Reviews of the 5th Anniversary Show

Muppet
Michael

Re: Reviews of the 5th Anniversary Show

Post by Muppet »

ERinVA wrote:I am sure they all would have wanted to be there. Of course, some probably could not come for various reasons, but if, as you say, the rehearsal started only the weekend before, then some of those Billys certainly could have made arrangements to come, and for the company not to have invited them seems a grievous slight against them. If the company could fund a huge party for every London cast member from the beginning to the present, I cannot see that bringing the US London Billys over would have been that big a financial strain.

Nevertheless, I think that every single one of the Billys who were in the London show, regardless of where they live, should have been there if at all possible.
Here, Here!!

I don't get the impression that the production company or its 'backers' are that strapped for cash.

Pexcornel said that some of them felt 'hurt'. This saddens me! It's insulting and makes me feel a little irritated. It WAS a BRILLIANT show and a wonderful celebration which would've been just that bit more perfect and 'complete' if all Billy's were rightly invited and funded to attend. :|
(Please remember these thoughts for the 10th anniversary Mr Daldry!! ;) )
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Well, let's hope they take the advice, Muppet. Now that we have had our say, and given that we can't change the past, I think it's probably time to move on back to reviews of the show.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

One week on from the anniversary show and despite the phenominal spectacle, I am finding it hard to recall large segments of the finale. This is obviously impending great old age. I can only recall fleeting highlights particularly Matthew Koon and then Liam getting shooed off stage and was that Fox doing a handstand? The rest is a blur.
Thank godness for YouTube. I think I was sitting behind that wailing banshee where you are warned about turning the sound down. (It wasn't you was it David).
Anyway to business. Since the Queen has seen and I'm sure loved the show, why don't we get Royal PAtronage. Then we can set up a special school and call it the Royal Billy School (pronounced Bil-lay). All aspiring young Billy's can go for auditions, whack any posh kids, dance Electricity and go on and perform the show for two years. All alumnae can remain at the Royal Billy School and go on and perform the new grand finale every night (as FIRST performed on March 31st), thus assuage the empty feeling I and I;m sure all Billetomanes gained after seeing the show and knowing it was unique. This new finale can be done like the movie, where now aged dad appears in the audience with adult Michael and gasps as first one, then up to 19 Billy's appear on stage and perform that wonderful dance.

Hey - ho -only a thought. About as much chance as the pork pie line returning. I shall just have to try and keep those fleeting memories as intact as possible. But what memories!

In the stalls Thursday 8th maintee, my first adventure into the posh seats. Now I may be able to see who's dancing!

Alex

PS It was great to say hello to the forum members, sorry it was so brief, but no doubt we shall meet again and again very soon.
butterfly33
Audience Member

Post by butterfly33 »

HAPPY 100TH BIRTHDAY MATE X
Muppet wrote:
ERinVA wrote:I am sure they all would have wanted to be there. Of course, some probably could not come for various reasons, but if, as you say, the rehearsal started only the weekend before, then some of those Billys certainly could have made arrangements to come, and for the company not to have invited them seems a grievous slight against them. If the company could fund a huge party for every London cast member from the beginning to the present, I cannot see that bringing the US London Billys over would have been that big a financial strain.

Nevertheless, I think that every single one of the Billys who were in the London show, regardless of where they live, should have been there if at all possible.
Here, Here!!

I don't get the impression that the production company or its 'backers' are that strapped for cash.

Pexcornel said that some of them felt 'hurt'. This saddens me! It's insulting and makes me feel a little irritated. It WAS a BRILLIANT show and a wonderful celebration which would've been just that bit more perfect and 'complete' if all Billy's were rightly invited and funded to attend. :|
butterfly33
Audience Member

Post by butterfly33 »

WHEN IS THE 6TH BIRTHDAY SHOW?? LOL...
PaulWilly
Ballet Girl

Post by PaulWilly »

6th birthday show: Thursday 12 May 2011 evening - back to normal counting, as before (official Opening Night)!
No, hold it, it could be 31 March again... (First Public Prevíew) ;) :( :?
(Hopefully they will tell us a bit in advance!)
“It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

butterfly33 wrote:HAPPY 100TH BIRTHDAY MATE X
Muppet wrote:

Here, Here!!

Thank you very much. ;)
billeon acts
Small Boy

Post by billeon acts »

the dance sequence (that was recorded) starts from about

38 secs in - you see 2 Billys on stage - the blonde one in the front is Bradley Wilson, and behind him is Leon Cooke. Brad exits with coupe jetes that take him across the stage to house right and at about

44 secs we see a smaller darker haired Billy come in with a flip - that's Fox Jackson-Keen. He does a no-hands backflip, two more Billys enter on stage with a flip at about 48 sec. I'm not sure who they are (ETA - I think these are Ollie Gardner and Tom Holland)

57 secs we see Layton Williams (house left) and Josh Fedrick (R) slide to the front of the stage

1:05 street billys - I see Sam Angell, James Lomas, Dean McCarthy, Layton and Josh are behind. I think Travis Yates is on the far stage right.

1:18 - appearing in jete from upstage we see Matthew Koon who double somersaults downstage and he leads a little solo section. Behind him I think are Rhys Yeomans and Dean Charles Chapman and for a brief second we see Olly Taylor saut de chat across the stage behind the three of them.

1:35 - Liam Mower in his now iconic ala seconde turns. Four Billys somersault across the stage alternately behind him. All do no hands somersaults. I'm unclear who they are.

Having viewed a few videos now can any body help to pinpoint any other billies? As I now believe it is easier to see Leon follows the 3 originals with the no hand back flip, joined by Josh? (as he would be the next ballet billy when you miss out the likes of the American Billies who would have probably been classed as ballet (colin, corey) and of course Matthew who comes in later on his own after the street boys, then as stated above, nearly all the same from that point except I believe we can now add that Layton is one of the boys doing a flip behind Liam's turns, as it's been captured in one of the forums facebook gallery photos and Leon and possibly Travis and Matthew/James (?) with Leon doing a split jump behind the new billies?
Also wondered is it possible to still access any of the birthday videos or have they all been removed because they are illegal?
PaulWilly
Ballet Girl

Post by PaulWilly »

Also wondered is it possible to still access any of the birthday videos or have they all been removed because they are illegal?
Just search YouTube for "Billy Elliot 5th Anniversary"... ! 8-)
“It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
Justin
Tall Boy

Post by Justin »

billeon acts wrote:
the dance sequence (that was recorded) starts from about

38 secs in - you see 2 Billys on stage - the blonde one in the front is Bradley Wilson, and behind him is Leon Cooke. Brad exits with coupe jetes that take him across the stage to house right and at about

44 secs we see a smaller darker haired Billy come in with a flip - that's Fox Jackson-Keen. He does a no-hands backflip, two more Billys enter on stage with a flip at about 48 sec. I'm not sure who they are (ETA - I think these are Ollie Gardner and Tom Holland)

57 secs we see Layton Williams (house left) and Josh Fedrick (R) slide to the front of the stage

1:05 street billys - I see Sam Angell, James Lomas, Dean McCarthy, Layton and Josh are behind. I think Travis Yates is on the far stage right.

1:18 - appearing in jete from upstage we see Matthew Koon who double somersaults downstage and he leads a little solo section. Behind him I think are Rhys Yeomans and Dean Charles Chapman and for a brief second we see Olly Taylor saut de chat across the stage behind the three of them.

1:35 - Liam Mower in his now iconic ala seconde turns. Four Billys somersault across the stage alternately behind him. All do no hands somersaults. I'm unclear who they are.

Having viewed a few videos now can any body help to pinpoint any other billies? As I now believe it is easier to see Leon follows the 3 originals with the no hand back flip, joined by Josh? (as he would be the next ballet billy when you miss out the likes of the American Billies who would have probably been classed as ballet (colin, corey) and of course Matthew who comes in later on his own after the street boys, then as stated above, nearly all the same from that point except I believe we can now add that Layton is one of the boys doing a flip behind Liam's turns, as it's been captured in one of the forums facebook gallery photos and Leon and possibly Travis and Matthew/James (?) with Leon doing a split jump behind the new billies?
All the Billys who danced the routine are identified - George Maguire did not perform in that dance sequence due to commitments which prevented him from attending rehearsal until the Wednesday - he appeared in the beginning with Liam and James for his bow and again on stage at the very end. The two future Billys appear at the very end.

The actual dance itself follows the bow of the three originals and is divided into sections - ballet, street, followed by ballet again. Apart from the four Billys who flip at the very end, each Billy only appears once in his section - there's very little cross-over. The ballet Billys - Liam, Leon, Olly, Brad, Dean, Rhys - appear in the ballet section, and the street Billys - James, Travis, Dean, Layton, Sam, Josh, Fox, Tom, Ollie appear in the street section. Matthew is the only exception - him being a street Billy but appearing in the ballet section.

The first ballet section is started by Leon who is joined by Brad - flip, walkovers, en dehor turns and coupe jetes to end.

The second section is all street/acro started by Fox who is joined by Tom and Ollie. They flip off the stage and Josh and Layton slide to the front from upstage, they remain on stage but go behind (from L-R), Travis, Sam, James, Dean. They divide into two groups and backflip off-stage.

The third section (ballet) starts with Matthew from upstage in jete, he double somersaults to the front and is joined by Dean and Rhys. Olly Taylor does a saut de chat (or split jump however you call it) behind them. Matt coupe jetes off stage and is followed by Liam who coupe jetes on stage and does ala seconde turns. Behind him 4 Billys somersault across the stage - I recognize Josh and Layton. I'm not sure who the other two are. Olly Taylor does not flip. I'm very familiar with how Brad and Matthew flip as well and the more elongated shape they make when somersaulting and I don't think it's them either. If I were to guess - I'd say Fox and Dean both of them having quite compact and athletic flips.

That's all the Billys who actually danced in the megamix accounted for.
Red's my colour

Return to “Reviews Archive”