Chat About BETM Japan

eltfan
Audience Member

Chat About BETM Japan

Post by eltfan »

Does anybody have an update on the progress of Billy Elliot Japan? News has been very, very thin of late, which is a bit worrying.

I thought that the show was meant to open in the summer of 2011, which means that it was scheduled to open quite soon.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Billy Elliot Japan -- Any News?

Post by ERinVA »

I have not seen a thing recently about Billy opening in Japan. And to be honest, with everything the Japanese have going on at the moment with recovery from the tsunami and nuclear disaster, perhaps it has just been put on the back burner.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Post by ActingDude17 »

I know that producing a musical, especially one as brilliant as Billy Elliot, is costly, but another way of looking at things is that Japan really needs something that can take it up and hold it gently. The show is partly about a community struggling through a hard time. That is exactly what Japan is doing right now as a nation.
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford
eltfan
Audience Member

Post by eltfan »

ActingDude17 wrote:I know that producing a musical, especially one as brilliant as Billy Elliot, is costly, but another way of looking at things is that Japan really needs something that can take it up and hold it gently. The show is partly about a community struggling through a hard time. That is exactly what Japan is doing right now as a nation.
Too right ActingDude17. Let's hope that the production does go ahead sometime soon. A lot of work would already have gone into producing the musical prior to the awful events of March this year; hopefully this work does not turn out to be for nothing. If anything, let's hope for a minor postponement rather than a cancellation, as I would love to see the musical go ahead in Tokyo.

If (rather, I hope, when) the show does go ahead, it will give me a great reason to visit Tokyo for the first time (much like the US tour's commencement in Durham gave me a reason to visit North Carolina, ActingDude17!).
eltfan
Audience Member

Post by eltfan »

I think that I'm going to make it my monthly mission to keep asking this question until we get some news.

I'm hoping that one day the answer will not be either "Still waiting" or "No, not yet!".
eltfan
Audience Member

Post by eltfan »

eltfan wrote:I think that I'm going to make it my monthly mission to keep asking this question until we get some news.

I'm hoping that one day the answer will not be either "Still waiting" or "No, not yet!".
New month.

Same question.

New answer (hopefully).
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Sorry, but obviously no one has reported anything. Most of us get our news from google, etc. You might try checking some search engines and letting us know if you come up with anything, as nobody else seems to have come up with anything on the subject. I am sure that if anyone does get any information, it will be posted on here.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
AliceLondon
Audience Member

Post by AliceLondon »

I can imagine it going there and doing well. Would be cool if it does - Japan is such an amazing country!
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

AliceLondon wrote:I can imagine it going there and doing well. Would be cool if it does - Japan is such an amazing country!
Agreed!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Well, if they ever do get a production of BETM off the ground in Japan -- perhaps here's a potential Billy for it :lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/1 ... lp00000009

Definitely a street Billy though, eh? :)

Return to “Chat About Billy Elliot the Musical - Japan (2017 Production)”