January 2010 Reviews - London

alexandre
Small Boy

Re: January 2010 Reviews - London

Post by alexandre »

This week: Some more Ollie + Fox

A particularly high dose of Ollie this week, fortunately the only side effect is euphoria. He has such great spirit and an infectious sense of playfulness. I can’t get over what a tremendous actor he is, every mark nailed and then some, always giving the full 100%. Highlights were his portrayal of Billy in the scene saying goodbye to Mrs. W, so touching and the profuse expletives in Angry Dance

Managed to catch a Fox as well. A real death-defying Electricity, saw some things I’ve never seen outside of a gymnastics hall. It’s heart-in-mouth stuff and amazing to witness. I don’t know how he does it and I’ve studied Uni level physics. He’s a sweet, natural singer as well.

Connor as Michael is tremendous, never heard so many laughs for a Michael and fully deserved. Impeccable timing + hilarious movements + funny, expressive face = comic genius. Even jiving away in the wings during Finale!

The understudy Dad has been sensational this week. Particularly enjoy the little repartee with Billy in Once We Were Kings, scrunching the shirt and picking the coin from behind the ear.

Further things I quite like in the UK version:
Again, the audition sequence. Terrific stuff! Things just hang better together with it in: the ‘packaged’ dancer is seen before the tete-a-tete with Dad, we can see how badly the audition actually went and sweeping up the snow is worked into the story. And the rather fey sound technician is a nice touch.
‘That man looks like Arthur Scargill’ :lol:
The freer rein given to the Michael’s to let loose. Derived from the pantomime tradition?
Two extra lines given to Tony (who is played nicely by Craig): ‘this is his big chance’ and ‘when you’re my age everyone you know will be unemployed...’
The Finale sequence, especially the final flourish of somersaults.
Mr. Braithwaite playing the accordion.

Things liked less:
How the Debbie’s are made to all look the same
Extended Expressing Yourself – over long, the Michael’s are too out of breath to deliver the lines.
'... I'd saw his bloody legs off' - too harsh

Regards to the chaps we saw on Thursday, pity not more time for a chat.
Further thoughts may follow...
cuuush
Small Boy

Post by cuuush »

alexandre wrote:This week: Some more Ollie + Fox
Oh, how I wish that I could be there to see Ollie and Fox as well. What days did you see the show during the past week?

I couldn't imagine a shorter Expressing Yourself though. :)
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

alexandre wrote: Extended Expressing Yourself – over long, the Michael’s are too out of breath to deliver the lines.
I think that this sequence and the camp portrayal of it is one of the highlights of the show - personally, it could even be dragged out more for me. I think that the scene is necessary as it is important to establish the character of Michael and to help explain the relationship between the two guys Billy and Michael. Additionally, it is a breath of fresh air after a little bit of tension - this is what I especially love about BETM - it drags you down with emmense sadness and tension and then raises you up immediately with a smile and a laugh.

I appreciate that sometimes the Michael's struggle to get the lines out and have mentioned it before in another thread - the Joke about the piano down the pit always falls flat as it is often totally lost through a difficult delivery.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
BILLYFAN
Debbie

Post by BILLYFAN »

SATURDAY 30TH JANUARY 2.30.MAT.==THE 2000TH PERFORMANCE

BILLY=DEAN DAD=DAVID BARDSLEY
MICHAEL=JAKE GRANDAMA=ROMY BASKERVILLE
DEBBIE=EMILY GEORGE=PHIL SNOWDEN
ALT.M.D (SORRY DON'T KNOW HIS NAME)

When I left my house at 5.35am to go to Newton Abbot stn,there was a sprinkling of snow on the ground,which reminded me of the winter scene in B.E
They seemed to be all behind at V.P. as we where not allowed to our seats untill nearly 2.10pm and the show did'nt start untill 2.38 and finshed at 5.33
I was disappointed that there was no mention about the 2000th performance nor was there a slip in the programme
They were giving out cards asking us to vote for them in the Olivier awards
Although this is my 23rd show there was several !st for me--Dean,Jake and Emily,and I can't remember seeing Romy before
Although the show was "rushed" at times it was a very good show,Idon'th know the small boy's name but I like the way he stood looking at the audiance a little longer then usual in the opening scence
Kitchen Scene==seems to be more toast now, being "tossed" from placard to placard
Boxing Scene==Phil put the over in his own way which was very good
Shine==Although a bit "rushed" this was very good,Billy was certainly pushed around by the girls and when he did the music box it was nearer to the front of the stage, it usualy is 2/3rd back
Solidarity very energenic,I don't know if it was an accident, but one of the girls collided with mrs wilkinson who gave a "disaprooving" look back
Letter Scene== a lot of hankies got out!
The angy dance was very angry and I like the way Dean faced the audiance with his hands up as if saying "come on then" I always think it is sad the way dad say's to Billy "your mum is dead" especialy when he is missing his mum-anough to make any 12yr old angry
Pantomime== not much banter this afternoon no victem and did not ask if any Newcastle fans was here, but as he was saying the line about newcastle gay and lesbian....some people were shouting out that the were from Newcastle, he did annouleadge them though Sham that it's been shortened
Overall a very good show the interval was a few minutes shorter the usual which cought some out including the ice cream seller who had to hurry to put his stand away
I met some forum members at the show (sorry I forget your names) and a chap, who is not a forum member who say's he has seen the shoe 450 times!
Yes Burtond, I was very lucky in more then I way I mislayed my train ticket home, and I found it under my seat when I went back to my seat to look and I've booked 3 more shows july.sept,dec. all B15 seats
the theatre was almost full
23 wonderful shows GEORGE? OR JAMES? 1 LIAM 3 LEON 1 TRAVIS 1 LAYTON 2 OLIVER 1 JOSH 1 COREY 2 HOGAN 2 TANNER 3 BRAD 1 TOM 1 OLLIE 3 DEAN 1
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

burtond wrote: I appreciate that sometimes the Michaels struggle to get the lines out and have mentioned it before in another thread - the Joke about the piano down the pit always falls flat as it is often totally lost through a difficult delivery.
With all the changes that have been made to the show, this is one part that I'm surprised has lasted as long as it has without being changed. I've always thought it seemed a bit much to have Billy and Michael attempt to tell jokes while they're doing their tap dance. Seems like the dance itself is tough enough without making them deliver lines as well. It would almost be like telling Billy that while he was spinning and flipping and running around during his "Electricity" dance, he had to also be delivering a few lines here and there about what dancing means to him.

I personally have never heard an audience reaction to any of the jokes they tell anyway, as I don't think most people can hear them or understand what they're saying amidst all the tapping and music. I was thinking originally that they just shouted and whooped and made an occasional comment like "keep smiling !" or "it's killing us but they love it !" which is the way it's done on the original cast recording. Then soon after they started having them tell jokes. Maybe some veteran forum members can remember if that's the way it happened. Anyway, just wondered if anyone else had a similar thought on the subject . . . .

Return to “Reviews Archive”