Imperial Theater

Chat about other shows here
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Imperial Theater

Post by CJ-Rochester »

This poster was spotted in Shubert Alley. It looked too good to be true, until you read the next to last line. :P
Thanks to Clue for the find.

:/
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

JFK to LHR will be the only solution......................

I was at the Ogunquit Playhouse today, talking to the management. They would have killed to have BETM go there for June/July, had it been offered when dates were fixed.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Here is what the marquee of our beloved Imperial Theatre looks like now, getting ready for Les Mis.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/LE ... y-20140112
:/
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

CJ-Rochester wrote:Here is what the marquee of our beloved Imperial Theatre looks like now, getting ready for Les Mis.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/LE ... y-20140112
Quite the impressive high tech sign. But I'll really be impressed when it shows some form of this:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Here is the latest look of the Imperial. Les Miz has closed and the theater is getting ready for "Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812".

https://www.facebook.com/GreatCometBway ... =3&theater
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

In the photo, I can see that the parking garage next door is coming down. Anyone know what they are doing with the site?
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

LiamM wrote:In the photo, I can see that the parking garage next door is coming down. Anyone know what they are doing with the site?
The parking garage next to the Imperial has indeed come down. For the past several months that area has been fenced off. There is no indication what may come next for the property.

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I recently returned to the Imperial after a five year absence to see the current production: Natasha, Pierre, and The Great Comet of 1812. Sadly I didn't care for the show, despite the star power and lovely singing of Josh Groban.

It was fascinating to see how the theatre has been transformed to fit the new production. There are serpentine paths cut through the orchestra level seats for actors to walk and dance on. New steps in the house connect the mezzanine and orchestra right in front of the box seats. Cocktail tables are interspersed throughout the house, replacing previous seats. An additional 200 or so seats are now on stage, in an amphitheater-like arrangement. Basically it looks like one big party atmosphere. Sadly the seats have the same poor leg room. The restrooms are still woefully inadequate, and have not changed one bit.

The "Angry Doors":

The main lobby, where the Billy cast board was:

The box office line, where diehard BETM fans often lined up for cancellation tickets:

View of the 'stage':

Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

It will be interesting to see how much of the reconfiguration is strictly for the current production, and whether they'll return it to more of a traditional theater seating arrangement after the next production moves in. Not sure I'm a big fan of the current set-up, based on the pictures. It seems like they're going for more of a nightclub feel, which would be a bit distracting to me with the walkway going through the audience, all the gold railings, stair cases, hanging light fixtures, and bridge work.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Yes it does have a nightclub feel. I think that's the intent. Much of the show has the feeling you are at a Russian party. The look reminded me of clubs one often sees on a cruise ship. The hanging starburst light fixtures go up and down throughout the show.

I was told by one of the house staff that the green and grey walls and floor in the lobby are just covering over what was there before. I imagine it can revert back quite easily once the show ends.

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”