April 2010 Reviews - London

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: April 2010 Reviews - London

Post by ERinVA »

Other dialect dictionaries spell it "is" or "iz." But all say it means "me." The London program's list of dialect words spells it "iz." That list also includes "yiz" for "you."

It's probably time to get back to reviews. Does anyone have one?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

Saturday 24th April 2010 – Evening :D

(Have amended this post from the shorter review posted here on Saturday night).

Before I start, just to quickly say thanks to PaulWilly, porchesrule & others for the kind comments on my reviews. I will keep them coming.

Well, what I posted during the week that I was going to miss tonight & that Wednesday would be the last time I would see Connor Doyle as Michael now turns out to be a load of rubbish as I ended up going tonight after escaping work early & deciding to go at the last minute.

Anyway, I’m very very glad I ended up going & had a great seat (Dress Circle E18 aisle seat) where you have a great view (apart from not seeing Billy leave down the Stalls aisle at the end) - if you are prepared to pay £65-£90 for these seats.
There were a few empty seats, but it was almost a full house with a coach load of Geordies sitting a couple of rows behind & cheering like mad when David Nellist asked, "Where are the Geordies ? " during his front of curtain routine.

I was glad I went for two main reasons - Connor D's last night & the return after injury/illness of Dean Charles Chapman as Billy, who just blew me away tonight - the best I have ever seen him.

It was a brilliant show tonight & even better that Dean was back (Hurrah!) & he gave an absolutely outstanding performance, definitely his best ever, you can tell he really enjoyed been back & it was just an absolute joy to watch - with every line perfect & so clear, with great emphasis & pauses exactly where they are meant to be. His shocked face & wide-eyed reaction to Debbies "if ye want, I'll show you me F'**ny" was just brilliant & I loved his angry slamming down of the ketchup bottle on the kitchen counter in frustration at Grandma after Billy says “your driving me mental”.

The say absence makes the heart grow fonder – as absence creates an emotional longing, whether it's for a person or something – well Deans absence from the show for a week has obviously had an effect on him - a longing & determination to get back on stage which resulted in his greatest performance so far. I’ve always thought Dean is determined to achieve things no matter how difficult, especially since I’ll never forgot his last night as Small Boy – when he confidently stood at the Stage Door an announced “I’ll be back”.

In the amount of times I have seen Dean I have always loved his performances whether it was in previous years as Small Boy or Michael, but I have to say in his Billy performances over the past month or so, I have been slightly disappointed with his Billy throughout the show as he seemed to come across as too much of an angry/grumpy/pi***d off Billy from the moment he is thrust onto the stage until Billy leaves at the end – and only seemed to cheer up during The Finale. However I’m glad to say he has proved me wrong & back to the great performances I have seen him give earlier in the year & last year.

Dean has developed into a great Billy, such determination, such passion for the role & making Billy so believable.

Dean's Angry Dance, Dream Ballet & Electricity were brilliant, although for some reason he ended up slightly off centre stage (too near Dad/the chairs) in Electricity when he came back downstage to finish the song. But it was still a fantastic performance & one of his greatest ever. He got well deserved rapturous rounds of applause after all 3 dances with him taking time to enjoy the applause after Electricity.

Absolutely loved his Angry Dance tonight – definitely his best so far.

During the Royal Ballet School audition scene, he almost dropped the tape & pencil, when he started winding the tape spool but managed to grab it & recover it, so it did not look too obvious that he was about to drop them. I have noticed previously & again tonight that he still holds the pencil vertical rather than horizontal so does not look like Billy is holding it out to give it back.

Unfortunately for Dean, The zip on Billy's bag got stuck after he comes out of the audition & says "it was a waste of bloody time" & Dean was trying his hardest to zip it up (although he eventually got it) - but it was a good 10 or so seconds of Dean trying to zip it up & no dialogue from Billy or the Posh Boy - resulting in a longer pause than normal for the Posh Boy before he could kneel down & put his arm around Billy.

At one point tonight, I almost thought Dean had been replaced again at exactly the same point in the show where he was replaced by Ollie a week past Wednesday - after Expressing Yourself. When we were in the Angry Tony/Dad scene, Billy was taking a lot longer than normal to appear on stage in his Dressing Gown & I'm sitting there thinking the worst about Dean - surely not again & expecting the Stage Manager or the Company Manager to come out & say Dean has been replaced again. Luckily this did not happen & Dean came back on in Billy's dressing gown - but it was weird as it took a lot longer than normal for Billy to re-appear - Obviously something happened backstage which delayed Billy's appearance in that scene.

The important thing of course is Dean is back & 100% fit & healthy. He gave an amazing performance tonight, which was praised a lot during the Interval & at the end of the evening.

Welcome back Dean – you were fantastic tonight.

Thank you Ellen for your previous post of moving on from the Billys saying US/IS(IZ)/Me & getting back to the reviews.
Well just to finally finish on the matter - Thanks to iht for the post reminding me of the Geordie pronunciations etc & my review was merely an observation of Ollie's take on the part & the few words & lines he changes compared to the other Billys (as to me he does it more than the other 3).
Whether Ollie says it wrong or not (saying “ME”) I still love his unique & energetic take on the role & love the fact that he changes things. I know it is meant to be the Geordie IS(IZ) meaning ME, but I knew I was not imagining it or going that daft about the Billys saying “US” as Dean quite clearly & definitely did say “US” in “Encouraging US” tonight, not IS, but did say IS(IZ) in “Dad gave it is(iz)" about the 50p for the Boxing to Dead Mum.

All the Billys have there own unique style & way of saying things. I have been fortunate enough to have seen every London Billy since 2005 & have loved their performances & uniqueness they brought, from Liam, James & George right through to the little differences of the current four.

The show was fantastic tonight, but unfortunately did not get off to a great start when the film failed to play at all. Just a blank grey screen with black vertical lines downs it (including lines & marks/stains on the curtain showing up thanks to the lighter grey on the black). The audio still played throughout but it just remained a blank grey screen. It disappeared at one point as they were obviously trying to fix it, so we just had the audio & staring at the black curtain, although by that time, the lights were coming up & we were seeing through the curtain to the Miners Welfare Club so it did not seem to matter. The film did appear briefly again but was still the blank grey screen (basically looked like a giant horrible grey square) so vanished immediately before the curtain was dropped as usual.

When the film failed to play, my first thought was - not again - please do not be a repeat of the tech problems a week past Wednesday - I don't think I could take another one. Thankfully this was the only problem & the rest of the show was fine.

All credit to Small Boy (I have forgotten his name - the Blonde slightly curly hair one) as he continued to watch the film & point anyway despite there been nothing to actually watch. Small Boy was however absent from the scene where he gets lifted & carried off stage by Big Davy & was absent from the entire company line up during final bows.

Apart from the film not playing at all at the beginning, the show went perfectly with only the small thing that happens from time to time when the flames did not appear in the frying pan – so Dad didn’t “burn” the breakfast, but he still threw the towel on top as usual (plus first timers wouldn't have noticed the lack of flames anyway). Later on, there was another silly little thing of a lighting cue been too early in Born to Boogie (just after Billy learns to balance without the help of the chair). Therefore because the next lighting cue was too early it resulted in the spot currently on Billy, Mrs W & Mr Braithwaite going out early as well.

Breakfast Scene.
Everyone really going for it, full of energy & enthusiasm for their parts & a brilliant touch by Ann Emery tonight - as when the striking miners ‘invade’ the Elliots’ kitchen to get some breakfast & are chanting "Here We Go, Here We Go, Here We Go" & later on “Arthur Scargill, Arthur Scargill” - Ann Emery joined in with all their chanting & tapped her feet along to the chanting while also giving a few cheeky little smiles & winks to the miners. She was so cheeky & funny tonight, with another great performance of Grandma's Song & the interaction between her & Dean was brilliant, with Billy listening intently & both making the scene so believable.

Well, it seems to have happened at last, as I may have warmed to Caroline Deverill’s performances as Mrs Wilkinson as I thought she was bloody great tonight – the best she has ever done in the role for me anyway, much more emotion, sensitivity & better delivery of lines for me tonight & much better I thought than her performances during the week.

Something I have not mentioned before is Craig Gallivan's performances as Tony as he is just brilliant & perfect for the role. His passion just makes the character of Tony so believable. (Tony/Craig has even had a haircut since I least seen him on Thursday night). There was also another excellent performance of Deep Into The Ground by Joe Caffrey tonight & another very emotional & powerful performance of He Could Be A Star by him & Craig.

Connor Doyle – what can I say that I have not said before – The boy is a legend - just so funny & fantastic on his final night – so obviously enjoying it & having fun fun fun all the time & really going for it in Express with even more excitable running about & brilliant grumpy faces when Billy initially says No to things. As usual his dancing in Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher was just brilliant, including, dancing across the stage to sit down in front of the puppet show rather than just walking. He really gave it his all in his final performance tonight with great singing & great delivery as usual of Michaels key lines. He really went for it with his singing in The Stars Look Down as well, before Michael exits with his bicycle.

David Nellist stole Michaels red hat during the finale & wore it while the company performed the Expressing Yourself recap before giving it back to Connor for the final bows. Connor was a tiny bit emotional at the final curtain, but still looked so smiley & happy during the final bows.

I did say it on Wednesday but I’ll say it again, Connor you have been brilliant throughout your time in the show, you were fantastic tonight & you have been an outstanding Michael, who will be very much missed by a lot of people. Once again, Good Luck & Best Wishes for the future, you are a great young actor & we hope to see you back in the West End soon.

Fleur was absolutely great tonight as well - every line said & timed to perfection & was brilliant in the Ballet Girls scenes & her scenes with Billy/Dean.

The Scab seems to have definitely 'lost' his new jacket from earlier in the week/last week as he was still wearing the usual brown leather one.

One thing I mentioned during the week is Tom’s great expressions & looks back & forward at Debbie when she is constantly staring at Billy when they are all “focussing on the wall” & I said that Dean has started doing great looks back & forward as well – Well he made me out a liar tonight as he didn’t look at her once & just looked at “the wall” all the time. - naughty Dean.

After me also going on about Ollie doing a unique thing with the biscuit tin compared to Tom, Rhys & Dean – what does Dean go and do tonight - changes it slightly from the way himself, Tom & Rhys normally do it. He did “more of an Ollie” with the biscuit/biscuit tin. Instead of doing his usual just picking a biscuit out & eating it while he turns around & sees the Royal Ballet School Letter, he “done an Ollie” in that he took one biscuit out, split it in half, took time to look at which half he prefers, but instead of putting the discarded half in the lid as Ollie does, he put the discarded half back in the tin. So when he came back later after dumping the Royal Ballet School letter in the bin he still done the usual Dean/Tom/Rhys thing of putting the lid back on as there was no biscuit/half a biscuit in the lid like Ollie has.

During his front of curtain routine, David Nellist added a brilliant line after his topical “sitting there with a face like you’ve booked a flight to Iceland” line, which he has been using over the past week, as tonight for the first time after that line he said,
“That’s enough jokes about Iceland, well at least until the 'dust' settles”, which got a great laugh from the audience.

At the end, Connor Doyle done his usual brilliant emotional performance that shows how upset Michael is over Billy leaving & when that curtain came down slowly tonight it seemed so appropriate that Connor was the only person on stage & we were left staring at him & the last time we were seeing him as Michael. As I was in the Dress Circle I could not see Billy departing up the middle aisle of the Stalls & therefore forgot that the scene is about Billy leaving (and Ahem! didn’t really care for Billy at that point since I couldn’t see him) as I was so engrossed in watching Connor for the last time.

Noticed as the standby Billy/Michael/Debbie boarded the Billy Bus tonight, that Ollie was the standby again - has the poor boy been back to the Billy House at all in the last week as he seems to have been living at the VP for the amount of performances or standbys he has done.

I had to laugh at Ollie though as he seemed to be a bit starry tonight when he walked out to the Billy Bus with a sort of snooty poker face as if to say "I’m a star/celebrity/great actor & superior to you lot therefore I’ll ignore you non famous people” - which then resulted in him thrusting his rucksack into the Billy Bus Driver in a manner that says “here carry this minion, I’m a star & I don’t do carrying bags, so carry this for me”. It was brilliant, considering Connor K & Francesca boarded the bus talking to people & carrying their own bags. I’m sure the House Parents will make Ollie hoover the stairs or something in the Billy House to bring him back down to earth & make sure he does not become too starry – and I’m sure his mum wont let him either.

It was a brilliant show tonight & a great last show for Connor.
Dean, Connor, Fleur & the rest of the cast were on top form with brilliant performances by all.
Dean was outstanding tonight & it was great to see him back.

Since it was Connor Doyle’s last night, it seems appropriate to leave the final word to Michael
to describe tonight’s show overall.

“Cush”.

Cheers
Keith
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks, Keith. Even your "briefer" reviews are a pleasure to read. Glad to hear Dean is back and now the rotation seems to be back to full strength once again :)
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Sorry my review won't be so long (and is a bit late).

Rhys (Saturday 24th matinee) was sensational.

nuff said.

Alex.

But just to add

This was my first show near the front of the stalls (F5 - I'll get to B15 one day if it kills me). I have seen five others from dress or grand circle and one rear stalls. The sound quality is definately better. For the first time ever I have heard what tall boy says to the miners to get them out the kitchen in the opening scene. I have now heard an Express Yourself joke for the first time and heard Billy and Debbie chatter during the early dance lessons. My biggest bug bear about the show was always the poor sound quality. No longer.

It is also great to witness the facial expressions and little winks and nods between the cast. This is not obvious from my usual cheap seats. Oh well, just have to dig deeper for future shows. You do get so much more up front.

In three of my last four shows I have regaled people to my right about how fantastic the show is only for them to leave after Angry Dance, never to be seen again and usually just seconds after I tell them that some of the best bits of the show are yet to come. Is it me! The last lot were a bit prudish and I can only guess it was the swearing. I have also noticed that the audience seem to be getting younger. I have seen virtually whole rows of kids easily as young as 5 or 6. This seems to be new to me, I hardly saw any kids in my first few shows.

Still love the boxing scene the best. I feel that small boy is rushing his G'sus a bit. George hardly had time to cross the stage to deliver his Thatcher's knickers line because small boy had said all his G'sus's in 2 seconds flat.

I don't need many excuses to see the show. Collected my marathon running number in EXCEL East London and inconveniently had to cross central London to get home. Just thought I would stop by The Mall to see the finishing line and accidently found myself 500 meters from the VPT. Oh well, better just drop by and see who was on the board. Since I had not seen Rhys I just had to drop in. It just happened to be 2pm!!
Rhys, thanks for a fantastic show.
Yet to see Dean and Aaron is now listed for May 31st so plenty more reasons to keep coming back. I don't need many excuses to see the show.

Alex
London
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Tuesday 27th April 2010 – UK – London

Billy – Ollie
Michael – Jake
Debbie – Emily

Dad – Jo Caffrey; Tony – Tim Funnell; Mrs W – Caroline Deverill ; Mr B – Sean Kingsley; Grandma – Ann Emery; George – Phil Snowden; Dead Mum – Samantha Seager; Older Billy – Barnaby Meredith; Ballet Dancer in cream tights – James Foster; Big Davy - John Coates; Musical Director – Chris Hatt

I felt very exposed tonight and it had a weakening effect on me. Exposed because I was sat all alone in B15 and the nearest neighbour to me sat in B20- Interestingly enough, Row B beyond B20 was full – either a party of 4 failed to attend or there is some sort of conspiracy at the Box Office – I think the former maybe! Weak, because it was a stunning and fabulous show and because I was slightly isolated, I was very subdued when it came to the audience response at the end of the numbers and even at the end of the show. Furthermore, the show was absolutely worthy of a standing ovation and I failed to get up. Have to say – didn’t like the feeling of isolation and more importantly didn’t like the weakness of spirit when I felt inside that as usual, I wanted to shout and Whooooo all over the place and I wanted to stand and praise the cast as I always do; I just didn’t. It’s probably psychological, but there was even a point in the final bows when Ollie appeared to look at me as if to ask why I was remaining seated when I’m usually up on my feet (I know, before you all start yelping at me that I’m imagining this ) –but that experience, real or not, felt really aweful . Sorry Ollie – you deserved much better from me at any rate!

I was very much impressed by the show tonight. There were a number of cast substitutions including: Mrs W, George, Scab, Tony and Big Davy. All performed brilliantly – I have to say that in many cases, as good if not better that the original and main cast – More later.

But, thank the Lord, after a short absence, it seems that Eden , my very favourite Ballet Girl is back. She was certainly performing this evening and what a performance. She gives it her all – every single time I have seen her, she has given 150% from the silliest little things like eating the pies all over the place to the slapstick attempt at tap in ‘Shine’. She is funny hilarious and often steals the limelight from Debbie – she only has to step on the stage and I’m laughing – for those of you who remember Tommy Cooper or Eric Morecambe, it is a very similar experience because they were just funny without having to do anything. Eden therefore is a must for the show.

After reading KeefyM’s reviews last week, I was keen to focus on Caroline’s interpretation of Mrs W. I suggest that each one of us sees the character slightly differently because, I didn’t feel for a minute that she was cold when interacting with Billy –conversely, there were two or three moments when Caroline as Mrs W showed great understanding and sensitivity with Billy particularly just after she has handed over the dance cassette. I actually like Caroline as Mrs W – she comes across more of a right C*w to me than Jo Riding – whilst retaining an ability to portray a tender side too. Sorry KeefyM – just a view you know!

Phil – your interpretation of George is just a scream. It is quite different from David’s and your costume for this scene just reinforces the stupid and ignorant character George is from the ill fitting jumper that is far too small exposing your stomach gut, to the baggy shorts which look as though their just about to fall off. And what about those legs!!!! I’m a large guy myself with a bit of a gut and I really do find this show refreshing because there are a number of poorly cared for waistlines prancing around on the stage – there’s hope for me yet guys!

I would like to comment tonight about the loving relationship between Billy and Grandma or as it was this evening between Ollie and Ann. I’ve felt that ever since they appeared together on BBC Breakfast, the two of them work great together with Ollie particularly captivated by this crazy old woman and engaged in everything she says and does. I don’t even feel that the funny moments that Grandma introduces require Ollie to act – I actually think he really finds them funny to see.

Another heart wrenching moment was the Letter. Again, Ollie is dripping wet after his duet performance with Michael in Expressing Yourself and this adds to the whole poignancy of the scene. Samantha as the Dead Mum is just perfect in her reaction and interaction with Ollie and visa versa. This is a great and emotional scene which for me is integral to the show. Much as it chokes me every time I see it, I am always looking forward to this part of the show.

Jake did something tonight which I have not noticed before: In the scene following the panto when Michael comes forward from the back of the stage saying ‘…a f**king great Christmas this has been’ he continues to say that all he has received is a bloody football kit then he immediately followed this by pretending to spew up – have to say Jake, it was quite effective and got a good laugh from the audience – Well done.

David Massey in the role of Posh Dad, has slightly altered his delivery of the lines through the introduction of tonal inflections and little pauses. This is done with good effect and was well appreciated by all and of course, I have to mention Shaun Henson who cripples me as he winces about the stage with Billys cassette. Interesting tonight was the fact the when Billy pulled the cassette out of his pocket, the unwound tape was much larger than usual. Billy asked for the pencil in the usual way and started winding up the slack. For whatever reason, this was not completed and both the tape (slightly unwound) and the pencil were given to the Stage Hand (Shaun) to rectify before the Benny Hill music commences.

At the beginning of Electricity Ollie mislaid one of the lines from the song but quickly recovered with a line following on – I’m positive that none of the Billy virgins noticed but Chris, the MD had some quick finger work to move forward to where Ollie picked up. I remember Ollie saying on the BBC Breakfast show that he has occasionally forgot his lines but just keeps going on the basis that nobody knows – I totally agree Ollie, just keep on going, most won’t notice and those of us who do, don’t mind – we’re right behind you – we’re with you all the way and if you’re really stuck, just look to us and we will provide the missing lines for you!!!!

Other than these bits and pieces, the show was its usual fantastic and well performed piece of comic drama. Ollie is simply wonderful and tremendously versatile both with his excellent acting skills, the ballet and of course, my favourite bits the contemporary dance including street, acrobatics and hip-hop.

Finally, just want to mention Chris the MD. Like each of the MD’s looking after the show, each one brings a bit of themselves to the production. With Chris, I’ve noticed the considerable extra improvised bits and pieces that he provides which are definitely not in the music – I could see the score from my seat and he was contributing unlimited and unscored arpeggios and harmonised counter melodies which really do enhance the quality of the music produced. I for one, really appreciate it Chris. Great music as always and for me, you always seem to get the best out of that keyboard.

That’s it for this week – only one show for me – poor do but I’m off to Rome. Looking forward to next Tuesday when I return.

David
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Oh and forgot one thing. Ollie proved me totally wrong tonight (see They do it differently thread) with his delivery of 'it's Mank' Whether it is Ollie's natural dialect or intentional, Ollie usually says 'it's a mank - tonight it definately came through as 'it's mank'
Cheers, thanks Ollie ;) ;)
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

BurtonD said Ollie mislaid a line in Electricity:

By chance was it

I haven't got the words
or
I suppose it's like forgetting, losing who you are
or
confused and all mixed up and mad as hell.

just curious

Alex.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

AJ HOLDEN wrote:BurtonD said Ollie mislaid a line in Electricity:

By chance was it

I haven't got the words
or
I suppose it's like forgetting, losing who you are
or
confused and all mixed up and mad as hell.

just curious

Alex.
Possibly all of those - thanks Alex - great thinking.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Wed. 28th April

Rhys
Joe
Francesca

Tony: Tim
George: Phil
Older Billy: Sergio

What a surprise to arrive at the theatre to see both new boys Rhys and Joe on the board-at-the-door . The pre-show excitement was palpable among Forum members present as none of us had seen Joe and some hadn't seen Rhys before.

Well, the great news is that yet another young star has been found to play the role of Michael. This, presumably, was only Joe's second show but you'd never have guessed. Apart from his acting, singing and dancing skills his diction is crystal clear with not a syllable missed throughout the entire performance. I won't spoil it for anyone by giving a blow-by-blow account of his style so you will just have to get to the VPT to see it for yourselves. I'm sure he will develop the role even further over the next few months and I am looking forward greatly to seeing more of it.

Rhys, meanwhile, was putting on the style himself with a stunning Billy performance culminating in an exquisite ballet Electricity that had everyone drooling. He took everyone by surprise by not "hanging around" too long for his applause but grabbed the bag from Dad and ran off. The applause was still ringing out as the next scene commenced.

Earlier Rhys had given regulars a great laugh when his tossed coin in the kitchen took on a life of its own and, propelled with the intensity of a Freddie Trueman yorker, sped past a hapless Matt standing at first slip.

The Posh Boy scene ended slightly unusually. The safety curtain seemed to be a bit slow in rising although the "stokoosh" sound was heard. Posh Dad grabbed Thomas and took him off down the steps and out the side instead. Eventually, the curtain did go up and all was normal after that.

In the two shows I saw last week I noticed that in the Dad/Mrs W snow scene when Dad pressed the doorbell the music ended. I thought it was quite effective. However, this time the music continued on as before as Dad walked across the stage away from the door. Must watch out for that today.

Thanks to all the fantastic cast for another fantastic show.

Pat
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

Wednesday 28th April 2010 :D

Have to agree with Pat as last night was a fantastic show with great performances by all, including new Michael – Joe Massey, who gave a brilliant performance for only his 2nd show with great diction & no sign of nerves at all. He brought his own style to Michael with a few dialogue changes here & there which were great.

Like Pat, I will not spoil it for anyone by giving a blow-by-blow account of Joe's performance or style, but needless to say he is going to be a great Michael & I cannot wait to see him develop in the role over the next few months. Yet another great young talent on stage – so get along to the VP to see him.

The good news is that the ‘show going wrong jinx’ of the last few Wednesdays & Thursdays has gone – (although I did start to worry again when the Royal Ballet School Safety Curtain was a bit slow in rising as explained by Pat above).

After the last few Wednesdays & Thursdays I was starting to think maybe it was me going on a Wednesday/Thursday jinxing the show & I would have to stop going on these days!, but the show was perfect tonight with Phil Snowden giving us his great take on George & Jo Riding back as Mrs Wilkinson.

Rhys dropping the coin & it rolling off stage next to the MD, did give us regular lot a good laugh (especially since we were sitting in the front row). I loved that Rhys kept looking at/following the coin as it rolled off the stage with a little sigh at the end when he realised it's gone before he continued the scene.

Disappointed again that after myself & burtond pointed out that the wardrobe department seemed to have sorted out different school ties for Billy & the Posh Boy – they were again the same tonight. Michael even came on later with a different school tie to Billy. Never mind – I’m just being too fussy again.

What can I say about Rhys & his performance tonight, well, in the words of John Barrowman - fantastic, fantastic, fantastic. It was phenomenal, an absolutely stunning Billy performance & one of the best I have ever seen in the 5 years I have been going to the show.

Rhys is a brilliant Billy, his Angry Dance is fantastic, his Dream Ballet is fantastic, but for me his Electricity is phenomenal – especially the emotion & actions he shows during the singing part. I have not been so emotional during Electricity since Liam’s days in the show. It was another exquisite Ballet Electricity which the audience absolutely loved & Rhys lapped up the applause, although as Pat says, not for too long before he grabbed Billy’s bag & ran off.

I love Rhys during The Finale as he is just so smiley & happy (as are all the Billy’s but Rhys seems even more so) & you can tell he is really enjoying it & being part of this great show.

I can sum up Rhys’ performance & how great I think he is in the paragraphs below.

I absolutely love all the current Billy’s, they are all fantastic & they have all pushed previous Billy’s further down my favourites list as they are all at the top with Liam Mower still in his No.1 spot as my favourite ever Billy.
Over the years, other great Billy’s have been very very close (Fox, Tom, Leon Cooke to name a few) to replacing Liam as my favourite Billy but have not quite made it to the top spot, but are up there. However it now seems that after 5 years there might be a Billy that causes the biggest shake up to my favourite Billy list - as Rhys Yeomans just might be the Billy that dethrones Liam from his No.1 spot as my all time favourite Billy (considering that Liam cemented his place even further after his performance at the 5th Anniversary).

I’m thinking that now & yet I have only seen Rhys twice, which therefore says a lot about Rhys’ performance & how fantastic he is.
If he is this good now after just starting in the role, what is he going to be like in 6-12 months ?.

Get booking now & if you are lucky enough to get Rhys you will not be disappointed.

Great to have the opportunity to congratulate & thank Rhys for his performance tonight as he boarded the Billy Bus & thanks for the few words Rhys before you did board (despite all the carry on with a load of young girls screaming & blocking the path to the bus & having to be shouted at & hauled back by security when you were all trying to get into the Billy Bus).

(Glad to see Ollie has actually had a night off at last, as Tom was the standby tonight).

Oh and by the way, Rhys is another Billy that has started saying “Encouraging Me”, instead of “Encouraging US/IS(IZ)”. - but lets not go there again.

It was another fantastic show tonight with a well deserved standing ovation at the end. It was great to be in the front row with other forum members & supporters of the show & witness the fantastic performances tonight - especially 'newbies' Rhys & Joe.

Roll on Saturdays shows.

Cheers
Keith

Return to “Reviews Archive”