June 2010 - Reviews - London

burtond
Michael

Re: June 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by burtond »

Muppet wrote:You are lucky, I've not seen Phil Snowden in the role as Dad!
Phil seems to be able to handle any role thrown at him. Wonder when he will be playing Billy?
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

Muppet wrote:You are lucky, I've not seen Phil Snowden in the role as Dad!
Muppet, completely amazingly coincidentally, i could end up at the same performance of BILLY BWAY as you!
x
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

?????
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Thanks Jacob for your very perceptive thoughts on Saturday night. Here are mine for what they are worth.
Billy audiences can be a very fickle entity and at times on Saturday night I despaired when there was no applause for Dad's song and the Ballet School Stage Curtain and muted responses to 'nutcracker' and 'isqueer'. How wrong though I was as evidenced not only by the full theatre standing ovation at final curtain but also what can only be described as a street riot around the Billy Bus afterwards. Camera flashes and mass cheering from exiting theatre goers and a delighted Rhys waving like royalty to the applauding throng as the bus drove off into the night.
Enough of the audience what about the show? As Jacob and others have said Rhys was on fine form throughout. This time there was a less winsome Billy replaced by a boy who was not going to be messed about. Boy can this Billy frown. :o Dad, Mrs W, the ballet girls, Debbie and Michael (Joe) all copped his aggrieved looks at times and force of his impatience.Yet however this was not an angst ridden Billy as conveyed by look and voice displaying great affection for his Gran and Mum. Rhys does this very well with his acting, so expressive face, and challenging yet engaging portrayal of Billy's life jouney.One could even forgive the little skipping rope tangles such was the power and poise of Rhy's Angry Dance and superbly performed Electricity. Having seen it happen before it always cracks me up how in 'Expressing Yourself' Rhys manages to get the dress tangled up with his blue shorts. This hotchpotch vision of clothing aptly depicts how Billy would feel and act in a situation that was so totally foreign to him.
I increasingly warm to Joe as Michael not only for his very believable acting but also his wardrobe. We have a hilarious contast between an ardent desire to try out womans clothing yet coming on wearing such saggy shorts (in the style of Simon Cowell) that clearly come from 'poundstretchers' rather than the rails of Marks and Spencer! Joe's bereft face and tear wipe when Billy departs at the end is also heartstoppingly moving.
Once again Fleur excelled. Her line delivery is always spot on. Her flirtation also drove our Billy to distraction. Watching Fleur in the ballet sequences also highlighted for me what a talented dancer she is.
A special mention must go to Daniel Page as Mr B. Very different and audience engaging as a rocker in leathers. Once again a very impressive Dad from David B.
In conclusion another excellent show appreciated by all. No wonder Rhys had such a big grin on his face in the Billy bus. :D
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Sorry computer problem. Double post
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

[
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

David, having trouble sleeping? Posting 3.05 am GMT!

Chocchipcookie - I have only seen 17 shows to date. I feel such a complete forum novice in comparison to the veterans. Are you also in New York end of October, I'm at the Imperial Oct 24th evening show, and I will go again if I don't get Michael Dameski if he is still performing there (and not in London of course)!

My boy has seen 8 shows with 7 different Billy's - he needs Dean to get a full house.

It is nice to see the main roles played by different people, especially putting their own unique interpretation on the role. I have no qualms about any of the current actors and their abilities, only to go to the show so often it is refreshing to see some changes once in a while. I do feel some actors make the role their own, I couldn't imagine Dave Nellists' George being bettered in either the boxing scene and particularly the panto scene. Could Phil Snowden play white tights man. Now where'd I leave me pasty!!

Brad x1, Fox x2, Ollie x4, Aaron x2, Tom x1, Dean x2.5, Rhys x4.45 Connor D x1, Jake x2, Joe x3, Connor K x11.

Alex
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

AJ HOLDEN wrote:David, having trouble sleeping? Posting 3.05 am GMT!

Brad x1, Fox x2, Ollie x4, Aaron x2, Tom x1, Dean x2.5, Rhys x4.45 Connor D x1, Jake x2, Joe x3, Connor K x11.

Alex
just the start of the working day for me Alex. Will finish at 11.00pm tonight after Billy!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Deanfan5 wrote:How wrong though I was as evidenced not only by the full theatre standing ovation at final curtain but also what can only be described as a street riot around the Billy Bus afterwards. Camera flashes and mass cheering from exiting theatre goers and a delighted Rhys waving like royalty to the applauding throng as the bus drove off into the night.
The only time I've seen this happen was again with Rhys. It was after his second show and it was like the red carpet at the Oscars. The people outside went berserk. Rhys loved it and, like Saturday night, waved to the crowd.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

I seem to be endlessly adding on to other postings here, apologies for that but some interesting issues raised.

Deansfan mentioned the lack of applause during dad's song and He Could be a Star as the main stage front curtain falls. I wonder if this is simply David Bardsleys' timing in that he is fairly active and fidgety and the scene appears to be getting a move on and thus the audience don't have time to react. Joe Caffrey after his solo tends to fix a stare for a long time into the stalls. Rhys and Aaron tend to grab the beer can quite quickly while Ollie and particularly Dean take an absolute age but all leave time for the applause. In the start of the audition, David Bardsley turned towards the audience a second before the curtain hit the ground while Joe Caffrey takes a few seconds before turning. I wasn't all that sure that the audience were going to clap The Stars Look Down. In my experience of musicals I can name dozens where the audience don't applaud. A good example is Blood Brothers where the only audience participation is at the end of both acts, despite some fantastic songs.

And Deansfan is right about the crowd after the show. I was kept waiting inside by my infirm guests so had the opportunity to say well done to Rhys and Joe and say hello to Aaron and Connor in relative tranquility. It was like a rugby scrum outside and all I could see was the camera flashes. Now that must make the kids feel like Royalty - I wish every crowd would do that - it makes the kids realise how much they are appreciated and admired - not just by us Billy nutters but by the general pubic probably watching their one and only BETM show and knowing they have just seen something very f****** special.

Alex

Return to “Reviews Archive”