Kinky Boots

Chat about other shows here
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kinky Boots

Post by ERinVA »

Do these people who are complaining not realize that all the performers in Priscilla were drag queens? :roll: I don't remember there being any uproar over that performance. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps their number during the parade wasn't featured on TV. :? Does anyone remember?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Those of us in the UK may not understand what this is all about. Any information would be helpful.
Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Post by Borrobil »

Todd wrote: I can see where some parents might "have some explainin' to do" ;)
At first sight I was going to say, parents had better teach their kids then. But after seeing the video, I have to say the nay sayers are right this time.

Not having seen the rest of the show I can’t comment on it, but that routine clearly celebrates the Fetishist edge of Transvestitism (TV), and does nothing to celebrate or promote LGBT acceptance. (where the T stands for Transsexual (TS) in the UK at least). In my view Prescilla helped the understanding of relationships in TS from TV and Gay, in a round-about way. Importantly it eventually gives a positive message for family integration within LGBT relationships.

I don’t hold any such expectations on a show resorting to Union Jack Flaunting and Yeoman Warder insulting steriotypes.
~ Paul ~
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

kport wrote:Those of us in the UK may not understand what this is all about. Any information would be helpful.
Kinky Boots did a featured number as part of the Macy's parade, kport. It was broadcast by NBC, as were the numbers performed by other Broadway casts. There was an uproar on twitter and social media from some viewers who thought it should not have been broadcast. I don't know if there was any protest from folks who were actually present at the parade or not.

Again, here's the link to the video of the performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cpDRI_Vrig
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Borrobil wrote:I don’t hold any such expectations on a show resorting to Union Jack Flaunting and Yeoman Warder insulting steriotypes.
Well, the musical version of Kinky Boots (adapted from a British movie of the same name) originated on the West End, not on Broadway. The numbers in the medley originated in the British show, and I assume the costuming did as well. Again, perhaps someone who saw it during its London run can enlighten us.

I have seen the movie, but I must add that I have not had an opportunity to see the musical. From what I know from the movie, the premise of the boots in the story is that the drag queens, being men, are having a very difficult time finding high heels and boots to wear in their shows because women's shoes/boots do not come in sizes they can use. The new owner of a failing men's shoe factory known for very conservative styles (who has inherited the business from his father), seizes an opportunity to keep his factory open and his staff from losing their jobs by working with the main character, "Lola," to create footwear to meet his and his fellow performers' needs. It turns out to be a win/win for both sides, since the factory stays open, the performers get their footwear, and people's minds are broadened in the process. So as far as I know, the story itself is not actually about fetishism, although the wikipedia article refers to the footwear as "fetish-style" footwear, hence the word "Kinky" as part of the brand name and the title of the show.
Ellen

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Oops, I take that back. The musical did originate in the US. But its source is a British film.
Ellen

Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Post by Borrobil »

Thanks ErInVA, Now I know the actual story, it could actually be inspiring.
But you have to admit the opening shot of a half undressed businessman looking like he's just left work to go to the red light district, flanked by two dolls dressed in red with thigh length boots, can only be for shock value.

Incidentally, Now I recognise the (true) story, 'cus the factory that the actual story follows, was in Northamptonshire, about 15miles from my home at that time, and the film was very relevant at the time, for its social comment. (If a bit cheaply produced)
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/ ... s-1-881352
~ Paul ~
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I just watched the video for the first time (missed it when it was on TV the other day). There's nothing new or shocking here, although people will be offended by all manner of things if they choose. That said, though cross-dressing is celebrated by the collective GLBT (and various addendum acronym) community, it's not particular to any gender or sexual preference. In fact there are plenty of completely straight people who like cross-dressing, and only do it with GLBT people because that's the easier place to find acceptance and support.

The bigger issue (and a whole 'nother topic in itself) is the huge difference between transsexual and transvestite. You don't choose your sexual attraction any more than you do your gender. You can choose to be beautiful though and find that beauty in what you've got, or, well, make other necessary changes. I'm no expert on that, so I won't presume to take that conversation any further! :D

Main message and long story short--too late--is, Kinky Boots is clearly about a lot more than what you wear or how you express yourself. It seems to be filled with wonderful encouragements to support one another and love your neighbor! In that spirit, I continue to wish it every success!

Sean
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I think there has been drag on Broadway for as long as I can remember. Think of Rocky Horror, La Cage, Hedwig, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Hair Spray, Priscilla, just to name a very few. Also I don't think that by performing this number at the parade they were trying to make any case for a particular sexual orientation. It is simply for entertainment. At least that's how I would look at it.

Here is how the cast of Kinky Boots responded to the criticism.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/0 ... lp00000009
:/
debbiefan
Tall Boy

Post by debbiefan »

My mom saw show last weekend and she said it was a wonderful show. They had a u/s on for role of Charlie. Funny part about that is the person that went on, his aunt is the grandma of one of children from my mom preschool kids. Small world lol I mightn't see it when it comes to denver.
Billly ELliot
Denver: Lex as Billy Griffin as Michael and River as Tall Boy

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”