dutchboy
Audience Member

Re: November 2009 - Reviews

Post by dutchboy »

Monday 2nd November

Billy : Ollie Gardner
Michael : Jake Pratt
Dad : David Bardsley

Sadly this was my last day in London and my bus to the airport would be leaving late in the evening after the show. Thankfully and luckily i was treated to my second show starring the amazingly talented and charismatic young mr Ollie Gardner as Billy :D :D I had hoped to catch him performing during this trip as i kept missing him on my recent previous trips. So i'm very happy to have seen him twice this trip :D :D

After seeing Ollie for the first time last thursday evening it was a great pleasure of seeing him again on this last day of my trip. Last thursday he gave a very good performance that could use a little finetuning ;) in certain places, but tonight he went all out and the audience was very responsive to that. It surely looked liked he continues to work hard on improving his performance as his timing and interaction with the other actors was very good during the show. Ollie is so confident and charismatic on the stage that he really shines. His singing and dancing were very strong during Shine and Born to Boogie, and he makes you enjoy the show so much more... :D
Expressing Yourself showed great chemistry between Ollie and Jake, and Jake's little touches in the part are a joy to watch. Swanlake's chairscene has been difficult for all the Billy's and is difficult to master perfectly. Ollie moves very gracefully as he dances with the Older Billy. Now to the angry dance, and boy does Ollie get angry... it is almost scary... ;) He totally gives himself over to the dance and his scream in the end is the loudest and most terrifying i heard in a long time... it gave me goosebumps... :D After the break it was smooth sailing all the way with Ollie doing a very impressing Electricity and the audience appreciated it with loud applause. I'm always so impressed with the rampjump and i was treated to an excellent jump by Ollie.

I couldn't have hoped for a better show to close my Billy trip :D :D

Thanks very much Cast & Crew for a great couple of shows and see you next time ;) ;)

Dutchboy
All Property Is Theft Comrade
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

Great show last night, Wednesday, with Tom, George and Annabelle. Full principal cast apart from Older Billy being played by Shaun Walters although Barnaby was in the RBS audition scene.

I went with two Billy first timers and they loved the show and thought Tom and George were amazing. I'm sure they'll be back! It looked to me that Tom has changed his Electricity dance. It seems almost totally street now with all the tumbles and acrobatics that Fox and Olly do. He still does that wonderful flip off the board at the end!

Tom's mum and dad were in the audience and it was good to have a few words with them after the show.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Well, it's Satdee maunin' and I should be gannin' to bucksin' but, instead, I'll just mention a few things from this week's shows.

As Dancer has said, Tom's Electricity on Wed. did look a bit different but, then, I don't think he ever does the same one twice anyway. It did get the same usual high and long applause, that's for sure.
What was definitely different was that the audience gave him an amazing round of applause after his first spin across the stage to Mrs. W standing at the pillar when she recognises for the first time that she might have something special on her hands. I don't think I have ever seen this happen before.

George Maycock seems to have added a little "embellishment" to his exit from the Winter scene - a couple of little "wiggles" just before he goes out through the doors. The current trend has been that you get the same Michael/Debbie on Thursday Mat as wot performed on Wed. evening and he did repeat this at the matinee.

The footlights are back working again in Expressing. Likewise, with the Polaroid which missed a few beats in previous shows.

The music score sheets in the MD's box have looked very ragball for a long time. Just before the commencement of Part 2 on Thursday matinee the MD arrived down with a large clear plastic holdall in his arms which must have been a new set of sheets because the old raggedy ones were gone on Thursday evening.

The matinee audience was not as big as usual (it was 5th Nov so, presumably, people had other events on their minds). As it happens the audience was very, very quiet in Part 1 (which is very, very unusual) but it didn't deter the mercurial Fox from putting on his usual amazing, breathtaking show. Well, perhaps he was feeling a bit angry with them because in Angry Dance he shook the very foundations of the theatre with a pulsating, bone-shaker that ended with a scream that sent shivers through me from head to toe.
David Nellist got 'em going at the start of Part 2 and by the time Fox had his arms raised at the end of Electricity the crowd were going ballistic and were (eventually :D ) rewarded with a mind-blowing version of the smile.

There was another first (for me, at least) on Thursday evening when the "Esquire" joke which is one thing that always provokes extended laughter was greeted almost in silence!!
Ollie's Electricity was the best I have seen from him.

With Connor due to depart soon it was a bonus to see his name on the board for the evening show and he was just as brilliant as he had been on Brad's last night.

Kate was Mrs W in the matinee and Phil Snowden played George in the evening.

I'm not sure if there will be a change of Ballet girls on the upcoming changeover night but I hope not. Leaving aside their wonderful dancing, singing and acting skills I have got so used to those endearing and individually tailored smiles beaming down that I'd really miss them.

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Wednesday, November 4th.

Tom, George and Annabelle.

Sorry for the lateness of this but I've been travelling and just found time to sit down and write a few words.

Dancer and Patc have covered most things about the show but I just want to add a couple of points.

Tom just keeps getting better and better. I was seated in B16 stalls for the performance so got Tom's letter scene right in front of me. It is gut wrenching. How he can turn on the waterworks like that is beyond me. I also noticed that even when he stops singing The Letter he still mouths some of the words through the tears - do other Billys do that? After all the shows I have seen you would think I would know the answer to that :oops:

George is hilarious and I think Patc is right when he thinks George has added a few wiggles. I also like the way George goes up to Tom and gently touches him on the cheek when he says "Give us a bit of ballet then, just a little bit". Great stuff George - well done.

I love Annabelle's portrayal of Debbie. She has real attitude. I think she is the only one using a different script during the toilet scene with Billy. The others say "He used to be a deputy manager, now he's an alcoholic". Annabelle says "He, used to be a deputy manager, now he just gets pis**d". Keep up the good work Annabelle. I look forward to many more superb performances.

David Nellist has really settled into his role of George and he has added a few touches of his own to the role. When he asks Billy and Michael to start boxing I like the way he goes off and starts hitting the punchbag. Trevor Fox was always going to be a hard act to follow but I think David has done an admirable job and should be applauded for it.

Joanna Riding has grown on me. I must be honest and say that I was not 100% convinced the first time I saw her. To be fair it was December 1st last year and the first night after the major cast change. Since then she has softened the character a little and I love her portrayal now. I must say that the final scene between her and Billy is as good as I have ever seen and is very moving.

I must mention Shaun Henson who has made the "Cassette Man" in the audition scene his own. He is hilarious and the audience were in stitches.

After the finale David Nellist made a short speech as the theatre were collecting for an Actors' Charity. Halfway through his speech Tom let out this enormous sneeze. Everybody started laughing, including Tom of course. As the final curtain came down it was nice to see Tom give a thumbs up to his parents who were in the theatre that night.

Thanks to all the cast, musicians and crew for another fantastic night at the Victoria Palace.

Finally my "unsung heroes" the ballet girls. Fantastic as ever. I make a point of watching the girls when Billy's dad enters the room to find Billy dancing. They never break out of character and the expressions they pull are priceless. Well done to all the ballet girls of all three teams.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
sleepylins
Ballet Girl

Post by sleepylins »

I personally have only noticed Tom do the mouthing of the letter, while mrs W is singing i think its a lovely touch and its like he wants to continue doing it but cant because he is too overcome.
Billy:-
Coreyx5, Samx1, Josh.Fx8, Trentx5, Laytonx7, Hoganx2, Fox x10, Tomx10, Tannerx6, Bradx5,Olliex6,Deanx5,Rhysx4,Aaronx2,Scottx2,Josh.Bx0,Ryanx1, Adamx0
Michael:-
Laytonx1, Shaunx14 1/5, Jontyx10 4/5, Danielx4, Lewisx9, Deanx4, Georgex5 , Jakex10, Connor.Dx3,Connor.Kx12, Joex3,Reecex2,Connor.Lx1
Debbie:-
Leighx1, Leycix6, Amyx7, Scarlettx15, Meganx6, Aliciax6, Annabellex6, Fleurx11,Francescax12,Emily.Sx8, Emily.Wx1
79 WONDERFUL SHOWS
pexcornel
Miner

Post by pexcornel »

Billy Whiz wrote:The Letter he still mouths some of the words through the tears - do other Billys do that?
I haven't seen nearly as many shows as you but I did notice THAT with Tom and haven't with any other Billys that I've seen, for sure it's another Tom thing and he is brilliant at it, he is putting on this HUUUUUGE act, well done!
Tanner x3; Fox x4; Ollie x3; Brad x2; Tom x4.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

patc wrote: There was another first (for me, at least) on Thursday evening when the "Esquire" joke which is one thing that always provokes extended laughter was greeted almost in silence!!
Pat
Wow, that would be a first for me, too. It's always provided probably the longest laugh of any joke in the show in about every performance I've been to.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 12th Nov

Tom, Connor, Francesca
Kate as Mrs. W
Phil as George

Lots of different thoughts crossed my mind on the flight home this evening. It is approaching 12 months now since Joe took on the role of Dad, dismantled it and put it together in his own unique and brilliant way. It is a mindblowing emotional experience to watch him evolve from his first outraged discovery of Billy's secret dancing to the final mouthed "I'll miss you" to Billy as he prepares to go back down the mine. The pit confrontation scene with the equally impressive Craig leaves me in bits every time. Deep into the Ground is kind of like the halfway point in this transformation with observing the Dream Ballet as the killer punch and Joe carries this off superbly every time, the pain of it all etched into his face and voice.

Today was a sad day as it was my last time to see Kate perform and I was delighted to see her just one more time as the magnificent Mrs. W we will always remember her for.

A touch of sadness also with the imminent departure of Connor. It's hard to believe time has flown by so fast for him but he showed us in no uncertain fashion why he is going to be greatly missed. Those wonderful facial expressions for all occasions are to die for and his dash and screech to a full stop on the bike at the end is a great precursor to a heartbreaking shoulders-dropping ending as Billy departs down the aisle. You can see Connor's lips quivering with emotion and, just as the curtain drops in front of him, he appears to be about to burst into tears. Thank goodness for the Finale!!

It is not Francesca's job to make us cry but she does a fantastic job of making us laugh. She also uses her impressive facial expressions to great advantage and one of the highlights of a Francesca show is waiting to see what she'll do this week when she gets told to "pi... off" during the snow scene between her Mum and Jackie Elliot. Another one to watch out for is during the pause just after Billy has done his "little fairy on top of the cake" routine. Priceless!

Leading the whole show today was the irrepressible and amazing, all-action Tom who can one minute have us rocking with laughter and the next minute tears streaming down our faces. He does things at breakneck speed. Like the tornado-like spin across in Solidarity or at the end of Boogie when he was standing on top of the piano almost with his arms folded waiting patiently on Mrs. W and Mr. B to finish their bit before launching himself. Or the way he runs up and down those stairs like a bat out of hell. In the old days of coal fires (they may yet come back) Tom would have been a godsend in the house. If the coal scuttle was empty he'd be out to the coalshed and back with the coal so fast you wouldn't have noticed he had gone. After an extremely Angry Dance in Part 1 he followed up with that magnitudinal, hybrid Electricity that took our breath (and his) away but he still had enough power left, took a quick look at the wall and went for another spectacular lift-off, flight, landing and a final swoop to finish off. There was a standing ovation for this one.

A few small techie probs with the notable absence of flame, flash and fire.
The frying pan didn't burst into flames.
The Polaroid which has been acting up in recent times didn't flash during Expressing not that it bothered Connor. He just got on with it.
In the front of curtain RBS scene Joe's cigarette lighter refused point blank to burst forth into flame despite loads of attempts. At the very last millisecond before the Receptionist came out to catch him smoking he reached into his pocket and, I think but I'm not sure he took a second one out and after it, too, failed at first it finally lit the ciggie but not with any great enthusiasm it must be said.
Is it possible that the Greens have infiltrated the VPT?

A most enthusiastic audience enhanced by the presence of some extremely well behaved school groups at the back cheering on their peers in magnificent style had a most wonderful afternoon enjoying the most wonderful show in town performed by the most wonderful cast and crew in town at the most wonderful theatre in town run by the most wonderful staff in town. The pouring rain as we came out did nothing to dampen the enthusiasm.

Pat
NoDayButToday
Tall Boy

Post by NoDayButToday »

Wednesday 11th

Fox/ Connor/ Francesca

I am in london at the moment, and I had a spare evening, so off to the VPT I went! I haven't seen Fox before so it was great to see him, and also great to see Connor again before he leaves! I was sat in B8.

Fox is such a brilliant Billy, and I hope he sticks around for a long time to come, I loved that people around me were saying wow and cheering way before Fox had finished his electricity, it was superb.

I'm really going to miss Connor, he is a perfect michael and the audience loved him, he was really going for it in express, i wish i could be at his last show to see what he'll do!

Angry dance was superb, as was solidarity, this team of ballet girls are so good!

Of course a well- deserved standing ovation at the end. all in all another good show! It's nearly a year since I first saw Billy (with Layton in the role) and I can't wait to see the show again and again!
Layton x1 Brad x1 Ollie x2 Fox x1 Tom x1(5th bday show) Dean CC x1

:)

Return to “Reviews Archive”