Site Admin
Site Admin

May 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by ERinVA »

Here's a new thread for May reviews.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Re: May 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Edited May 6th
Sun. May2 730pm(my B-day)
DAD-Phil Whitchurch(last show)
Dead Mum-Leah Hocking(out for a while)
Billy-Jacob
Michael-Trevor
Debbie-Georgie
SB-Luke
Tracy A-Maddy

Lets see where to start this review. I was supposed to leave NY at the end of April :oops: :oops: :lol:. Guess where I ended up coming back to for at least two weeks. Even worse :lol: I am staying in midtown. I came in Thur. and even ended up being near Times Square Sat. night for the terrorist incident.Ended up not seeing any show that night. So much for trying not to see the show for a while. I at least had good excuses :D my birthday and Phil's last show. I liked Phil's take on Dad for the most part as being very different to Greg's. Through out the whole show all I am thinking is this is the last time I will see Phil play this scene every time he came on. As for the show it was like another day at the office for Phil. A very good steady professional performance.

Stars Look Down
Jacob has a very good singing voice and it comes across very well in (Take Me Up).As the youngest of the Billy's his is a refreshing presence for me at the start of the show. Jacob looks the right age and height for Billy as an 11yr old. My one point of issue would still be a little more work with dialect coach. He sometimes looses his accent during show.

We'd Go Dancing
Out of the main spotlight and in the main light watch Jacob's acting. He does a great job staying in character and in focus.

Expressing Yourself
I think Trevor might actually be a shade taller than Jacob. Trevor has changed a couple of things he does. He has had to because his voice has grown up. No more high notes for Trevor. They work better for me. Stephen D has definitely messed with the lines in the tap part. I am not sure why either. Trevor and Jacob make a good team together.(I would need some to double check me. I think they have also changed the dialogue to more match Chicago in the opening exchange as well.)

Shine/Solidarity
Ava the new BG (wow is she petite) does not look ridiculous pushing Jacob. Neither do the other BG"S. Once again I like the fact that Jacob is a less polished than the other Billy's. It makes for a nice change. The changes to his skill level as the show progress seems more dramatic this way.

BTB
Georgie does a nice job with the timing of her lines with Izzy out this last week. My one wish for this scene would be for someone to come up with a funny line to follow the(Ill show you my hoo hoo line). The(My dad was caught sh*gg*ng this t*rt at work and is now an alcoholic is cringe worthy at best. It draws very few laughs.

RBS
Phil has really got his comedic timing down pat for this scene. I like his English sense of humor. From his interaction with Donnie Kehr as Posh Dad to how he played against Stephen Hanna's Scottish Dancer and of course the Clipboard Lady. This whole scene played to laughter for the most part every show. The comedy started with him checking his hair on the mirrored surface. Then wiping his nose and pretending to get snot on his finger. With him then ending up wiping it on the mirrored wall to get it off his finger. Of course the raunchy bit with Stephen dressed as the Scottish Dancer. Phil had us rolling in the aisles with his gestures and expressions.

Electricity
Jacob grows in confidence every show that I see him. They have kept the pace and complexity at a lower level for the time being for Jacob. I would think he has a long time to grow up in the show. He draws a nice round of applause at the pose.

The Letter(Billy's Reply)
Jacob lost control of his emotions while singing and flat out started crying at the end. Leah then broke character and gave him a hug. I thought maybe it had to do with Phil leaving. I did not know til I cornered someone Tues night and asked if Leah was out. Her name was not in the Playbill it had been replaced.

Finale
A change from Chicago that I definitely like. They have encouraged the whole ensemble and the Billy's to become more vocal and happy for the Finale.
I wish for someone like Phil that they would do more than have SB bring him a bouquet at the end. This was his 3rd time around with the show. Twice in London and once here. Stephen D (sigh)was in the house although I did not know it till after.

Stage Door
Stephen Daldry came out as well as Greg Jbara from seeing the show. Michael Dameski and Seth(SB)were there for the parting as well. I went up and shook Phil's hand and said thank you when he came out.
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks for the review MF. Nice to hear that you got some extra time in New York. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your review.
:/
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

CJ-Rochester wrote:Thanks for the review MF. Nice to hear that you got some extra time in New York. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your review.
Your welcome CJ. I have edited it to add more to the review.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Great review sctwins. Than you.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

One more change that Stephen Daldry has brought back from Chicago. Margot flippin' Fonteyn" has been replaced by Anna flippin Pavlova in NY. In the Shine dialogue between Billy and Mrs.W.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thank you for that review, Cha. As you said, we don't seem to see a lot of reviews with Alex as Billy, for whatever reason. So, it's always great to read one. I love your description of Alex's portrayal as "kind of quiet and sad" and his dancing (especially in Angry Dance) as "violent". Very descriptive. I think it again brings home, that although they have essentially the same lines and blocking, each Billy does bring his own personality and talents to the role. I think it's part of what makes the show continually fresh and enjoyable.
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Post by Moby-Dick »

Thanks Musical Fanatic and sctwins for the marvelous reviews!! Goodness it's been forever since I've been on the forum. But as finals and classes are over (yayay!) I'm so happy to be back and be able to relive the magic of this amazing show through your wonderful reviews! :mrgreen:

It was esp. fun reading about Jacob and Alex's performances, as I still have yet to see them play the role of Billy. Thanks again to both of you for taking the time to write up your thoughts on the performances you saw!

x
M-D
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Great reviews sctwins. It was nice seeing you again.
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

Musical Fanatic wrote:Great reviews sctwins. It was nice seeing you again.
It is noted by this humble correspondent that Music Fanatic seems to have been at all these shows :) so much for breaking your addiction ... Just thought I would get in before you blame me again :)

Now I wonder where your reviews of all these shows are MF :)
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.

Return to “Reviews Archive”