Wheelock reviews

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Wheelock reviews

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Here's the place for reviews. Hoping to read some good ones before I see the show next month.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Wheelock reviews

Post by kport »

Billy Elliot Dances into Wheelock Family Theatre
and the audience loves it!

Friday January 27th. Opening Night.

It is not my habit of reviewing opening nights, but in this case I will bend that rule: the first show literally leapt as though fully formed from the brow of Zeus! Regional theatres usually take a few performances to achieve a sense of security and confidence, but from the first notes sung by the miners, it was abundantly clear that this cast is exceptionally strong, well drilled and full of passion for this musical.

Their passion was aided by one of the most receptive and animated audiences I have witnessed: I formed the opinion that Wheelock has its own atmosphere that positively revels in live theatre. Almost every song - or movement in a lengthier number - received applause and, where appropriate, cheers. None was stronger than that given for Seth Judice's amazing performance of Electricity, which was simply world class. The ovation and cheering continued for a minute, as he held his pose and smiled. There is flying, beautifully done, paired with an Older Billy who looks just a few years older that Billy himself - an interesting idea last seen at The Company Theatre. The use of profanity is controlled; as far as I could tell the F-bombs were replaced whenever it might be said by, or addressed to, a child. At show's end (there is no Finale, but instead a curtain call) the audience rose to its feet for a standing ovation, as the first ballet girls came out to take their bow. For a moment, it seemed as though this cast had just arrived in Boston on its national tour, such is its confidence and panache.

The theatre is a gem: modern; a perfect size, with seats raked so that every view is unimpeded; the stage is wide and deep; the orchestra is the larger arrangement (17 instruments) like the West End's, or Broadway's. The tempi were snappy; and the orchestra (under the stage, with the DM seen through a hole near the front of the stage), was perfectly mic'd through the theatre's first class sound system. The lighting was accomplished, and the set itself looked as many others, with a few interesting modifications that made sense - one being that the loo was part of stage left, so that Billy could change quickly with the help of a dresser while his face could still be seen. Each show is closed captioned, and the seats are brand new. The first show went without a technical hitch, hesitation or pause - a commendable accomplishment for such a complex musical.

It is wonderful to see some familiar faces in the cast: several Ballet Girls have performed in regionals elsewhere, and at least one was in the first regional at Ogunquit in 2014. Shane Boucher (from last summer's show in Manchester, NH) is the consummate Michael; and his pairing with Seth Judice is perfection. As for Seth, he is a triple threat to be reckoned with (make that a quadruple threat, as he adds acro to his dancing, so rarely seen in regionals). His voice is beautiful, cutting to the essence of the lyrics and with a little vibrato when called for. His dancing is simply stunning. Watching his face cuts to the heart. There is no question in my mind that Shane and Seth are on a par with any two that have held these roles on any stage. I curse the fact that there is no tour so that these two - and others currently or recently performing around North America - can have an extended venue in which to truly shine. (On that note, remember when there was much concern that the supply of new Billys would dry up when the tour - and Billy School - ended? Not a bit of it!)

I suspect that tomorrow's Boston papers will review this show, and once that happens the remaining seats will be quickly snapped up. This is one production that should not be missed, for those on the East Coast.

Billy Elliot the Musical
January 27 – February 26, 2017
Friday nights at 7:30; Saturday & Sunday matinees at 3:00
Tickets: $20-$38
Box Office: 617-879-2300; tickets@wheelock.edu
Location: 180 The Riverway on the campus of Wheelock College in Boston’s Fenway district
Parking: Discounted parking at MASCO garage at 375 Longwood Avenue
MBTA: Fenway or Longwood on Green Riverside Line (D train); CT busses to Beth Israel
Access: The Theatre is wheelchair accessible. All performances are Open Captioned. Scheduled performances are interpreted in American Sign Language and Audio-described.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

A second review, with photos by Glenn Cook:

http://bridgewatereast.wickedlocal.com/ ... lly-elliot
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

And a fourth review:

http://bostonartsreview.blogspot.com/ (scroll to Wednesday, February 1, 2017)
Chromolume
Audience Member

Post by Chromolume »

Kport - thank you for the wonderful review. I'm the musical director for the production and am so thrilled and proud to be involved with it. (This is my first time doing Billy Elliot, and it's a joy to play and conduct that score each performance.)

One correction I feel I need to make - though I'm quite flattered that you felt the orchestra sounded so full, we are using the 9-piece version, not the 17-piece. (I wish we had the space/budget for 17!!) Since I have the subs listed in the program as well, you might have been misled as to the actual number. That said, I feel so fortunate to have such great musicians with me down in the pit, and I'm thrilled that you feel we sound like more. ;-)

Thanks again!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

From The Boston Globe:
A production of “Billy Elliot the Musical” naturally relies on the strength of the young performer in the title role, so Wheelock Family Theatre producing artistic director Linda Chin and director Sue Kosoff didn’t take any chances. Thirteen-year-old Texas native Seth Judice is taking on the role for the third time, after playing the young boy from an English mining town who trades in his boxing gloves for ballet slippers at the Beck Center for the Arts in Lakewood, Ohio, and the Phoenix Theatre in Phoenix.

Although he may be a “ringer,” Judice’s jaw-dropping spins and leaps are worth the price of admission alone. Locals shouldn’t feel slighted, since New London, N.H., resident Shane Boucher plays Billy’s pal Michael, and the duo deliver a tap number that brings down the house. Boucher will take on the title role in several performances in February. The show runs through Feb. 26.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/theate ... story.html
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Chromolume wrote:Kport - thank you for the wonderful review. I'm the musical director for the production and am so thrilled and proud to be involved with it. (This is my first time doing Billy Elliot, and it's a joy to play and conduct that score each performance.)

One correction I feel I need to make - though I'm quite flattered that you felt the orchestra sounded so full, we are using the 9-piece version, not the 17-piece. (I wish we had the space/budget for 17!!) Since I have the subs listed in the program as well, you might have been misled as to the actual number. That said, I feel so fortunate to have such great musicians with me down in the pit, and I'm thrilled that you feel we sound like more. ;-)

Thanks again!
Thanks for the correction - I did indeed make that assumption, based on the names in the program. I would like to credit the fantastic job the sound engineer does at WFT - the orchestra's sound is lush and powerful, but never overwhelms the voices! It sounds like 17 instruments!
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

That review was posted earlier, in this thread, under bridgewatereast.wickedlocal. Wickedlocal repeats stories under different local communities' names.

Return to “Reviews - Wheelock”