December 2009 Reviews - NYC

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DECEMBER REVIEWS - US

Post by ERinVA »

I am wondering if they were instead referring to the unaccompanied opening of The Stars Look Down. 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Any reviews of Liam's debut?
Safuza
Ballet Girl

Post by Safuza »

phoebe wrote:Any reviews of Liam's debut?
There are a couple on the other forum.
My VERY impressive Billy Track record:
....Kiril.....X1
Oh yeah! It's a record breaker and you know it!
...*sigh*...Why, oh why must Broadway be so far away! =(
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

phoebe wrote:Any reviews of Liam's debut?
Geridith twittered some reviews, and used the term 'ballet-tastic'. :) Sounds like Liam had a great debut. http://twitter.com/FriendsofBETM
:/
Cindy
Small Boy

Post by Cindy »

Sorry I tend to post more on the other forum and forget to copy-and-paste to this one.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Billy: Liam Redhead (debut!)
Michael: Keean Johnson

Pre-Show:
Announcement from resident choreographer: "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Tom Hodgson-- I'm the resident choreographer on the show. Tonight's a very special night on Billy Elliot as we have our very newest Billy, Liam Redhead. This is his debut performance here. He's all the way from Canada and his family are here to support him tonight and we hope you enjoy the show as much as I'm sure he will. Thank you."

Stars Look Down (Take Me Up):
Liam has the most crystal clear voice. Visibly and audibly nervous, but so sweet looking. His smile can light up an entire room.

First Scene with Grandma/Dead Mum:
I think I'm in love with Liam's speaking voice. He had a great reacation to all lines and spoke very well. Accent sometimes wavered, but that will get better with time. He looked really hurt when dead mum disappeared.

Boxing:
Liam was good, but Keean was spot-on! I haven't seen his Michael in a long time so I had forgotten his typical take, but he was just fantasic. For the first time I got the sense, in the boxing scene, that Michael adored Billy. I normally don't get that sense until the Christmas scene. Liam's boxing dance was very cute. Oh and he wears slightly different shoes than the other Billys; they're a darker blue.

Shine:
Great as always. New ballet girl Georgi is the new Alison Summers and she's adorable.

Solidarity:
Fantastic! His attitude promenade is soooo graceful.

Confrontation with Dad:
Great delivery and build up. Fabulous "oh shit." He does shout a bit which seems awkward coming from his sweet voice and small stature, but in time it will work itself out.

Express
Great chemistry between Keean and Liam!! Liam had a visible smile going on. Keean nailed the delivery (except for whiserping "me dad does it all the time." I didn't care for that take). But otherwise fantastic. Liam is a great tapper.

Letter
So sweet sounding but I was sitting all the way on the left so I couldn't see his face.

Boogie
Liam is so graceful!! When he jumps over the chair...wow. Fluid movement. Dual Mrs. W/Billy jump rope perfect (he held onto her waist...cute!). Mr. B botched the jumping a bit at the beginning, but after that the jumping was perfect. Liam is super fast. No piano flip (Billy jump instead).

Bathroom
After Boogie you could hear Liam breathing sooooo heavily while talking to Debbie. Poor thing. He'll build his stamina. I liked that Debbie and Billy were about the same height.

Angry
Great tapping!! Swearing sounds strange coming from him. But I always get chills during this number.

Beginning Act II
I was sitting next to the curtain they come out of and I dropped money into Liam's bucket. :) He actually turned toward me with his huge smile and said "whoa..." and then as they went on stage Keean looked into the bucket and they smiled. Whoohoo! From now on when I sit there I'm dropping something in.

Christmas
Very sweet. I love when Billy and Michael look the same age. Keean's mic blew out for one line but otherwise it was great. Liam's delivery was a tad slow but Keean was just so sweet.

Dream Ballet
Liam shines at this, though the hair contrasts with Easton is a bit odd!! Liam is just so graceful...I can't say that enough. Flying was great.

Electricity
First time I've seen Electricity with no back handsprings; he does cartwheels instead. His choregraphy is the same as David's otherwise. His voice comes out so sweet and pure. Major smile when he got applause before singing again.

Once we were Kings
Okay this had to be one of my favorite parts. The chemistry between him and dad was awesome while folding clothes. He just had this look on his face that was so precious.

Finale
Superb. After the curtain fell you could hear the cast cheering.

Stage Door
Freezing outside!!!! But he was so sweet and signed Playbills and took photos (will post later). He said to me "I can't believe I actually got something!" in regards to me putting money in his bucket, hahaha.

Just a great kid. Can't wait to see him again in a couple of months to see the difference.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Cindy. Great stuff - even though you said my photo was photoshopped ;)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for posting your review, Cindy. Great!! :D
Beginning Act II
I was sitting next to the curtain they come out of and I dropped money into Liam's bucket. He actually turned toward me with his huge smile and said "whoa..." and then as they went on stage Keean looked into the bucket and they smiled. Whoohoo! From now on when I sit there I'm dropping something in.
I LOVE IT!!! :lol: :lol:
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Thanks so much, Cindy. Really thorough, detailed and heartfelt!
Really makes you want to see Liam perform!
Cindy
Small Boy

Post by Cindy »

Haha, Sorry about that Billy Whiz!!!!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

CJ-Rochester wrote:Fri Dec. 11, 2009 8pm -

Billy - Tommy,
Michael - Trevor,
Small Boy - Luke,
+ understudy for Tony - Jeff Kready.

Jeff Kready did a great job as understudy for Tony. Jeff looks young enough to be believable as Billy's older brother. His performance was complete with the passion and intensity worthy of the role. During "He Could Shine..." his mic went out. Still his singing was strong enough that everyone could hear him clearly. Great projection!

-Chris
I just want to second Chris's ovation for Jeff Kready. I remember seeing him on as Tony once too and I also thought he was awesome. I hope his career continues to blossom more than just an understudy. He's a star! --Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee

Return to “Reviews Archive”