Jagged Little Pill

Chat about other shows here
atreyu
George

Jagged Little Pill

Post by atreyu »

Okay, so strictly speaking, it is not clear at the time of this writing exactly when and where Jagged Little Pill will show up on Broadway. That it will go there is not in doubt which is why this entry is in the Other Shows - New York section. And when it arrives it will be HUGE. Keep an eye out for it and get tickets quickly because they will be scarce. There is no need to wait for Opening night, what I saw last night at A.R.T. was ready for Broadway. Now. Oh, there is always room for tweaking and improvement, but I expect any changes will be minor.

I was not sure what to expect from this brand new musical beyond a CJ-Rochester comment figuring this to be "weighty" plus my knowledge that Diane Pippin Finding Neverland Waitress Paulus is one fantastic director. As it turned out, both of these are spot on descriptions; yes it's weighty and that allows the brilliance of a director to shine through. What I left the theatre with was a profound sense of amazement at the sheer artistry on display in the presentation of such weigthy issues. With plenty of innovation, not the same old same old.

And how each piece of the musical just felt right. The choreography may not be of the BETM or Newsies knock-your-socks-off variety, but it plays its role perfectly. The music never felt like jukebox, it coalesces with the other parts to fit right. The story has substance and the cast performs their roles wondefully, excellent singing and characterizations. Elizabeth Stanley as the clear lead along with Celia Gooding, but special mention to Lauren Patten. She has an incredible set of pipes to the extent that I can almost describe it as You haven't lived until you hear Patten perform You Oughta Know. Almost. Instead, we'll observe how she delivers a literally show-stopping rendition of that number.

As much as I would like to recommend those who are or will be traveling in the Boston area to get tickets to see Jagged Little Pill, it is a moot point. The remainder of the run is completely sold out. Perhaps they will extend, but those tickets will go very fast as well. So get ready for Broadway and do not miss it there.

One note of caution, the themes and some scenes in this musical are likely not suitable for pre-teens. Even for early teens, parents will probably want to evaluate what is most appropriate. Or for the non-editorialized version, the program states the following. "PLEASE NOTE: This production contains haze, strobe lights and content that some audience members may find distressing: strong language, drug use and abuse, and sexual violence."

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”