Venice Theatre production of "Billy Elliot" Review

Ed Berger421
Audience Member

Venice Theatre production of "Billy Elliot" Review

Post by Ed Berger421 »

It's been awhile since i last had the privilege of visiting the The Billy Elliot Forum, but i come to bring you good news.I spent the weekend over in Venice ,Florida seeing a brand new production Of Billy Elliot starring two newcomers as Billy.Carson Maschmeier, and Patrick Higgins.
Carson played tall boy in the Maltz Theatre production in Jupiter Florida in December 2015.This is his debut as Billy.Patrick Higgins is also making his debut, in fact this is his first show.
I saw Carson on Friday night and was very impressed with his performance.It was as if he had been playing the role for a long time,you could see he was very familiar with every nuance and movement that we have come to know and expect in seeing the show.He made a wonderful Billy. After the show he was out in the lobby greeting people who seemed all the more delighted that "The Star" was there in person. Also talked to his mom who is a lovely woman and very proud mom.
Saturday I had tickets for the matinee and the 8PM show, knowing I would see the Newcomer Patrick in one of them. Well, turns out that he did both shows. I was completely taken by surprise at his stellar performances, know this was his first time as Billy. Well i have to tell you,you would have thought he had done the show on the road in 25 cities. He never missed a beat , his facial expressions, his accent, his movements were of a much more experienced actor, and certainly a veteran Billy. He also came out after both show, and as Carson, was swarmed by an adoring crowd.All in all both boys are marvelous, brilliant, competent,and a complete joy to watch every moment they are on stage, and even in the lobby afterwards...My sincere congrats to both of them.They are equally perfect.
There are some changes that take getting used to in this production , that is if you have seen it 40 times or so as i have, but they are small and nothing to complain about.One big thing to me was during the Billy and Michael segment, they didn't have the shiny backdrop for the boys finale. Like i said "pretty nit picky".
Michael ,played by Judah Woomert is great and plays the role to the hilt.A ball of energy and mischief he was loads of fun.Not his first time on the Venice stage,you just knew he really loved his role.
Allin All a fine cast,I hope some of you get over there between now and December 4th....

Return to “Reviews - Venice Theatre”