July 2010 Reviews- NYC

angelenroute
Billy

Re: July 2010 Reviews- NYC

Post by angelenroute »

Todd wrote:I'd love to see him perform as Michael sometime - or in another show sometime in the future where he can let his comic talents shine. He let out a long, painful scream when Mrs. Wilkinson sat down on his knee in "Shine" and then later in "The Letter" when she was trying to explain what dancing was, he slowly developed a confused look on his face before saying, "What?" When he pulled out the Star Trek magazine and Mrs. Wilkinson said, "Star Trek annual," he got this confident look on his face and answered with a bit of swagger, "Yeah!" as if to say, "Duh ! Who wouldn't think this was cool?" It got a bigger laugh from the audience than I've ever heard that line get before.
Todd, thank you for your wonderful reviews this week!!! Your descriptions of Michael Dameski were great and since I haven't seen him since March either, it sounds like he's even more comfortable with some lines than he was before. And I agree, he's amazing! Thanks again for taking the time to write all this, I enjoyed reading every word!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Sunday, July 25th, 2010 at 2 PM

BILLY: Michael Dameski
MICHAEL: Jake Evan Schwencke
DAD: Joel Hatch
GRANDMA: Merle Louise
GEORGE: Eric Gunhus
BIG DAVEY: David Koch

A couple of friends were going to be attending yesterday's show but had previously bought two extra tickets, figuring they'd find someone to buy them. I tried to help them find buyers last Wednesday but within 24 hours it became clear I'd be going too as a good friend of mine decided he'd finally see the show with me after years of hearing me talk it up. Darren and I had seen the movie together when it was out in theaters 10 years ago, and like my friend Christian from Germany, he enjoyed referencing many of the movie's lines with me over the past decade. So once again, things came full circle.

I got into Penn Station early and walked 44 blocks to 77th and Columbus for brunch at dovetail, a swanky upper west side restaurant with a really nice 3-course brunch for $32. Pricey, but the cuisine was extra special and even though mostly small bits here and there of many different things, it was very filling and very nice. I was in shorts and a polo shirt and didn't feel out of place [on such a hot day] despite the fancy schmancy decor. http://www.dovetailnyc.com

Though it's good news for the future, it was bad news for us on Sunday afternoon: We had the worst audience in the history of theatre.

Okay, okay, I'm exaggerating a bit. But trust me, they were bad. Talking during the show, not taking their seats in time both before the show began and at start of Act 2, candy wrappers being unwrapped for at least 3 times the "normal" amount of time, a cell phone going off not once but twice, during generally quiet points of the show, a general lackluster laughter and applause ratio--it was bad. At stage door another Forum member and I were discussing this and I said loud enough for 10-20 people nearby to hear me: "People should be ashamed of themselves making that much noise during a show." It probably fell on the wrong ears as the noisemakers aren't usually the same as the stage door fans. =) Oh and despite my annoyances at the kid behind me who whispered questions to his parents during every scene, my friend Darren, an English teacher in Connecticut, reminded my annoyed brain to "calm yourself down son" when he laughed that at least the kid was asking all the right questions.

Darren wrote me last night about the show, mentioning among other things the sets. He "really liked the way it breathed, coming in and out as necessary." I think that's a beautiful way of putting it. They really are organic and alive. He was also happy that the cursing wasn't curbed for the stage: "They didn't soften the language just to attract a larger audience. One of the greatest respects I have for the movie is that even though the language is the only thing that earned it an R-rating, they accepted it even though it limited their box office." Amen brother.

One of two new cast members I enjoyed seeing was Ben Cook as Tall Boy. Nothing spectacularly different about his portrayal (it's not a role that should be noticed TOO much), but for a new Tall Boy, he plays it very well, turning in a solid performance and makes you think he has been doing it for a year already. I hear he's going to be Michael soon, and that's always exciting. I really like that a new Michael can get experience on stage--and in this show in particular--as Tall Boy. It puts you right in the action without pouring on all of the responsibility of such a big role right away. The other new cast member was the Small Boy, Alex Dreier. He was announced as Small Boy just before the show started and I swear to God it felt like they had taken a tiny little kid out of the audience, threw an 80s vest jacket on him and told him what to do. "Just stare out at the audience until the movie starts, then sit down and wait til the screen goes up before walking in. We'll explain the rest later." He looked like he had no idea what he was doing there, but it made him even cuter. He looked like he was no more than 4 years old although he must be older. Right? =) But he did a great job!

As for the show itself, well, you can't really go wrong, can you? I was disappointed that Greg wasn't in and that Joel was in as Dad, but NOT because I didn't think Joel would be good, rather because I knew that meant Joel wouldn't be in as George, Eric would be in the George spot (he was great) and Big Davey would be someone else, etc. When you expect a familiar rhythm and it's shaken up, you recognize every different nuance. Still, like Steve Martin in the movie Parenthood, I decided to appreciate this little roller coaster for all it would give me, and it was of course just fine. =)

But let me give Joel Hatch his due. He's wonderful as Dad! I had 100% complete trust that he would do well in it, not just because I had heard of at least one other time when he performed the role but also because, c'mon, he's Joel Hatch. This guy is just ten times awesome in my book and I wish I saw him more often at stage door to tell him so. Joel's "Dad" is much softer than other performers I've seen in the role. He's strong but gentle, as if the tough guy personality Dad shows is an act and not a comfortable persona. And I really enjoyed it.

Now my friend Darren is a very tough critic. He knows what he likes and what he expects, and is very firm in his opinions. Before the show he pointed to Jeff Kready's photo in the Playbill and said, "He plays Tony? Seriously? He looks 30." Now Darren is 33 and I'm 35 so he wasn't being ageist but was instead worried he couldn't pull off a closer-to-20-year-old. He wanted to see how these two performers (Joel and Jeff) performed as Dad and Tony. And thankfully, he enjoyed them. In his words, "Both the dad and the brother were faithful to the movie representations of their roles, which is what I hoped would happen." Another note about Jeff Kready: The strong lights of the Broadway stage have not been kind in the past to the top of his head, which often ages him beyond Tony's years. But yesterday I didn't notice the same effect, so I'm not sure if something changed there or what. =)

More on Joel: His singing is soft and beautiful, his command of the stage is exact and shows his seasoned experience, and he has very good comic timing, especially as exhibited in the audition scenes. When looking into the mirror, Greg notices his fly is open. Philip has trouble getting rid of some nose snot. And Joel touches the mirror, leaves a smudge and then nervously tries to remove it quick. You'd think this wouldn't get more than a chuckle but despite the horrible audience, they all laughed really loudly at this. It was very cute. I think this says a lot about Joel as "Dad" overall: he's got a really debonair, old-school stage actor look about him, charming and tender. You believe 100% that he's a miner, but are likewise 100% delighted to see him finally let his said-obvious guard down to support Billy. When Scottish Dancer offers him a cigarette, Joel says with a tenor pitch, "Oh, thank you very much," then clears his throat and goes a little deeper, "Thank you very much." It was very funny!

Kate Hennig. I adore her. But I didn't always completely adore her the way I do now. The first time I saw her, I enjoyed her comic take on the role in many ways but thought she might be over-doing it. But by the second time I saw her, I loved it. It's different and that's what's so lovely about the part of Mrs. Wilkinson. You can have the same exact role played to so many varying degrees of emotion, whether sad or funny. So when I got my friend's review and he said what he said about Kate's portrayal, I was at first dismayed and then quickly reminded of my own first impression. An interesting caveat to his review though is the reminder that he had only heard Haydn's version on the recording just a couple of days ago and then saw Kate's version after expecting Haydn's.

What I find SO remarkable about Kate is she looks and acts sooooo different from her role when you meet her at Stage Door. She is in real life the epitome of class and grace, beautiful and SO intelligent. Nothing personal, Mrs W! =) She's someone else who I really owe a lot more praise to in person. Last time I saw her--July 2nd after Liam's show--I praised Liam to her, but didn't say a word about how much I loved her! Oh well. I'll have to make up for that soon!

I've come all this way and not told you about Michael Dameski. Shame on me!!! Michael is just wonderful. As I've said before, he plays it angrier than I prefer, but I follow that up right away with how amazing a dancer he is. His angry dance is just off the hook. He screams so much, you feel like the creative team is backstage constantly worrying he'll lose his voice! You literally hear his voice cracking with excitement and anger and sadness all balled up into one. It's just so loud and so cool to experience. He leaves nothing--NOTHING--backstage but instead pours himself absolutely completely into those minutes on stage. The crowd of course loved it and watched in awe as the lights came up and Michael slowwwwwwwwly stood up, glaring angrily and brushing himself off with attitude as he walks off stage, then looks back at you in anger one last time before leaving the stage just to tell you "we're not finished yet, you and me." It's just WOW. (A testament to the impact it gives you is that I had to stop after typing that WOW to dry my eyes and blow my nose.) He's just something special.

In the Letter Scene, he gets quite sad which is a powerful contrast to the tougher portrayal he's given so far in the show. But he saves more tears for later. Will get to that in a moment.

Born To Boogie. Can I just make sure to tell those reading who haven't seen the Broadway show in a while something you may not realize? Thommie Retter, who has always been GREAT, just keeps getting better and better every single time!!! It's just mind boggling! He's so freakin' good!!! My favorite newish addition (over the past few months) has been this sideways Moonwalk type move. It doesn't even seem possible, that's how good it is. =) At dinner after the show, one of my friends was showing Thommie shots he took at stage door and Thommie was asking and hoping he had shots from the show itself. :D "I wanna see shots of me! When I do that leg on the piano, that's a big moment for me!" I love Thommie. He and I are soooooo different that I doubt we'd ever be friends lol but he's a great guy and so funny and fun to hang with.

Have to backtrack for a moment to Express. Michael Dameski and Jake Evan Schwencke were awesome together. Michael Dameski plays Billy so different from the Michael role that it makes for a very funny combination. And both of them sang very well and clearly, which I wish I could say every time. The lines at the end of the song were crisp and clear too, which I was happy about. Jake is just wonderful as Michael and it's a real hoot watching him perform. As I've said on his Facebook page and here previously, no one says the line, "Do you get to wear a tutu" so seriously. It's hilarious! He says it like all of the Earth has stopped moving and he is so interested in the answer. It's great.

Fast forward again...

Electricity. Michael Dameski is just great with this. He does those no-hands flips and shows off his "acro" skills as he says. =) I smile every time he says that, because I just LOVE how the British and Australians shorten everything. :D It is really fun watching him perform it because you just know he's going to do great. When he finished, the crowd cheered loudly but only a handful of us stood. I said out loud as I stood (something I never do, talk during a show): "He nailed it!" He really did. I don't understand how people don't stand but I think it's just because they don't think they can. All I know is, when you see a kid do what these boys do, how can you not want to show them how great they are in that moment?!

And then came the goodbyes, culminating in Billy's goodbye to Michael. I sat in Row M in Left Orchestra, the third seat off the aisle, so let me recreate the moment for you briefly...

An already sad looking Michael Dameski walks up the aisle and stops a few feet away from me in the spotlight when he hears "Oi! Dancin' boy!" He smiles to himself sweetly in a private moment before turning back to go up on stage and say good-bye. The music builds and he leans in and kisses his friend's cheek. "See ya Michael," he says sadly. And likewise, "See ya Billy". And as Michael Dameski walks toward you, you see he's crying real tears and you can't help but lose it too. The music grows louder and the curtain comes down slowly. What a moment. (Sean grabs his tissue box again.)

Out on the sidewalk we met up with Thommie Retter and walked over to Schnipper's for dinner before he and some others went back for the evening show. Also there at other tables were a bunch of the ballet girls, new Tall Boy Ben Cook, and the Schwenckemeister himself, Jake Evan Schwencke. A Schwencke in Schnipper's. Say that 5 times fast! ;)

It was a long and wonderful day, and since one of our fellow Billy fans lives in the same town as I do on Long Island, I got a surprise ride home after dinner too. What a charmed life, I love it!

Thanks for reading if you did, or skimming if you just did that. =) Hope to see you again soon, Imp.

Hmm. Maybe I should leave the word-shortening to the Aussies and Brits.

Sean ;)

Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Sean
The new SB is Alex Dreier I believe. He replaced Luke who has left the show. I love your long personal reviews :D . I am home for the rest of the summer and miss the show :lol: already.

Sam
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Excellent review, as always, Sean.

I'd be interested in hearing if your friend, Darren, liked the show enough to indicate he'd be interested in seeing it again?
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Musical Fanatic wrote:Sean
The new SB is Alex Dreier I believe. He replaced Luke who has left the show. I love your long personal reviews :D . I am home for the rest of the summer and miss the show :lol: already.

Sam
Thank you Sam, BEcrazy on Friends Of Billy confirmed that too since he's new. Take a break from the show so that you appreciate it that much more when you are back! =)

angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

porschesrule wrote:Excellent review, as always, Sean.

I'd be interested in hearing if your friend, Darren, liked the show enough to indicate he'd be interested in seeing it again?
Good question porschesrule, and one I purposely avoided answering in my review haha. Actually he listed his pros and cons but I think he would see it again. He's not a theatre guy AT ALL mind you, but here's the answer (from his private e-mail to me):

"First of all, I must say I really did enjoy the show. Of the ones I've seen (Tommy, Rent, La Boheme, Avenue Q, Lion King, Christmas Carol, Spamalot, and maybe others I'm forgetting), this one was the most enjoyable since Tommy. (I'm sure if I saw the two side-by-side objectively, my inclusion of Tommy as a good show would be a joke, but I was sixteen years old, loving The Who, and experiencing one of my first days in the city....so circumstances give that one the edge."

So for him, this was a VERY GOOD review! :D

Sean

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

angelenroute wrote:Good question porschesrule, and one I purposely avoided answering in my review haha. Actually he listed his pros and cons but I think he would see it again.
So your BETM fan recruitment record remains perfect. Great job! :lol:
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Enjoyed your detailed review, Sean ! Glad to hear you liked Joel Hatch as Dad. A friend of mine and her son are seeing the show for the first time this coming Thursday, and I was sorry they weren't going to see Greg Jbara (who's on vacation this week). So glad to hear that Joel filled in admirably !

Amazing how Michael Dameski - and a number of other Billys over the years - are able to turn on the tears like they do. Seems I read somewhere that Michael said, "I just think of something sad when I'm trying to cry on stage." Makes it sound easy ! Just another of those things that makes you realize how talented these kids are.
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

angelenroute wrote:Sunday, July 25th, 2010 at 2 PM

Thanks for reading if you did, or skimming if you just did that. =)

Sean ;)
The more detail the better as far as this fan from far away is concerned ( and I am sure the remaining family members of the Aussie Billy's who are back in Australia) .

Thank you for such a detailed review.
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Todd wrote:Enjoyed your detailed review, Sean ! Glad to hear you liked Joel Hatch as Dad. A friend of mine and her son are seeing the show for the first time this coming Thursday, and I was sorry they weren't going to see Greg Jbara (who's on vacation this week). So glad to hear that Joel filled in admirably !
Absolutely, Todd. Joel does a wonderful job and the other stars who move up to take over each other's parts in Joel's absence do great as well. A seasoned Billy fan will recognize differences but new fans especially will be delighted and appreciate it all, so no worries for your friends. =)

Sean

Return to “Reviews Archive”