December 2009 Reviews - NYC

phoebe
Debbie

Re: DECEMBER REVIEWS - US

Post by phoebe »

Geridith wrote:It was very easy in the cancellation line, and there were a fair amount of open seats randomly scattered throughout the orchestra. The weather was AWFUL last night, I can see why a lot of people didn't make it. Good for me though, I ended up third row center :)
Yes, I thought so. As the snow fell all night and all day, I was sitting in my home 150 miles from Manhattan aware of all the seats that would be available in the Imperial Theater. :evil:
Geridith
Tall Boy

Post by Geridith »

I didn't notice anything funny with the orchestra. I very much doubt that they weren't playing. I was very close.
LONDON: Liam M (1), Tom (3), Rhys Y (2), Dean Charles (1); NEW YORK: Trent (11), Tommy (10), Kiril (9), David (8), Tanner (3), Liam R (3), Dayton (3), Michael D (3), Alex (2), Jacob (1); CHICAGO: Tommy (1), Giuseppe (1), Cesar (1) = 63 shows total :)
BETMNY Billy Schedule on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/BETMNY
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

"orchestra not playing"

I have for some time been under the impression that Billy sets the tempo at the start of Electricity, and the orchestra follows. Several videos show large gaps between lines.

I took notice in London and for the first time became aware the conductors box is actually a keyboard. When the Electricity started the conductor played the chord after Billy had commenced the line and conducted the orchestra with a downward move of his head. I am not sure how many play in the first section.

This occurs at least for this opening section

I can't really explain it,
I haven't got the words
It's a feeling that you can't control
I suppose it's like forgetting, losing who you are
And at the same time something makes you whole
It's like that there's a music playing in your ear
And I'm listening, and I'm listening and then I disappear

It might be the same for the next 7 lines, the change seems to come as he goes to walk off and returns
with
Its a bit like being angry

I have always assumed that the Swan Lake music is precorded.

Maybe not the answers to the orchestra not playing, but I might be able to get some expert opinion for something my non musical background was confused about.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Yes, andrewcraig, you are right that Billy initiates Electricity and the orchestra (conductor) follows his lead for the opening lines, until there is full orchestration. Sometimes the lines are sung in a slow tempo, but more often I've seen the Billy take long, confused pauses between lines, as he is trying to work into words how he feels when he's dancing. Really adds to the effect of the song this way.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

"orchestra not playing"

I have for some time been under the impression that Billy sets the tempo at the start of Electricity, and the orchestra follows. Several videos show large gaps between lines.

I took notice in London and for the first time became aware the conductors box is actually a keyboard. When the Electricity started the conductor played the chord after Billy had commenced the line and conducted the orchestra with a downward move of his head. I am not sure how many play in the first section.
The keyboard plays one note to give Billy his pitch, and then Billy sings the first part alone before the music comes in.

In NY, there is a keyboardist in the orchestra. The conductor does not play the keyboard, as I recall. That is probably because in NY the orchestra is required to be twice the size of the one in London because of the musicians' union rules.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Perhaps the conductor was playing the keyboard on the night in question, last Saturday during the snow storm, because the keyboardist had not been able to make it to the theater?
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I don't know the answer to that. In London, the conductor always plays the keyboard. But in NY, having sat on the very front row and looked down into the orchestra pit, I saw a woman down there playing keyboard, and I don't think I saw a keyboard in the conductor's box. Maybe someone else knows whether he also plays the keyboard at some point, but I don't recall it.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

ERinVA wrote:I don't know the answer to that. In London, the conductor always plays the keyboard. But in NY, having sat on the very front row and looked down into the orchestra pit, I saw a woman down there playing keyboard, and I don't think I saw a keyboard in the conductor's box. Maybe someone else knows whether he also plays the keyboard at some point, but I don't recall it.

Sorry, I must not have been clear. I thought the person who reported seeing the conductor playing keyboard was there on the snow day last Saturday. I thought that maybe the keyboardist had not been able to get to the theater that night, so the conductor served double duty.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I don't think andrewcraig was there Saturday evening. He was posting in general about how the song is done.
Ellen

andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

phoebe wrote:
ERinVA wrote:I don't know the answer to that. In London, the conductor always plays the keyboard. But in NY, having sat on the very front row and looked down into the orchestra pit, I saw a woman down there playing keyboard, and I don't think I saw a keyboard in the conductor's box. Maybe someone else knows whether he also plays the keyboard at some point, but I don't recall it.

Sorry, I must not have been clear. I thought the person who reported seeing the conductor playing keyboard was there on the snow day last Saturday. I thought that maybe the keyboardist had not been able to get to the theater that night, so the conductor served double duty.
Hi from Melbourne Australia where today and tomorow it will be in the 30's celcius. I responded to the article that said that the orchestra did not play in two numbers early same thread, with my observations about the Billy leading . Although the article quoted mentioned Solidarity as one number, I found that impossible to accept. My post was to suggest they might have been confused with the Swan Lake music and the intro to Electricity. I really appreciate the comments.

ATM am trying to put together a NY and UK trip late march to catch up with the 2 Australian Billys, hopefully all 4, then off to the 5 th anniversary show in London. Chicago will have to wait for another time.

Return to “Reviews Archive”