BILLY YOUTH THEATRE-WEST END GALA

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BILLY YOUTH THEATRE-WEST END GALA

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks for the review, Den. Sounds like a wonderful theatre experience.

As I've said in the thread about Lee Hall creating the idea of Billy Elliot Youth Theatre, he and the rest of the BETM creative staff involved in this brilliant idea are to be commended. It was a stroke of genius, in my opinion, as it accomplished a win/win. The youth of the UK (and their families and friends) were exposed to this wonderful show and had a vehicle to "Express Themselves" and showcase their talent. Meanwhile, BETM got a ton of priceless publicity and the satisfaction of giving something back to the community that has supported BETM for over five years in London. And, who knows? Maybe a side benefit for the show is the discovery of talent that the professional show may be able to use in the future.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for the review, Den. It sounds as though the show was a rousing success. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

Some further thoughts on last night. I found it very moving that so many Youth theatres had contributed to the evening (14). And these had been chosen via regional Showcases from an initial 115 Groups . The programme (available free of charge) listed all the performers and at a guess I would say that there must have been over 200 in all. What a task that must have been backstage to get each Billy in on cue and each set of Ballet Girls etc. A lot of the props used belonged to the respective Youth theatres. Many of these like the miners' shields for Angry Dance had to be shipped out of the Stage Door during the interval. The musical score was different of course and so Chris Hatt must be praised for accomplishing an amazing feat. So too, Nick Evans for liasing with absolutely everyone in each of the 14 Groups. Each had their own Creative team!
Not all the casts were miked up and so four directional mikes were fitted to the front of the stage to pick up dialogue. To achieve the full (modified) Show with finale and then to add an extra finale was little short of miraculous. It was great to see Barnaby and many of the permanent adult cast in the audience along with the Billy House people. This added to the sense of occasion. At the very end of the night both Stephen and Lee spoke with emotion to thank everyone involved and representatives of each Youth Theatre were presented with 'medals' to commemorate the occasion. The 'medal' looked more like a glass star to me!
Thanks were given to Holiday Inns for their support of the Billy Youth Theatre. The prologue to the evening was brilliant too. The four permanent Billys each introducing themselves and then in turn talking about the spirit of Billy Elliot the Musical. Their lines were split between the four boys and delivered with perfect timing.
There was a camera filming the performances from the front of the Dress Circle. Hopefully a DVD will be made available at least to the Youth theatres. Apparently there was a waiting list of 400 names for tickets for the Gala!
Sorry that these are such random thoughts..................it was an emotional night. :!:
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Den and Jacob for your thoughts on last night's performance.

It sounds like it was a unique experience and one that the performers and their family and friends will never forget.

Congratulations to everybody that was involved in organising what must have been a monumental undertaking.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Billy Youth Theatre Gala

Around 340 young people from the length and breadth of the UK on the West End stage on a Sunday night.

Queues of excited parents and children, unlike anything the VPT has seem for a long time, stretching right around the block before the show.

Rapturous applause, screaming, cheering, whistling, shouting and exclamations of praise from the sell out audience echoing around the auditorium throughout the whole evening. A deafening sound, but electric atmosphere from start to finish.

Our four regular VPT Billy’s (one might be forgiven for thinking they could all be brothers – the uncanny likeness!!) introduced the evening extremely confidently and in their natural accents!

A small boy walks down the centre aisle in traditional fashion, there’s no Pathe news clip, but instead, he humourously raises the VPT stage curtain, the stage is filled with a huge cast from ‘City Youth theatre company’ Brighton who delivered a powerful and emotive performance of ‘Stars Looked Down’. Wow! I had a tear in my eye and it had only just begun!

Canon Slade school who I had enjoyed at the Lowry showcase did the breakfast scene and I was disappointed when the facially expressive Tom (Billy) and Alex (Grandma) had to pass the baton on so soon as they were, as I have previously mentioned, one of the two strongest groups in the North-west showcase.
For this reason, I was a bit disappointed with some of the production teams choices when allocating acts to groups. Overall, I felt the Lowry showcase had some much stronger performances and it was a shame we didn’t see them represented here. Especially the ‘Clifton Academy’ from Lytham who were leaps ahead of one or two of these groups. As I stated in another thread, I was not at all in favour of a female ‘Billy’ (you wouldn’t have a male orphan Annie!) and the ‘Letter scene’ was a little disappointing for me for this reason. Nothing against the young actress who played the role, just a strange casting decision from the Scottish group. However, their Dead Mum & Mrs Wilkinson had voices which blended beautifully.

Lewis Smith from the ‘Polka Dot Academy’ was an extremely confident and entertaining ‘Michael’ in ‘Expressing Yourself’ and his friend Billy (Luke) was clearly enjoying himself too . The dancing dresses (gaudy Pantomime dame style outfits) were a little scary, but amusing!

The cast of Darlington Stagecoach seemed to have the youngest looking ballet girls and their funky moves in ‘Born to Boogie’ were therefore a credit to the team. I was a bit worried with the standard of their Billy’s dancing at ‘Elementary’ level, but thankfully it significantly improved as he progressed through ‘Intermediate’ and for the first time we witnessed a Billy with visible dance talent.

A different interpretation of ‘Angry Dance’ was the treat to end the first Act. With strobe lighting, Ryan (Billy) screamed, shouted and tapped his frustrations within the confines of a moveable cage like structure, surrounded by police armed with riot shields. Well done to Sandbach School theatre.

It was the residents of Gillingham who were the victims of Santa George and Elf Tony at the beginning of Act 2. A confident duo who got plenty of laughs.

Swan Lake was beautifully performed by Luke & Charlie from Polka Dot academy. A quality choreographed interpretation.

More adaptations to script came from ‘Coombeshead College & King Edward VI College’ in the London RBS auditions. Some very funny moments from their posh dad (Kieron), posh boy (Luke) and a wonderfully flirty clipboard woman (Lilly). The ballet dancer (James) who shocked Billy’s dad with his somewhat oddly shaped and clearly ‘enlarged’ size ‘package’ was a brave young man!

The lucky little lad who got the chance to do ‘Electricity’ was Alex from ‘Ariel Young actors’, West Sussex. He had a great singing voice (very powerful!) and treated us to a credible dance routine - predominantly street, but with elements of ballet infused. Never have I heard such a loud, enthusiastic response to an act at the VPT, not even at a Billy’s last night! I don’t suppose he is going to forget that moment in a hurry!

A welcome return to the stage for Canon Slade who did an excellent ‘post’ scene. Grandma tried every trick in the book to get that letter, but to no avail - and it was definitely a fresh interpretation.

Warrington based ‘Cody’s productions’ delivered a powerful rendition of ‘Once We Were kings’. Their ‘Tony’ and ‘Dad’ being a convincing duo.

After their long awaited moment to get on stage, ‘STP musicals’ rounded off the evening with a ‘Finale’ not too far from what we have come to expect, see and enjoy so regularly.

Daldry, accompanied by a choked and emotional Lee Hall gave their thanks to the many groups and individuals who made the event happen.

The exits opened and the groups entered the aisles of the Stalls and Dress circle from every direction, filling and cramming to capacity with all the young people who had performed that night.

After their speech and presentation of trophies to all participating groups, the curtains re-opened to the sight of young ‘Alex’ again reprising his vocal performance of ‘Electricity’, joined part way through on each side by the VPT Billy’s, and for the final few bars by all the other ‘Billy’s’, creating a spectacular scene, with Billy’s standing all around on chairs, etc. The 340 strong cast joined in and it all climaxed with canons exploding and releasing a huge cloud of confetti, smothering the auditorium.

Nice to see so many faces of BETM cast, crew and production team in the audience who had taken the time to come and give their support and encouragement to these young performers. Perhaps we may see some new adaptions to, or interpretations of script on the VPT again in the future?? I wonder whether Daldry and team have spotted anything or anybody they would like to use again?!

There were definitely one or two who I believe had the raw talent which in different hands might be shaped into something more polished and worthy of the professional stage.

Oh, and I don’t think the script suffered for the toned down language too. Maybe that should be a consideration?

I hope so!
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Fantastic review Muppet.

Interesting that one of the Billy's was played by a girl. I don't know if that would go down well with the traditionalists at the General Billy Synod re the ordination of females. Just as well she didn't do the Express scene as it wouldn't be so funny dressing up in womans' clothing.

Alex
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Thank you for the reviewers above in helping to relive a truly fantastic night to remember. Those of us lucky enough to have got tickets (400 people evidently on the waiting list) experienced the tremendous excitement of something completely unique. It was a really nice touch having the four regular Billys on stage to introduce proceedings - and I agree, they could almost have passed as quadruplets! They were also the first on their feet to give a rousing ovation to the lad who did 'Electricity'. Then the extra finale in which they appeared together followed by the canon and the ticker-tape concluded a highly brilliant experience. The very fact that so many young people have been intimately involved with this show from north to south, east to west, reveals the cultus nature of a story of courage, determination, and overcoming adversity which can give confidence to, and inspire anyone - young or old.
Meagan312
Ballet Girl

Post by Meagan312 »

Ahhh sounds great :D
Aus
22.03.09 - Michael.Joel.Isabelle
14.06.09- Josh D.Landen.Nina
UK
2.10.09 - Brad.Connor D.Francesca

It's like that there's a music playing in your ear, and I'm listening and I'm listening, and then I dissapear
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

I wonder if there have been any press reports?
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Nothing has turned up on google alerts yet, but I hope there will be some.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews Archive”