Site Admin

Re: Ocean State Theatre (RI) Reviews

Post by porschesrule »

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I attended the second preview. I do not review previews, but I was very impressed with this production's potential, and especially with Matthew Dean.

I will write a detailed review after seeing both shows this Thursday.
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

This is much a more critical review, written even before the show opens

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... 2-year-old

This background article about the selection of Matthew Dean positive

http://www.rhodeisland.com/do/2016/09/2 ... ical-back/
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Here's a very positive review from Edge Media Network:

http://providence.edgemedianetwork.com/ ... lly_elliot
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

The Warwick Post chimes in with its own very positive review:

http://warwickpost.com/billy-elliot-the ... e-theatre/
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Ocean State Theater Production Review (20 min from my house -lucky me)

The ocean state theater is a relatively small nonprofit community regional theater which has been in operation for five years. Taking on a huge production like Billy Elliot is a huge undertaking. It seems they were anxious to take it on and I for one am glad they did. I don't think I have ever seen a set as beautiful and functional as the one they created for the show. They worked hard to find Matthew Dean to play the role of Billy. And also found Tony Weissinger for the role of Michael. All the major roles Mrs. W, dad, Tony, have extensive backgrounds in musical theater. All gave very strong convincing performances.

There is always some interest among forum members in differences from Broadway and the tour. In this production there was no small boy, however there was a small girl. Some scenes felt a bit empty for example the boxing lesson had just Billy and Michael. This production did not use tap dancing in express. Instead went for a kind of jazz interpretation using mirrors. Angry dance was wonderfully staged and choreographed. Very similar to what I had just seen at Fulton. Here Matthew provided a dazzling performance. His tapping was extraordinary, his screams and facial expressions showed real anger and rage mixed with agony and frustration. He was really on fire. There is no curtain in this theater which by the way has a very large and wide stage area. For the opening Christmas scene they did something very clever. Cast came out on the stage a few at a time and started decorating the union hall for Christmas a few more entered, some kids, minors carrying bottles of beer and distributing them and finally father Christmas comes out and they proceed with the annual Christmas show. Dad Christopher Swan, saying deep into the ground as beautifully as I have ever heard it, there was no distraction no one moved chairs everyone stayed until Billy and dad concluded the song. It was very touching. In dream ballet there was no flying. It was beautifully done and choreographed, Matthew being a very competent and beautiful ballet dancer along with older Billy provided a beautiful dance sequence. Billy was at times held up in the flying position totally over older Billy's head quite spectacular. The highlight was electricity. Matthew's voice is soft and sweet, but he let it build very effectively. It was his dancing that totally blew me away. I have not seen a better performance in a very long time. Matthew is an accomplished gymnast, weaving aerials, and flips with beautiful ballet turns and concluding with 22 continuous pirouettes. Just beautiful. He brought the house down.

There were some weaknesses in this production most of which perhaps could not have been avoided due to financial concerns and other resources. The orchestra for example consisted of two keyboards, one guitar, one trumpet, and drums that were far too loud. The music from the keyboard's were barely heard. The major songs that were sung by the entire company could have been a bit stronger. I felt that the grandmother did exceptionally good job with her song, but played the role a bit over-the-top. Mrs. W, Tony, and dad turned in excellent performances and were a joy to watch. Clearly a tremendous amount of effort, energy, and excitement when into putting this production together. It was an extraordinary effort and worthy of praise. Well done ocean state keep up the good work.
muck912
Tall Boy

Post by muck912 »

A family reunion on Cape Cod meant that my daughter and I could see last Wednesday's performance in Warwick with only a slight detour from our Syracuse to Cape Cod route. This would be my 4th regional production following Ogunquit, Beverly, & Lancaster. The other 3 were very good and we were hoping for the same quality here.

The show starts and the curtain didn't go up because there is no curtain. There is no Thatcher/Hazeltine film. There is no small boy. No Ali/Clay line. No extravagant choreography for Grandma's Song, No race to put on tap shoes in Express because there is no tapping in Express. No Billy/Dead Mum hug in the Letter. No jump ropes in Boogie. No piano flip in Boogie. No orange microphoned pants in Angry Dance. No flying. No chairs whatsoever in Electricity. No walk down the aisle at the end for Billy. And no Billy with any professional experience whatsoever.

So with all of these things missing from the show, was I downhearted? Absolutely not!!! I enjoyed this show more than any I've seen in a long, long time. I"ve seen BE over 80 times with about 30 different Billys involved. I've always looked at Myles Erlick as the Gold Standard for Billys. In Chicago/Toronto/Broadway Myles did it all spectacularly well. You can check my archived reviews of his breathtaking Toronto & Broadway performances. Those reviews contained superlatives on top of superlatives. Myles' Angry Dance was tremendous but there was one other Angry Dance that I liked even better - Broadway's Peter Mazurowsky. Peter's was frantic tapping and passionate screams. Matthew Dean, a 12 year old Californian is Warwick's only Billy. He is only 2 weeks into his professional career and this unbelievable kid reminds me so much of Erlick & Mazurowsky. This guy has never been to Billy School, but somehow he just GETS it. His acting and timing are spot on. He sings beautifully, especially when he belts out the last verse in Electricity. His dancing is amazing (check out Joe's review of the same show). But his Angry Dance is one for the ages! The tapping is frenetic, the screams are bone-chilling, and he throws himself down to the stage more violently than any Billy I have ever seen. This Angry Dance should be taped and used to train every future regional or tour Billy.

Drop anything you have planned this final week and get to Warwick (2 miles from the Providence airport) to see this dynamo in action. If you've already seen it, go again. Good seats are available. You also would want to see him in Phoenix next month or Berkeley after that.

But it is not just Matthew Dean who shines. This is a strong cast from top to bottom. Tony Weissinger is a funny Michael and Christopher Swan is the perfect Jackie. And the creative team in Warwick did a nice job adapting the material to their budget and theater. There were no chairs in Electricity but who needs them? The same old cartwheel off the chairs is stale. There was no flying but this longer pas de deux was beautifully done. The set was more elaborate than the tour's.

And how about the nerve of this Warwick creative team. Here they have this big production of Billy Elliot to put on and for a Billy they decide to go with a 12 year old who has never set foot on a professional stage.. He is also a kid they can't audition (I presume) because he is in California. They probably saw a video of him playing Billy in a children's production. There is no understudy so they were hoping this little guy could carry the 3 hour show on his back for all 5 shows a week (including 2 shows every Saturday). They took a big gamble but it paid off big time.

Return to “Reviews - Ocean State Theatre”