December 2009 Reviews - London

iht
Small Boy

Re: December 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by iht »

Den wrote:Wednesday 30 December Matinee

In B15 I was a sitting duck for the Sunderland supporter jibe from George.Sunderland! :shock: Come on you Spurs. :)

So another afternoon well spent.Back next Thursday.

Den
Lucky man! :D ;)
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

One of these days, George may get a taste of his own medicine through a bit of heckling.
I was at a performance a couple of weeks ago where there was a winner to raffle ticket 84 in the audience. Good recation from George who invited the man to come on stage to claim his bit of 'meat'! - thankfully it was declined.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Fab review, Den, and sums up yesterday's wonderful matinee performance.

My third time seeing Dean as Billy...The only time he shows real anger is in his scream and parting gesture to us at the end of Angry Dance.
For this you need to avoid being on the right hand side of Rows A-G as otherwise you will end up splattered all over the Grand Circle!!!

Dean was magnificent and his graceful ballet Electricity with the newly enhanced and thrilling musical accompaniment was so emotional and a sheer delight to see. He thoroughly deserved the thundering applause from a virtual full house and even gave a brief smile as he held the final pose.
I can hardly believe Jake has been with us for seven months.Great fun with facial expressions and the use of his extra prop,his glasses.Confident,assured,funny and tender at the appropriate times.Long may he continue.
Amen to that. You can't take your eyes off him in case you miss those expressions. Yet, the sudden change in the Winter Scene as he walks towards the door wearing the tutu and then turns around to look at Billy, pausing before he speaks is so sad as his final curtain scene.
Emily is a splendid Debbie who is going to give poor Mrs W a lot of problems when she reaches her teens
Emily's Debbie might be described as "aggravation personified". There wouldn't be much a Mum could do faced with that attitude!!!
In B15 I was a sitting duck for the Sunderland supporter jibe from George
Immensely enjoyable to watch from the comfort zone of D16 :lol:

David Nellist is fantastic at getting a crowd going starting with the Boxing Scene and the opening of Part 2 is hilarious no matter how many times you see it and hear the jokes.

I have to mention the Tall Boy (new to me and sorry I don't know his name) but he did a terrific job and assuredly left his mark on the curtain in expert fashion when the time came. Well done.

I wonder if the company are still experimenting with the lights in the shadow dance. It seemed to be slightly different with both strong shadows and lighter shadows on the back and kitchen walls at different times. No matter how they do it the scene is magical.

Thanks to all for the great enjoyment and entertainment yesterday and, indeed, throughout 2009 and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to EVERYONE at the Victoria Palace Theatre.

Pat
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Post by Born to Boogie »

It was the decade which brought us Billy Elliot, first on screen in 2000 and later on stage in 2005 - and it ended this evening with the final show of the decade being placed in the capable hands of Tom Holland. Cheered on by a band of family and friends, together with a very full House, Tom and the cast brought us to the final curtain fall of 2009 with an outstanding performance which proves 'the spirit lives on' into 2010 - when I for one look forward to watching the show in three cities and to being inspired time and again by its enduring message.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Den wrote:Although he has only been performing for a month,he has great confidence and stage presence and I am looking forward to seeing him develop over the coming months.If he becomes what I think he will become people will be flocking to see him.I think they should flock now!
Absolutely, don't leave it, you're in for a treat with Dean C.C! :)
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Having seen DCC on his Debut night, (what a flawless and brilliant performance!) I can imagine that he is destined to be one of the all time great Ballet Billy's.
I am certainly looking forward to seeing him again in the next week or so - rota's permitting!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

December 31st (5.30 Show)

Tom
Jake
Emily
Joe
Joanna
Tim
Ann Emery

Such a different Show to Boxing Day :D A pretty well full house, a lively audience and the cast enjoying themselves. Apparently this week with its extra matinees has been a great success. Lots of families in the audience and a lovely atmosphere all week.

As has already been said, Tom had family in the audience and quite a few loyal forum members as well. We were all vocal at key points in the Show especially in the 'flying' Swan Lake scene to show appreciation of Barnaby and Tom's excellent synchronicity. Gasps during Electricity and several standing ovations at the end. Tom exudes stage presence now. I had not seen him perform for several months and it was fascinating to notice subtle changes in his hand and arm movements. He is able to hold the ballet positions without wobbling and makes full use of the whole stage in his dance routines. He provides an inspiration to the cast and to aspiring young dancers in the audience.
Did I imagine it or was there a line change in the scene where the 'scabs' burst throught the barrier gate to go to work? I thought I heard 'all aboard the Shylock' :?: As far as I could tell nothing went wrong apart from one thing :shock: At the very end when Billy says goodbye to Michael and walks away up the centre aisle to the back of the Stalls, he is then called back on to the stage by the cast. Last night Tom began his run back down the aisle only to be have his path blocked by a group of people leaving their seats in order to make an early exit. He was literally stopped in his tracks and had to push his way through. I hope that does not happen again. :shock:
Many people associated with the production were most friendly to me last night. Thank you.

Nine Shows this week is a lot for the young cast members. I hope you have enoyed yourselves as much as I have.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

burtond wrote:Having seen DCC on his Debut night, (what a flawless and brilliant performance!) I can imagine that he is destined to be one of the all time great Ballet Billy's.
Yep! 8-)
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

jacob wrote:Last night Tom began his run back down the aisle only to be have his path blocked by a group of people leaving their seats in order to make an early exit. He was literally stopped in his tracks and had to push his way through. I hope that does not happen again. :shock:
That happened last summer when I was there and Oliver Gardner was Billy. It was the first time I'd ever seen that, so sorry to see it happened again. A few days later, the people next to me started to get up to leave after Billy's walk down the aisle to the back of the theatre, but that time I stood my ground and said, "There's still one more number left." The guy said, "Well, we need to leave. We've got a train to catch." His wife scolded him and said, "Oh, we'll be fine. Sit down !"
SatinandLace
Tall Boy

Post by SatinandLace »

jacob wrote:December 31st (5.30 Show)

Did I imagine it or was there a line change in the scene where the 'scabs' burst throught the barrier gate to go to work? I thought I heard 'all aboard the Shylock' :?:
This is definitely a change from Broadway and I think it's 'All aboard the Skylark', although I'm not quite sure what it means.
~Lauren~
8xTrent 3xSam 3xLayton 2xJosh F. 4xCorey
1xFox 1xHogan 2xScott 1xRhys
4xDavid 4xKiril 1xTanner
2xCesar 1xTommy 1xJ.P.
2xDaniel 2xLex 2xGuiseppe
1xKylend 1xKaine 1xJosh B.

Return to “Reviews Archive”