May 2010 Reviews - NYC

Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Re: May 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Todd wrote:
Musical Fanatic wrote: The final tradition is singing the leaving cast member off after the curtain has dropped. Another brilliant idea. It is very emotionally satisfying thing to stop and listen for.
I had never heard of this (singing "Happy Trails" to the departing performer) until reading about it awhile back on The Forum, but apparently it is a longstanding Broadway tradition.
Sorry I did not mean to make the song or flowers a BE only tradition :D BE is the only show that I have ever really taken notice or cared about leavings :( :( :(
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Sat May 29 Mat
Billy-Michael
Michael-Jake
TB-Kylend
Tony-Jeff Kready

Sat May 29 Eve
Billy-Alex
Michael-Kylend
TB-Jacob C
Tony-Jeff Kready

Will write reviews later but Kylend definitely got my attention in the night show. He did a full out split from the standing position for the nutcracker joke :D can I say ow ow ow :D :lol:. More later when its not 1:30 :shock: :shock: :o in morning NY Time
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Musical Fanatic wrote:Kylend definitely got my attention in the night show. He did a full out split from the standing position for the nutcracker joke :D can I say ow ow ow :D :lol:
:o The thought of it brings tears to my eyes :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Dayton's Return

Sun May 30 Mat
Billy-Dayton Tavares :D :D :D :D
Michael-Jake
TB-Kylend
Tony=Jeff Kready

Sun May 30 Eve
Billy-Jacob
Michael-Kylend
Tony-Jeff Kready
TB-Michael Dameski :D :D :lol:

The privilege of insanity in seeing the NY show so many times is hearing some very reliable :!: :!: rumors :D . So I had some warning that Dayton was going to be on in the Mat. That Michael was going to be TB in the Eve. So lets start with Dayton. It was great seeing him back after his accident. Dayton was definitely a bit rusty :) in certain scenes from his 10 weeks off. It was really very strange seeing Michael D as TB. I think this is actually great because the Billy's get to see how other characters they work with play from the other side.

Shine/Solidarity
Some how I have not mentioned Greg Jbara since he has been back. What a physically imposing presence he is on stage. His anger at finding Billy at the ballet class really sets the scene and the show up for later in the RBS scene. Makes it more believable that MR B is scared out of his wits and helps draw the laughter when he ducks back in through the door. New clothes for Mr B. He now wears leather jacket and jeans(Chicago strikes again). Though Thommie was ready for the change.

Expressing Yourself
Dayton and Jake are the old hands now if that's not a funny way to describe a 14 and 12 year old. While they were doing the arm in arm hopping. Dayton turned and stuck his tongue out at Jake. I am out of adjectives to describe the way I love Jake's Michael. He now does this robot move when he tells billy to (Hold on a minute. The finishing touch)Jake and Dayton what an incredible pair of laughable idiots :D .

Dear Billy(Letter)
I had forgotten just how great Dayton is in expressing his emotions for his dead Mum while reading the letter. The emotional breakup of his voice and the tears leaking from his eyes. You can hear and see the people around you wiping eyes(me included at least its dark :oops: :P ) and blowing noses The Imperial should start selling a BE snivel kit at the souvenir :D :lol: stand. Between Jacob,Dayton,Alex and Michael they would make a fortune every show. I don't think I have mentioned Stephanie Kurtzuba in any of my reviews since she took over for Leah Hocking. She is much more outgoing with her interactions with the Billy's. With Jacob the youngest Billy she pounds his knees gently with her fists to try to buck him up.

BTB
Jump rope went just about perfect except for a misstep by Dayton. His routine has amazing speed, precision and difficulty. To be honest I think Dayton was having some trouble in his first show back with ballet. He looked a bit flat footed{will expand more in Angry Dance). Ankle strength will probably have to be built back up. Ballet for Dayton to end the scene. A short tap routine :D for Jacob C for his ending to BTB.

Angry Dance
Dayton gave it his all but you could tell he was rusty. By the final scream sweat was pouring off of Dayton. His hair was sopping wet with sweat. Definitely going to need a couple of shows to get back in shape. Jacob in the Eve. show had an absolutely amazing Angry Dance. Time and number of shows done really do matter for a Billy this young. I have now been privileged to see some knock your socks off performances in the last week plus. I have now heard "How the h*ck did he(Billy) just do that" in incredulous voices from around me at every show this last week plus.

Dream Ballet
Kylend does a full split(sideways to the audience) from out of his dance skit. Then goes to his legs curled under him for the nutcracker joke. You can tell Kylend has been trained for some dance. Nice high leg kicks :lol: . Ah I would really love for Kylend to have time to grow into the Michael role. Oh well not to be :( but good for him :!: First time I have seen Dayton ever drop chair from out of the spin.

Electricity
Have to tease Michael next time I see him at SD.. Where were my great big sobbing cries :o :shock: from TB at the punch from Billy. I had also forgotten Dayton does a forward roll like Tommy B as part of his routine. Same thing here if you had seen Dayton before. Timing and movement needs time :) to get back to speed.

Finale
Draws standing O's for both Dayton and Jacob.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Musical Fanatic wrote: Sun May 30 Eve
Billy-Jacob
Michael-Kylend
Tony-Jeff Kready
TB-Michael Dameski :D :D :lol:
Pretty cool getting to see 3 present and/or future Billys on stage in the same show !
LPOZ
Small Boy

Post by LPOZ »

Here we go - my first review on the forum (I have been a regular reader though...) and with only 15 or so shows behind me I am by no means as much of an expert as some of you, but as I did my first billython (7 shows in a week...), I thought it would be interesting to show my impressions. I was very excited to see so many new Billies - last time I was doing a mini billython, Trent, Tommy and David were still doing the rounds, but with so many good reviews of the new group, I couldn't wait...

I won't review each show individually, but will give some general observations. I was there for every show between Tue May 25 and Sun May 30th, except for the Wednesday matinee (I was here for work, after all... ;) ), enjoying 5 Billies, 2 Michaels, 2 SBs, 4 TB/PBs and 2 Tonies.

Ensemble - While the focus of reviews is often on the main characters, I have to say that one of the key strengths of this show is in the powerful ensemble - the ballet girls, miners, policemen, wives/mums etc etc. The attention to detail, acting, singing and dancing of this group of professionals really brings the story and main characters come out so well and it great to see so many of the originals still giving it their best during each performance.

Billies
I know it has been said so many times before, but it is amazing how each actor makes his own Billie and therefore gives regulars like me something new/fresh every night. While people may have preferences to particular styles, I have not seen a single Billie that I was not completely blown away by - a real compliment for the boys and the many people supporting and coaching them in the background. On several nights, I heard people around me in the audience say that these boys are not the "real" Billies just because they are not "Tony-winning" Trent, David or Kiril, which really p$%ses me off! I personally think that these 5 boys deserve awards just as much as the great "opening" trio.

Michael D - my first Billie of the week. I had tried to see him back home in Australia, but never did. My expectations were VERY high after the rave reviews here but I was blown away by his all-round talent. Trying to decide what his major strength is but his acting, singing and dancing are all very powerful and he has an amazing stage presence (even as tall boy/posh boy). I really hope he gets a chance to stay on Broadway for a bit longer as the Billie role seems to be made for him. He does the geordie accent really well and I love all the acro (including the only 2 piano jumps I saw this week and the most aggressive electricity!). During Saturday's matinee, his mic came loose during Expressing Yourself and had to be switched off, but he kept going like a true professional.

Alex K - OK, I will always have a soft spot for Alex as I saw his first performance last October (WOW) and was devastated to hear about his injury shortly thereafter. So good he is back in top form, having really matured into the role. As others have mentioned, his Billy is different but it is hard to put your finger on it. Beautiful dancing, his voice has grown stronger role and he is a fun actor as well.

Liam - WOW, what a dancer...and that smile. After seeing Michael and Jacob the days before, I did notice his vocals weren't as strong yet, but that will come with time and is more than offset by his amazing dancing (you can see by his walk that he is meant to dance, if you know what I mean). Dream ballet is definitely his master piece in my opinion but his dancing/acting was good across the board.

Dayton - Was disappointed to hear Dayton was out with an injury when planning the trip so you can imagine my excitement when I walked into the Imperial on Sunday morning and seeing Dayton on the board for the matinee. I had only bought the extra Sunday matinee ticket the night before and I am glad I did. Dayton is a real all-rounder with great dancing, singing and acting. His Angry Dance is out of this World! With such a strong performance after 8-9 weeks out of the running, I can only imagine what he will be like after a few more shows. Particularly impressive with the rope in B2B.

Jacob - Leaving Jacob till last as I am feeling guilty. Saw him first on Thursday and after a really bad day at work, getting soaking wet on my way to the Imperial, high expectations after seeing Michael on Tuesday, a little bias from other reviews and probably not his strongest performance, I was underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, he was amazing, but having seen so many Billies, expectations are (too?) high. SOOOOOOO you can imagine my surprise, happiness, and (to be honest) embarrassment after seeing Jacob perform on Sunday evening (a few hours ago) and absolutely nailing it (he literally brought the house down with the loudest applause and audience comments this week). I completely agree with other forum members that he reminds me of Jamie Bell in the movie. Very strong voice, probably the best acting/timing I have seen this week and while his dancing is not yet as strong as the more experienced Billies, he was very impressive in the main sections (Solidarity, B2B, Dream Ballet, Electricity). It was very endearing to see such a young boy work so hard to give the best performance and while that sometimes means he is not as smiley as some of the others (you can see the concentration in his eyes), I would not be surprised if, when I am back in a few months time, Jacob is the new star performer in the group... (now that I am owning up to sudden bursts of bad judgement, I may as well admit that I had my doubts about Tommy (my first Broadway Billy when he had only just that week started as an understudy for David, Trent and Kiril), while seeing him again a few month later elevated him very quickly to one of my favs). I didn't notice it on Thursday, but I noticed tonight that instead of the piano jump, Jacob actually goes behind the piano and drinks Mr Braithwates beer. Hilarious!!

Michaels - 4x Jake and 3x Kylend. I love Michael's character and both Jake and Kylend are doing very well. Jake is very funny and his comic timing is excellent. While not yet at the level of David B (amazing to hear he is coming back - why is Australia so far away?), he is already making the role his own, which is good to see. I understand that Kylend has only just started to fill in as Michael but he is doing a great job (I hope stories about him training as Billy are correct). His voice is good, but he needs to pace himself a little as he sometimes gets out of breath during Express making it harder to understand. Kylend is very funny and is already making his own mark on the role. He sometimes rushes his lines a little (the difficulty of comic timing) but that will come with time. As mentioned by others before, his jump straight into a split before the nut cracker joke is amazing... I was a little surprised that Kylend was often lined up with the less experienced Billies but there must have been good reasons for this.

Small Boys - I had never seen Luke and Seth before and they are both adorable. I probably never appreciated until this week what an amazing job these little ones are doing.

Tall Boys/Posh Boys - 4x Kylend, 1x Alex, 1x Jacob and 1x Michael D - It was fun to see the Billies take on the other role and they really seem to be enjoying seeing the action from a different angle. Kylend has really made it his own role and with Jacob is clearly the more experienced, but that may just be because I know Alex and Michael better as Billies so while it is great to see them in a different role, it is still a little strange to see them get punched as posh boy rather than doing the punch. Michael didn't cry tonight in this scene, but not sure if that was just his take on it...

Debbie - Probably another role I have paid too little attention to in the past, but Izzy Hanson-Johnston has been fantastic all week. What a great new(-ish) addition to the cast. Very funny and while I agree with previous comments that the lines about her dad sh$%ging and being an alcoholic are not my favourites, she delivers them very well.

Kate Hennig - What can I say - I was blown away by Kate on her debut night (the same night as Alex) and she has really made it her own now. A lot more emotional than Haydn (still a superstar as well). I think Kate had a cold this week and while this impacted her voice a little in Shine, it actually made the whole performance a bit more authentic (Northern English weather and all...). Overall, I think her voice in the final part of Shine, the end of Solidarity and all of B2B seems more powerful now than in October, but that may just be my imagination. It is so obvious from reading her blogs that she is very close to the role and her "boys" and it really comes out in the performance, which seems a bit more than just acting.

Greg Jbara - Outstanding as always and good to have Greg back, even if I was curious to see Phil as dad just as a comparison to Greg (the only dad I have ever seen except for my first BE experience in Sydney when I was still ignorant about the production so can't remember much of the detail). For me, Greg = Billie's dad and he didn't disappoint this week with perfect comic timing, emotion, strong voice and strong stage presence.

Carole Shelley - Broadway's favourite grandma. Maybe I am imagining it but I thought her voice was even stronger than before. As with Mrs W, the directors have done a great job with Carole and the boys in terms of small acting nuances in We'd go Dancing...

Tony - 3x Will and 4x Jeff. I think I saw Will for the first time in October and he has really grown into the role. He was already very good, but his acting is so powerful now. Jeff does an excellent job as an understudy (another great example of how much talent there is in the ensemble).

Others - Joel Hatch is a classic as George, not sure how they will ever replace him. Then again, I thought the same about Big Davey (apologies, I forgot the name of the original actor and my playbills are at home in Sydney...) but Rick is doing an awesome job there. Donnie Kehr is great as Scab and Posh dad. Stephanie is amazing as mum and with the boys a lot more emotional during the Letters, Stephanie seems to play Mum with more emotion as well. Not many dry eyes in the house... Even the 17-year old boy who was sitting in front of me tonight and was clearly not impressed his parents had taken him to Billy Elliot (or so he kept saying to his cousin...) was crying at the end...heheh. Stephen Hanna is back as Older Billie and works really well with all 5 boys (never saw the repacement so can't compare). Natalie Wisdom was Clipboard woman all week and was hilarious. And finally....Thommie Retter IS Mr Braithwaite as far as I'm concerned. I know I will have forgotten people, but as I said at the beginning, this show is partly made by the powerful and cohesive ensemble.

Orchestra - I have always felt BE deserves a bigger, more powerful orchestra on Broadway, but it does work and the music has been wonderful every night. Well done to David and Shawn!

Audience - Generally we had enthusiastic, happy crowds this week, although I would have liked to see more and earlier standing ovations. Come on, people, these are 12-14 year olds singing, dancing, acting, crying, laughing, entertaining for three hours...! I already vented my anger about some ignorant comments about "real" Billies and it is very annoying how Michael kissing Billie is now more often than not met with shock, giggles and "oh no's". You're missing the point, people...

I think that's it. I am sure more will come to mind over time, but the review is long enough as it is. Before heading back to Winter in Australia, work is taking me to London first and while I have not booked any tickets yet, it may be time for my first West End Billy Experience... It's probably good I don't live in New York as I am not sure I can't handle more stares from the wonderful Imperial Theatre staff ("were you not here 2 hours ago..."?), at least not until October...

Thanks to all the regular contributors to this forum. Please continue to keep us "foreigners" posted on all things new and exciting in Billy World...

LPOZ
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Great review of the shows LPOZ. A couple of points you made that I would comment on. Kate Hennig talks about Jacob in her blog on the show. How he attacks the parts he has trouble with and keeps on going. The good thing with Kylend will be that at least he will have played Michael on B-way for a few shows. So Kylend will have done TB and Michael before his Billy. I think the line up of Kylend happened because of Vacation(Liam),Dayton's planned return(I am guessing that they wanted Jake with him) and scheduling the Billy to fill in for TB role.
LPOZ
Small Boy

Post by LPOZ »

Musical Fanatic wrote:Great review of the shows LPOZ. A couple of points you made that I would comment on. Kate Hennig talks about Jacob in her blog on the show. How he attacks the parts he has trouble with and keeps on going. The good thing with Kylend will be that at least he will have played Michael on B-way for a few shows. So Kylend will have done TB and Michael before his Billy. I think the line up of Kylend happened because of Vacation(Liam),Dayton's planned return(I am guessing that they wanted Jake with him) and scheduling the Billy to fill in for TB role.
Thanks Musical Fanatic. Sounds like we were at quite a few of the same shows. It is wonderful to see how determined Jacob is. On Kylend - I hope I didn't sound negative in my review as I certainly didn't mean to. He is an amazing and very talented boy and I can't wait to catch him again as TB, Michael or Billy in the future.

Just woke up realising I have no BE show to go to... :shock: :( I'd better put on the sound track and go for a run :roll:
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks for taking the time, LPOZ, to write down your impressions of your "billython". Well done! I always enjoy reading the comments from a billython as it gives one a good idea as to the strengths and comparisons between those actors who play the same role (i.e. Billy and Michael), by the same viewer, in a very compact time frame. Because all the actors tend to grow in their roles over time, to me this "snapshot" of the show makes for very interesting reading. Again thanks.

That having been said, can't wait now for your review of your English billython :lol: :lol:
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Michael D - my first Billie of the week. . During Saturday's matinee, his mic came loose during Expressing Yourself and had to be switched off, but he kept going like a true professional.
He also lost his mic during BTB I could see it hitting him in face during jump rope and then he did piano flip with it flapping around :!: :!: :!:

Return to “Reviews Archive”