January 2010 Reviews - NYC

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: January 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by ERinVA »

Musical Fanatic wrote:ERinVA

Yes he does start at back of stage with flips. Dayton does this to.
Thanks. :D I would like to see them put it back for all the Billys.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Cherri
Small Boy

Post by Cherri »

Matinee, January 30th, 2010

Billy: Trent
Michael: Jake Evan Schwencke
Small Boy: Luke Trevisan
Dad: Philip Whitchurch

I took my adult daughter to her first experience of BETM and what a joy it was! Trent did a fantastic job..his best ever...and I have seen him many times prior. He has somehow developed a pure sounding falsetto and was able to clearly sing every note in every piece and I was extremely happy for him. His "Electricity" was wondrous and I was able to chat with him about it at the stage door a bit later. Fun!

Jake, as Michael, was full of life and added his own voice inflections and movements, is a terrific tap dancer, and I became totally immersed in he and Billy's "dressups and dances"!

Luke is just plain adorable...has a sweet face...and was very animated. He is a great addition to the cast.

Philip Whitchurch I had seen in London a few years ago. He...and I...are getting older but he was right "on top of it" at every moment. He was, I sensed, portraying an angrier Dad than Greg, but he was also very tearful at given moments such as when he was singing the ballad at the Christmas Party. I was entranced.

Incidentally, Donnie Kehr, who stepped in to play "Dad" during the short lapse between Greg's departure and Philip's arrival, was part of the ensemble and I noted that he played the accordion during Dad's singing of the folksong.

Kate Hennig I just love. She is very witty and when she (as Mrs. Wilkinson) foibles..and it is usually with the jump rope!..she quickly interjects "Oh well, it was just a trick, anyhow" or, "well I hardly got in one jump". She makes me laugh.

I was aware of my daughter's laughter and tears throughout the performance and it was heart rendering to note....and as we were heading out to the stage door, she announced that it was truly the best show she HAD EVER SEEN! and I replied, "Oh, you know it, girl!"

GO Billy!!
<--- 2 grandmas
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Moby-Dick wrote: You just can't help but walk away from the theatre clutching your heart and grinning stupidly.
Well said and thank you for another fun review! I think sitting where you did and looking at the audience's reactions is why Lee Hall and Peter Darling (if memory serves/I may only be half right) sat in the right box seats at First Preview. =)

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I certainly remember seeing Lee Hall there Sean and he was watching the audience half of the time.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

Sounds like Michael made an amazing debut and thank you all for his first reviews :D .

And thank you, Cherri, for your review, it was great! Glad your daughter enjoyed her first Billy show :) . Donnie Kehr playing the accordion would explain why the accordion wasn't played earlier in the week!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Cherri wrote:Matinee, January 30th, 2010...

and as we were heading out to the stage door, she announced that it was truly the best show she HAD EVER SEEN! and I replied, "Oh, you know it, girl!"

GO Billy!!
And GO CHERRI! Thanks for a fun review! I didn't realize you were in town the whole week, you'll have to catch me up in PM when you get a chance! =) So happy to hear you and your daughter had a great show! Now we just gotta get your "guys" to see it too! =)

Love,
Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee

Return to “Reviews Archive”