February 2010 reviews - London

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

February 2010 reviews - London

Post by Billy Whiz »

It's February already. Here's hoping for some terrific reviews.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
burtond
Michael

Re: February 2010 reviews - London

Post by burtond »

Monday 1st February 2010 – UK London

Billy – Dean Charles Chapman
Michael – George
Debbie – Fleur

Had a really good feel about this performance even before it started. Monday evening audiences over the past few weeks have generally been very good and tonight’s audience was no exception. Although not full to the brim, I would say that a good 85% of the seats were taken. Furthermore, a good mix of people – young and not so young with a number of school parties in that always makes for a rowdy time. Great front row of the stalls with pinknik and her friends on one side of me and Alexander and friend on the other side – everything was in place from the audience point of view to give the marvellous cast the support and encouragement they need throughout the show.

Dean was performing in the role of Billy this evening. Currently, the youngest Billy and most recent to join the team, his outstanding performance throughout is breathtaking. For me, and I appreciate that others will wax lyrical about his dancing prowess, his singing ability is a real strength and he emulates the amazing Liam Mower (who I sadly never saw, but I listen to everyday on the CD recording) he sings with simple, clean, clear and crisp tones typical of a trained boy soprano.

In the early part of the show, the Kitchen scene with the miners brought an extra giggle tonight. The pan failed to light; Tony struggled for ages trying to get an already toasted piece of toast to stay down in the toaster – he gave up in the end and left if flapping over the top. Dad slipped the egg on the plate but unfortunately it slipped only half way on and later in the scene, Big Davy was seen to rearrange the egg in readiness for his can of baked beans. Finally, to crown it all, the effect where Davy bangs the table and the toast pops out of the toaster into his hands failed to materialise as the limp slice was drooped over the top of the toaster lifeless.

Saw something completely different in the ‘We’d go dancing’ scene with Grandma, Billy and the male ensemble. I don’t know why, but it got me thinking. (I really shouldn’t do this as it can be dangerous for the plot!) Taking account of the action/choreography and the interaction between Grandma and the men, I considered the possibility that poor old Grandad may not have actually been as bad as she makes out. Indeed, perhaps it was a ‘six of one and half a dozen of the other ‘ effect where Grandma, bless her, was as much to blame for the 33 years of hell as the dear departed Grandad. Next time you see the show, look at the flirty way she interacts with the many men on stage. I bet, in her earlier years, she was a bit of a ‘goer’, she could certainly drink and she definitely knew how to enjoy herself.

‘Solidarity’ has got to be the musical number of the show. This gigantic piece involving virtually all the cast over a period of 15-20 minutes is complex in content and construction. There is so much action taking place it is like watching two or three scenes running at the same time. Many a time, you are wondering where to focus your attention because no matter what you are watching, there will be something else happening (relevant to the story) at the back/side or elsewhere on the stage. Also, the action during the song moves at a considerable pace as does the outstanding choreography. For me this important number deals with a considerable part of the development of Billy as a dancer coupled with Mrs Wilkinson’s realisation over a period of weeks that she has uncovered someone totally special or as she eventually puts it f***ing special! Deans little ballet sequences throughout this number are polished, delicate and simply superb.

We had a brilliant experience throughout ‘Expressing Yourself’; moments of real ingenuity and professionalism from the two guys Dean and George. Yes the scene was masterfull, camp and funny as it usually is – a joy to watch and totally spirit raising, but tonight we caught a glimpse of real potential from Billy – the sort of thing that for me, put him into a new league in terms of his ability and potential for the future. Firstly, the forward roll into the pink house coat did not go as planned. I don’t think Dean secured any one of the two arms in the coat and struggled with it right up to the point where Michael joins Billy, puts one of his arms through and they dance together. The point I would make here is that for the un-initiated, there wouldn’t appear to be a problem. Dean dealt with it, he just got on with the scene and made the most of it. Secondly, the delightful moment when Michael places the patchwork bag on Billy’s head as together they skip to the front of the stage heads in tandem moving from side to side singing ‘what the hell’s wrong with expressing yourself’ went all to cock. The bag fell off Dean’s head and came to rest at the back of his neck. Such a shame – BUT, Dean carries on as if nothing untoward had happened. Finally, in this scene, Billy takes off the patchwork bag and it gets thrown to the back of the pull-out bedroom set (ready to be pushed back home and out of the way). Maybe as a result of the previous issue with the bag or maybe it was just an accident, but instead of the bag landing within the confines of the set (where it can be cleared up and sorted by props later), the blessed bag, lands behind the set. It is here where Dean shows his grasp of the job he is doing and his responsibility to others. The stray bag, left on the set would have been a nuisance at best, at worst, someone may have tripped over it. So a clear thinking, considerate Dean, retrieves the bag, puts it over his shoulder and down his side and continues to tap out the song with this blooming bag bouncing about his person until the song finishes. Truly inspirational Dean – great improvisation – I take my hat off to you.

Sean Kingsley’s antics in Born to Boogie are hilariously funny especially when he behaves like a dog on heat towards Mrs W on one occasion and towards the poor piano on another and his jump to splits routine brings tears to my eyes. Ow!

The more I see of the Angry Dance, the more I am convinced that with the exception of certain key moments within the dance when specific moves have been choreographed to coincide with the music, the Billy’s are given a free reign to interpret this powerful and intense sequence in their own way. I have seen the same Billy’s perform this number and each time it is different - Sometimes considerably so. If this is the case, I am all for it. It gives the guys a little bit of freedom and a chance to give us, the audience, an opportunity to appreciate something of their own

David Bardsley performed in the role of Dad this evening. The more I see David in this role the more I enjoy his interpretation. I particularly feel more comfortable with his softer approach to the character. He is much calmer than Joe with much less shouting and bawling. Furthermore, during the questioning scene (immediately following the audition) when Billy whispers to Dad when asked if there are any further questions, his response ‘no’ is much more natural than Joe’s and commands a much better response from the audience.

I have to mention the Ballet Girl who played Tracy Atkinson – couldn’t find anyone at the Theatre who knew her name but I do know that she has returned to the show and performed in the same role last year. She is brilliant. She really lets the wicked side of Tracy Atkinson manifest itself – that is when she is not tucking into cakes and biscuits every verse end. – Very, very amusing.

Mention should be made of the Wig master and Deputy. The various wigs used constantly throughout the show help mask the actual size of the cast and create a feeling that the cast is far larger than it is. I never knew that Barnaby Meredith (older Billy)took an active part throughout the show as a Minor, Policeman etc. It is the wigs that help change the shape of the face and provide a new character.

A very camp stage manger in the audition scene played by Shaun Henson – he has to be my favourite in this cameo role.

Musically, Chris Hat was at the baton tonight and led a wonderful, full and expressive performance from the band. Of particular note is Chris’s own piano skills which, now that he has his new keyboard, he gets maximum output providing a musical ‘wholeness’ that in the weeks before Christmas was lacking. Also, a very impressive acoustic guitarist delicately picking out chords and arpeggios especially in some of the more sensitive numbers.

Finally for this review, members may wish to know that the road outside the stage door is closed for deep excavations at the moment. On that basis, the Billy Bus picked up from the front of the Theatre much to the delight of the departing audience who were able to get clear views of all tonights cast and the standby girls and boys too.

Another delightful evening in the company of Billy Elliot.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Post by Moby-Dick »

Thanks v. much for the marvelous review, burtond!
burtond wrote: ...tonight we caught a glimpse of real potential from Billy – the sort of thing that for me, put him into a new league in terms of his ability and potential for the future.
Isn't it so great, that - even in the middle of a scene where things go less than perfectly - the professionalism and talent of these young actors can shine through all the more strongly?

Dean Charles was the first Billy I ever saw perform. And wowza, it sounds like he's doing an amazing job in the role. Am really grateful to be able to live vicariously by reading these lovely reviews. Thanks again! :mrgreen:

x
M-D
Marky
Small Boy

Post by Marky »

burtond wrote:Next time you see the show, look at the flirty way she interacts with the many men on stage. I bet, in her earlier years, she was a bit of a ‘goer’, she could certainly drink and she definitely knew how to enjoy herself.
Grandma?....a flusey? :o :D
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

[quote="Marky"Grandma?....a flusey? :o :D[/quote]

Sometimes my imagination gets the better of me! ;) ;)
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

What did Tracey Atkinson look like was she on for any of the special evenings last year?
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

I too was there on Monday night - my 2nd time seeing Dean. Was totally blown away. He is an amazing Billy.
Cant do a review as good as Burtond (my neighbour of the show - great to meet more forum members) but will just add a few points :

-Small boy was Logan - his delivery of the W****R line is perfect !!!!
-One of the poor ballet girls tripped up the stairs as they ran on for solidarity - created a kinda domino effect and I think 3 of them fell. No one injured though - all carried on.
-For me, the 2 ballet girls from this team which stand out are Tracy A and Keeley Gibson. Keeley (not sure her real name) has fab facial expressions and sings so loud - just looks like she is loving every minute of it. The Tracy A is so so funny. Im not sure of her name, but she has extended her 6 month contract which ended in Nov. I think she was previously in the Ashington Team. Im always pleased to see her. She is great.
- Express - few hitches as described by Burtond - handled by Dean and George with such professionalism. When George did his exit scene at the end of express, he shouted "oh come on" - got a great well deserved response

continued on next post
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

-George has added a few lovely hilarious touches - He is so funny
-Fleur - a fab Debbie - I love how she tilts her head to the side as though she is cute and innocent !!!
-Lovely to see Craig back as Tony - he is such a strong actor - also has a very nice face to look at !!! On that note, was also great to see the lovely Barnaby in action. Pure perfection as always. Dances with a grace an elegance that has to be seen to be believed
Dean - oh goodness - amazing. Everything is just spot on. Such great confidence for someone so young. I think he does the letter scene really well, considering how new he is to the role. There was a lady literally blubbering behind us. His angry dance is so powerful. Electricity - what can I say. Pure delight to watch

Overall a fab night - excellent atmosphere for a Monday
Cant wait till next time xxx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

jen wrote:What did Tracey Atkinson look like was she on for any of the special evenings last year?

Cant think of anything in particular.
Looking through my programmes, the name Eden springs to mind.
The last teams had one Tracey who was English, one who was afro carribean, and one who is Asian - but very pale complexion - it was this fab girl who was on last night. I hope this hasnt offended anyone, but cant think of any other way to describe her. She was fab last night xxx
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

pinknick103 wrote: The last teams had one Tracey who was English, one who was afro carribean, and one who is Asian - but very pale complexion - it was this fab girl who was on last night. I hope this hasnt offended anyone, but cant think of any other way to describe her.
Nothing offensive about describing what someone looks like or where they're from ! I'm only offended because there were none of my fellow Americans in the group. ;)

Return to “Reviews Archive”