he was the host of "Dancing with the Stars" in Israel, so he probably picked a few moves...
And watching the show in hebrew - did you came to Israel especially for this?
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Darth_Revan wrote:
It's possible he's just a much better tapper, and since the audience wouldn't know the difference otherwise, they just switched it up.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee

Return to “Reviews - Tel Aviv”