School of Rock

Chat about other shows here
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

School of Rock

Post by kport »

Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber is on the lookout for child stars of his upcoming show, School of Rock, at The Winter Garden, where Cats purred for 18 years:

http://pagesix.com/2015/02/17/broadways ... d-rockers/
1RadBilly
Tall Boy

Re: School of Rock

Post by 1RadBilly »

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Chris Jones, of the Chicago Tribune, gives School of Rock a very positive review:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... olumn.html
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

It looks like all of the major critics gave it a good review, even the NY Times. This surprises me, since so many critics seem to have been anti-Andrew Lloyd Weber since Phantom opened.

http://www.didhelikeit.com/shows/school ... eview.html
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

I attended a performance of "School of Rock" on March 12 and found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable show. I must say that I went into it expecting to enjoy it, since I was a big fan of the movie of which the show is based. Even with those high expectations, it was even better than I thought it would be. Alex Brightman - who plays the lead character which was played by Jack Black in the movie - was off the day I was there. But the alternate who filled in for him - Jonathan Wagner - was excellent. Although I was initially disappointed to find out I wouldn't be seeing the regular actor in the role, I was reminded yet again how good these performers are who appear on Broadway and the West End. There were probably hundreds of people who auditioned to play this part, so what I was seeing was the # 2 guy on that list of hundreds. So I shouldn't have been surprised that he was very good. I know we've commented here many times on "Billy Elliot" reviews about how good the alternates are who perform when the regular actor has a day off, so I should have known better than to be initially disappointed. And also like Billy Elliot, he's on stage about 90% of the show and gives a very high-energy performance with lots of running, shouting, and dialogue to remember.

The kid performers were all very talented, and played their own instruments (a recorded announcement before the show by Andrew Lloyd Webber verified this fact). Although only 11 to 13 years of age, they sounded like they could hold their own with any adult guitar, bass, keyboard player, or drummer in any rock band. On top of that, they had to act and sing, which they did a fine job with as well. The music - being more heavy rock than most Broadway shows - didn't seem like the kind of show that Andrew Lloyd Weber would get involved with. But the songs were quite catchy, and there were several ballads and classically-influenced numbers where he was able to craft his familiar style of show tunes. A couple of the songs were taken directly from the movie and were not Lloyd Webber's compositions. In fact, much of the dialogue was taken directly from the film as well, so it's a pretty faithful adaptation to the original. There was a bit more focus on the relationships between the kids and their parents, resulting in one of my favorite moments of the show called "If Only You Would Listen" that had me dabbing at the eyes more than once. Here's a short bit of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LrMWE6Asdg

My only constructive criticism would be that some of the dialogue was lost due to the background music being a bit loud at times. Several times I wished they would deliver the lines with no instruments playing, as several humorous lines got lost because of it. Had I not been familiar with the dialogue and the show from having seen the movie, there probably would have been other parts I would have missed out on as well.

All in all, I highly recommend this show, especially if you're a fan of rock music, as the movie itself was what I would describe as a humorous love letter to rock music appreciation. I found it quite funny and enjoyed that same sense of celebration of kids achieving their dreams with the support of caring adults, as is present in "Billy Elliot." If guitars and drums are not your thing and your tastes run more along the lines of "My Fair Lady," then this show might not be for you.
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

Thanks for your review, Todd. I'm really looking forward to the show coming to London :D . I'm so glad that Andrew Lloyd Webber has "gone back to his roots" with a good rock show. I have bought the Broadway Original Cast Recording and the music and songs are brilliant - if you like guitars and drums! Like you, I adored the movie too!
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

Wrapping up my Broadway weekend was a session at School of Rock Sunday evening May 8. I had not seen the movie and judging from what I saw from the musical, I don't think the movie would hold my attention very long. The plot, such as it is, is corny and full of holes. However, the music and performances by the kids and Alex Brightman more than make up for this. Excellent all around and there is an infectious energy that exudes from the stage, making it a show well worth seeing.

Of note last night was the "graduation" as they call it of Dante Melucci, the 13-year-old drummer. As with BETM, it is a neverending challenge for the production that kids grow up. As mind-blowingly impressive as they are, they cannot stay all that long in these roles. Along with that comes the wait to see what these talented youngsters may find next in life; with their abilities, usually a good bet that we will hear from them again.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I saw School of Rock this past weekend and really enjoyed it. Most of the cast has turned over since the show first opened. Everyone I saw was top notch.

There are actually two stories or themes going on. One is the lazy slob who can't hold a job because all he wants to do is play his guitar in a rock band. The other is about the kids he ends up teaching. They attend a well-to-do private school where they are pigeon-holed by their parents to follow a certain path. It turns out many of them have talents in other areas, which get unleashed by their unorthodox new teacher. This theme should be familiar to BETM fans, imagine rock music instead of ballet. Both musicals show how kids can do amazing things when given the chance and the right coaching. Seeing these young kids play their own instruments, and do it so well, was truly amazing!

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”