April 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Jacob Clemente's Debut
Billy-Jacob Clemente
Michael-Jake
SB=-Luke
Tony-David Larsen
Mum-Stephanie Kurtzuba

First things first I know that I need a BE addiction program. Although at this point it would probably fail :lol:. I find myself making excuses to stay in the city and walk by the Imperial. I did a walk up purchase about an hour before this show(J4). When I saw Jacob's name on the board there was no doubt I was buying a seat. I now get recognized by some of the ticket window personnel. One annoying thing from show the lady who came out to introduce Jacob did not introduce herself.

Stars Look Down
Luke sets the stage. Jacob has a very pleasant singing voice. He looks right in height, size and age for Billy. I am waiting with great anticipation to see Jacob dance. Jacob was a little excited to. He splashed himself with the milk in the kitchen scene(When Mum walked in and goes littleun what have I told you about drinking out of bottle) . Milk mustache and chin :D. Billy, Michael and George have great chemistry in boxing scene. I love Jacob's boxing dance. So does the audience.

We'd Go Dancing
Carole Shelly is Grandma what else is there to say. One major point to bring up. I think the Billy's now playing all do a great job of showing their involvement by emotions on their faces in Grandma's song. If you watch them out of the corner of your eye you can see them smiling and laughing in the right places. This caught my eye especially about Jacob's first show.

Shine/Solidarity
Ballet Girls as always are the shining moment. Laughter at their antics is definitely the best medicine for the blues. Jacob's progression from Mrs W's teaching of ballet is one of the things I have always loved about this show. I believe Jacob is a lefty. although he threw right handed. His rotations were counter clockwise. In the confrontation with Dad Jacob's "I hate you" is a little soft but his "your a b**t*rd is nice and loud. He gets his laughter for "Oh sh*t. One scary moment Izzy tipped over the chair when going to stand on it to turn out lights for the shadow dance and d**kh**d line.

Expressing Yourself
Jake as always is great with facial expressions and tone of voice for laughter. Jacob does more than fine for a first show from his opening "f*ck*ng h*ll. To the look on his face while Jake is making him dress in woman's clothing. As for the tapping Jacob at twelve years old and first show did fine. Height wise Jacob is only a little taller than Jake.

Dear Billy
Jacob lets the emotions flow full out. He's still wiping away tears when Mr B appears. There is not going to be many dry eyes when he does the Letter.

BTB
Thommie Retter :!: :!: :!: :P . A couple of missed steps with jump rope otherwise more than fine. No piano for Jacob just acro.

Angry Dance
I say this with a smile on my face and well meaning. Time and experience is what Jacob needs. For the rest of the audience they absolutely love him. He was pretty vocal during Angry Dance except toward the last part. His scream of anger was fine. Jacob made me very happy with one thing he did. He looked back at audience twice while walking away off stage to keep us engaged.

Intermission
All around me there is a buzz of excitement and amazement. Particularly when I tell someone he is only 12.

Deep Into The Ground
Jacob and Jake draw the right response from this audience with the kiss. No snickering or laughter which annoys me. It should be an OH :!: moment. I think that I need to take a vote for which is the worst :roll: :D piece of British humor in this show. The nutcracker joke or William Elliot Esquire. Easton and Jacob in the Dream Ballet do fine together. Time for a twelve year old to grow is what's needed. One more thing that I noticed is Jacob pausing and looking back at Dad after being told to go home. I think Dayton did this also. Another oh cr*p moment. Jacob took a fall after being told to go home by Dad at back of stage.

He could Go " "
I would just like to mention that David Larsen does a fine job of playing Tony. Just when Will Chase has been cutting back on hitting the Scab with the money. David hit him full out and had Jacob all over the stage after the money :lol:

Electricity
For right now the only thing I have to say is Jacob is a good young Billy and deserves the long applause at the end. Yet another almost all ballet with some acro. This is were it is definitely evident about counter clockwise wise movement. With last acro starting at left stage instead of right. One of his bothers yell way to go Jake at the pose.

Company Finale
I love that the Company when it comes out to wave Jacob back to the stage. They really shows Jacob their appreciation. Ah and another vocal leader up front of the Company with Jacob. The audience wants to give him a standing ovation but sits down when the finale number starts. Jacob does get his standing O at the end. Great smile inducing chatter from the people leaving the show. My thoughts for the evening. Another Billy to watch grow into the show for along time hopefully.

Stage Door
A nice crowd plus Jacob's family waiting for him. Kate Hennig stopped to congratulate Jacob.

Lastly anyone know of a good twelve step addiction program :D :lol:
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
theluji
Small Boy

Re: April 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by theluji »

Thank you for your wonderful 1st review of Jacob, Musical Fanatic !!!
You are so lucky to see his debut :D
A lot of Cast has changed though it has been only three months since I went to New York...
Where should I go next ? New York or Chicago :roll: :roll:
I want to see both :)
theluji
New York
Billy : David A x 4 , Kiril x 1 , Trent x 1.3 , Tommy x 0.7 , Liam R x 1 , Dayton x 2 , Jacob x 1 , Alex x 1
Michael : David B x 5 , Keean x 2 ,Trevor x 4 , Jake x 1
Tall Boy : Keean x 3 , Tommy x 2 , Kiril x 1, Kylend x 3 , Ben x 3

Chicago
Billy : Cesar x 2
Michael : Gabriel x 2
Tall Boy : Spencer x 2

Toronto
Billy : Cesar x 1 , Marcus x 1 , Myles x 1
Michael : Jack x 2 , Dillon x 1
Tall Boy : Dillon x 2 , Jack x 1
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thank you for the review of Jacob's first show, Musical Fanatic. I was a little concerned, since there was no announcement ahead of time that he would be debuting last night, that someone from the forum might not be there to write a review. Luckily you were passing by the theater at the right moment. :)

From your report, Jacob had a more than adequate first show and your read is that there is a lot of talent there which needs to be nurtured with more experience. As the creatives tend to do, they'll be fine tuning his performance in the days to come and he'll settle into the role as he performs it more and more.

It'll be nice to have four Billys back in the rotation for a while as Dayton mends.
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Post by Moby-Dick »

porschesrule wrote:I was a little concerned, since there was no announcement ahead of time that he would be debuting last night, that someone from the forum might not be there to write a review. Luckily you were passing by the theater at the right moment.
Hear hear!! And yay!! Thanks so much for taking the time to write up a review of Jacob's debut performance, Musical Fanatic. Absolutely loved reading it.
Musical Fanatic wrote:I am waiting with great anticipation to see Jacob dance. Jacob was a little excited to. He splashed himself with the milk in the kitchen scene(When Mum walked in and goes littleun what have I told you about drinking out of bottle). Billy, Michael and George have great chemistry in boxing scene. I love Jacob's boxing dance. So does the audience. Milk mustache and chin :D.
Can't imagine the excitement Jacob must have felt in his debut on Broadway as Billy. The milk mustache moment must have been cute - definitely made me smile when I read it. Can't wait to see Jacob's take on the boxing dance, as it is always good fun to see what each of the boys does for this particular bit in the show.
Musical Fanatic wrote:Jacob lets the emotions flow full out. He's still wiping away tears when Mr B appears. There is not going to be many dry eyes when he does the Letter.
How these young actors are able to put so much emotion into a performance is beyond me. The Letter scene gets me each and every time I see it. Sounds like Jacob, with more time and nurturing, will prove to be a detailed and emotionally powerful actor in the role of Billy.
Musical Fanatic wrote:I think that I need to take a vote for which is the worst :roll: :D piece of British humor in this show. The nutcracker joke or William Elliot Esquire.
Perhaps my sense of humour is on the childish side, but I love both of these jokes - especially the "Esquire" line. :lol: :lol:
Musical Fanatic wrote:Lastly anyone know of a good twelve step addiction program :D :lol:
Unfortunately, I think you've come to the wrong place for that kind of advice - seeing as most of us here are equally if not more addicted! ;)

Thanks again for the detailed and comprehensive review, Musical Fanatic. Looking forward to more!

x
M-D
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Moby-Dick wrote:
Musical Fanatic wrote:I think that I need to take a vote for which is the worst :roll: :D piece of British humor in this show. The nutcracker joke or William Elliot Esquire.
Perhaps my sense of humour is on the childish side, but I love both of these jokes - especially the "Esquire" line. :lol: :lol:
Musical Fanatic wrote:So do I but they are cringe worthy bad :lol:

Thanks again for the detailed and comprehensive review, Musical Fanatic. Looking forward to more!

x
M-D
[/quote]Your welcome.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

porschesrule wrote:Thank you for the review of Jacob's first show, Musical Fanatic. I was a little concerned, since there was no announcement ahead of time that he would be debuting last night, that someone from the forum might not be there to write a review. Luckily you were passing by the theater at the right moment. :)

From your report, Jacob had a more than adequate first show and your read is that there is a lot of talent there which needs to be nurtured with more experience. As the creatives tend to do, they'll be fine tuning his performance in the days to come and he'll settle into the role as he performs it more and more.

It'll be nice to have four Billys back in the rotation for a while as Dayton mends.
There were rumors I' am glad I paid attention to. As to his surprise to the public debut I think that they had no choice because of whats happened. Only other thing I have to say. Is let Jacob grow and settle into the role at his own pace. We will all have large smiles then after seeing him perform.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Many thanks for the review of Jacob's debut.

I believe that "handedness" is not necessarily the determinant of which way a dancer turns or leaps. In Electricity, Kiril started his final leap sequence leading up to the final acro run, to his left even though he is right-handed. And his previous leaps were to his right.

I, too, have considered a 12-Step program to "de-tox." Do you know this joke? (apologies -- I am horrible at telling jokes): A man walks into a psychiatrist's office and tells the doctor, "My brother thinks he's a chicken." The psychiatrist says, "I think I can help him break this delusion," but the man answers, "Please don't. We need the eggs." That's the conclusion I keep coming to with the Billy stuff. I know it's nuts, but I need the eggs.

Now, back to reviews!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Added comments in blue below.
Musical Fanatic wrote:
Mum-Stephanie Kurtzuba

she was on as Mum on 3/31 as well and I thought she was fantastic

One scary moment Izzy tipped over the chair when going to stand on it to turn out lights for the shadow dance and d**kh**d line.

The chair used for this and other places was slightly off balance on Wednesday 3/31 as well.

Thanks for the review, Musical Fanatic and welcome Jacob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)
Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

phoebe wrote:Many thanks for the review of Jacob's debut.

I believe that "handedness" is not necessarily the determinant of which way a dancer turns or leaps. In Electricity, Kiril started his final leap sequence leading up to the final acro run, to his left even though he is right-handed. And his previous leaps were to his right.

I, too, have considered a 12-Step program to "de-tox." Do you know this joke? (apologies -- I am horrible at telling jokes): A man walks into a psychiatrist's office and tells the doctor, "My brother thinks he's a chicken." The psychiatrist says, "I think I can help him break this delusion," but the man answers, "Please don't. We need the eggs." That's the conclusion I keep coming to with the Billy stuff. I know it's nuts, but I need the eggs.

Now, back to reviews!
LOL Phoebe, loved that!!! =)

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

angelenroute wrote:
phoebe wrote:Many thanks for the review of Jacob's debut.

Now, back to reviews!
LOL Phoebe, loved that!!! =)
I loved it to Phoebe and as you so gently hinted back to the reviews I shall go. For I have already screwed up the detox program. On wards and up wards to Jacob Clemente show #2

Return to “Reviews Archive”