Dear Evan Hansen

Chat about other shows here
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Dear Evan Hansen

Post by CJ-Rochester »

"Dear Evan Hansen" took Off-Broadway by storm this spring, selling out nearly every performance during its limited two month run at Second Stage Theatre. It's a new musical in the similar vein as "Next to Normal", ie: mental health issues, but among teens. It's directed by Michael Greif (Rent, and Next to Normal).

I had the chance to see it in early May and was blown away. The show is fantastic and very moving! The show will move to Broadway this fall. Previews start in November, with opening Dec 1st. I predict it will be a huge hit in next year's season.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/185086/ben ... an-hansen/

Recently the show won a couple of OBIE awards. Here is the star Ben Platt singing the signature number "Waving Through A Window":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYa0WPCg-HY
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Dear Evan Hansen

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I attended the first preview performance of DEAR EVAN HANSEN, now playing at the Music Box Theatre (next door to the Imperial). The show had a very well-received off-Broadway run in the spring.

I loved it! It is similar in some ways to NEXT TO NORMAL (even the same director), being a fast-paced musical that deals with mental health issues. In this case it is teen suicide and severe anxiety. No, it is not depressing at all, and is very well crafted. It's a beautiful and moving show with brilliant original ideas for both the story and the staging.

Rochester's Michael Park gives a very moving performance of a dad who has lost his son but wants to be strong for his family.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Dear Evan Hansen

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Evans are like Billys, in that pretty much the entire weight of the show rests on the performance of one young actor. I've had the privilege of seeing five different Evans in the past three years (since it first ran Off-Broadway). Each one brings something unique and special to the character (again like Billys).

The character Evan is a 17 year old high school senior. Generally Broadway (as well as TV and movies) prefers young-looking adults to play teenager roles. The casting of Andrew Barth Feldman, a real 16 year old teenager, is unusual. I was curious to see how this has worked out. Last week I attended the show and was quite pleased.

Andrew is an amazing talent!!! His singing voice has a lovely quality. At times he sounds a bit timid, especially on the high notes. His voice is still developing. However as an actor he is quite masterful in his mannerisms, facial expressions, and comic timing. He is by far the funniest Evan I've seen.

In the scene where Heidi meets the Murphys, the horrified look on Andrew's face when he realizes he's been caught lying is just precious. He looked like he'd seen a ghost. The audience was rolling with laughter.

We had an understudy, Nicole Van Giesen, playing Heidi. She did very well and had most of the audience in tears during "So Big/So Small".

Michael Park continues to impress and strengthen the character of Larry. He got all choked up during the
"Break in a Glove" song, something I hadn't seen previously. Well done!

In three years of running (including Off-Broadway), DEH continues to resonate with audiences, especially younger folks (or those who remember being young). The tour has been running since last year. The Toronto production just opened, and it will open in London this fall. Hopefully everyone will have a chance to see it.
--Chris

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”