August 2010 Reviews - NYC

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

August 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by Billy Whiz »

A place for August's reviews. Keep 'em coming.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
angelenroute
Billy

Re: August 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by angelenroute »

Friday, August 6th, 2010.

BILLY: Jacob Clemente
MICHAEL: David Bologna

I had bought tickets for my friend Trevor and his boyfriend to see the show while they were visiting from Pittsburgh, and then this past week my niece and I were talking about plans for her 30th birthday which was yesterday. She waited until the last minute to plan anything, and couldn't think of anything special to do for her birthday. Apparently she looked into tickets for Wicked, but couldn't find anything that wasn't ridiculously priced. Say what you want about how great Wicked is, but if the masses can't get tickets, I'm happy they can find a way to see Billy instead! After speaking with my sister (my niece's mom) who told me she'd buy tickets for my niece and her to see Billy Elliot, I went back to Telecharge and found 2 more seats in the same aisle as us right next to us that were still available. So it was 5 of us for the show Friday night. My walking-distance neighbor and friend from Friends Of Billy was also in attendance.

Strange as it may seem, I got to my seat realizing I had no idea who was on as Billy! How did I not look on the board?! I must have been so excited that my friends and family were seeing the show with me--an extra special night because this was the FIRST time that ANYONE from my family has gone to see the show! I'm fully expecting them to all go now once my sister and niece report back. ;)

Sooooo, I opened my Playbill and saw Jacob Clemente was on as Billy. I love all of the boys' embodiments of the role, so I wasn't worried at all about who would play Billy. I was almost surprised it wasn't Liam though who seemed to be trying to break a record for most performances in a week!!! =)

And we were also blessed with that show business god himself, David Bologna. It is with absolute certainty that I tell everyone he WILL be back on Broadway soon enough. David Bologna is a Joel Grey, a Ben Vereen and a Nathan Lane all in one. And though I'm slightly sad he's leaving, I feel like he has been blessed with two awesome runs in this show already and I am SO EXCITED to see him in another role now, somewhere, anywhere soon/soon enough.

Just a couple minutes before the show began, a young girl, maybe 15 sat down next to me with her father in the last seat on the wall (we were in rear mezz row G). I heard her telling her father she had seen "Michael once and Dayton once". "Ohh," I interrupted, "I'm glad I have another veteran sitting next to me!" She was very sweet and her dad was very nice too, and this was his first time seeing the show. I assured them both that they'd really enjoy Jacob. "They're all awesome."

The show was uneventful as far as I could tell, with a few minor hiccups: 1) C.K. Edwards' baton tried to run away from him during Solidarity, but he was able to retrieve it and get back in his seat for the hats passing to happen without issue. 2) Billy's bathrobe stayed on the stage after the bed set sank back down before The Letter, so Kate picked it up and casually tossed it off set as she said her lines before walking over to Billy to take the letter from him. 3) The sound seemed to hum slightly at two different points in the show but didn't last long and thankfully no mics went out. But the show itself was great, everyone doing a wonderful job.

Jacob is a great Billy, very sweet and so young, so believable for the role. His timing isn't perfect for the end of Solidarity and the end of Electricity but he makes up for it by lifting his head and arms at the cue of the end note, which always works well and the audience enjoys. David Alvarez used to do the same thing. I guess the perfect way to do it would be to time everything exactly to the final notes, possibly even adding another instrument to the end to make it easier for the boys to know when to stop, but since they do quite ridiculously well for themselves, I prefer to not complain haha. When I saw him the first time (this was my second time seeing him), his Letter scene made me cry more than I've ever cried before, which is saying a lot. Though I cried more from Row C in Orchestra than I did Friday night in Rear Mezz, he still touched me deeply with his sad rendition. Again, his youth makes him a very sweet Billy.

Debbie (Georgi James) did so much better Friday night than the previous times I'd seen her perform. Her timing is spot on now and I'm so happy for her. She had always done well with just a few small timing issues, but I think she has since been coached on those and she does great now.

My sister Laurie, though just 50 as of this past January, became a grandmother last year, and I could tell she loved Carole Shelly and her song. Everyone did of course, and I was happy to see her back after her vacation (I always miss her when she's not in).

And of course I loved seeing Greg back too. He and Joel are perfect in their roles and though Joel did a fantastic job as Dad when Greg was out recently, I am a big fan of Greg Jbara and the way he completely embodies the role so well. He is an awesome actor and a great guy!

Thommie Retter was, as always, brilliant, and I loved hearing the giggles from my friends and family during his number. He is a true dance genius and a complete pleasure to watch perform!

My niece loved the show too although she was upset to not see the pride of Dad at the end like how the movie ends. I explained that it's hard to capture that kind of thing in just a moment to end a show, especially since we were in row G of Rear Mezz lol. She had only just seen the movie by herself the day before, so I think she was expecting too much of a direct parallel.

Not much else to report, but that's not a bad thing. My family and friends all enjoyed the show very much and for good reason: It was a solid job turned in by all! Their photograph taking and autograph getting time at stage door proved to me that my guests enjoyed the show very much! =)

Tessa, we missed you, hope your back feels better soon! (I know she won't read that but I send it spiritually to her anyway haha.)

Sorry for keeping this short, but I think that's pretty much all I wanted to share. "Thanks very much" for your time and attention.

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for the review, Sean. Glad that everyone enjoyed the show.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Nice review Sean. Keep on writing them no matter the word count :D
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

angelenroute wrote: My niece loved the show too although she was upset to not see the pride of Dad at the end like how the movie ends. I explained that it's hard to capture that kind of thing in just a moment to end a show, especially since we were in row G of Rear Mezz lol. She had only just seen the movie by herself the day before, so I think she was expecting too much of a direct parallel.
I suppose one could say - at least when Greg Jbara portrays Dad - that his pride is shown at the end of "Electricity." After Billy has run off stage, Dad is left by himself and gestures back towards where Billy was and says, "Yeah !" as if to say, "That's my boy !" I haven't seen any other actor do that when portraying Dad, as they usually have more of a blank or confused look after Billy runs off. So Greg does play it quite differently.

For me, I've always kind of felt that the moment where the audience definitely sees Dad's pride and love for Billy is in "Once We Were Kings" when Billy runs up and jumps into his arms and they embrace. At this moment, any doubt about their love for one another is cleared up. It's always been one of my favorite parts in the show and one of the most emotional - especially at a Billy's final performance.
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

Todd wrote:
angelenroute wrote: I suppose one could say - at least when Greg Jbara portrays Dad - that his pride is shown at the end of "Electricity." After Billy has run off stage, Dad is left by himself and gestures back towards where Billy was and says, "Yeah !" as if to say, "That's my boy !" I haven't seen any other actor do that when portraying Dad, as they usually have more of a blank or confused look after Billy runs off. So Greg does play it quite differently.
Richard Piper in Sydney and Melbourne always teared up at this point. When he and Michael Dameski did the double tearful ending which Michael has reproduced a few times in NY (but it takes up time) it was a real tear jerker for the audience.
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

BillyAddict wrote: he and Michael Dameski did the double tearful ending which Michael has reproduced a few times in NY (but it takes up time)
By the "double tearful ending" do you mean that they both teared up at this point in the show ? Please explain this a bit more, as it sounds like an interesting way of playing the scene and I was curious as to how it takes up time.
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

Todd wrote:
BillyAddict wrote: he and Michael Dameski did the double tearful ending which Michael has reproduced a few times in NY (but it takes up time)
By the "double tearful ending" do you mean that they both teared up at this point in the show ? Please explain this a bit more, as it sounds like an interesting way of playing the scene and I was curious as to how it takes up time.
Yes they both teared up. Richard would punch the air and show his emotions about the talent his son has just revealed. Michael would respond by tearing up in the final pose, conveying his emotions at finally showing dad his true talent.

Michael has done this a few times in NY. It makes for a most brilliant ending to Electricity.
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
bandaide2012
Audience Member

Post by bandaide2012 »

August 12, 2010
Billy: Alex Ko
Michael: Gabriel Rush

I was so excited to see Billy Elliot for my 8th time this past week, and only my 2nd time in NYC. We ended up having 3rd row seats on the house right side and it was incredible to be so close. Alex was such a wonderful Billy. His look and personality added heart and sweetness to the character. I was so impressed with his dancing, especially at the end of Born to Boogie when instead of the piano flip, he basically did a spin I have only ever seen done on iceskates. His dream ballet was gorgeous and he was truly such a talent. I had seen Gabe before in Chicago and feel that he just keeps getting better. He is making the character of Michael his own and seems to be having a lot of fun on stage. Definitely a huge improvement from when I first saw him at Chicago's first preview.

It was very interesting for me to see BE in NYC again (it had been a year since I saw it there last), and after seeing it 6 times in Chicago. There really are many differences between the productions and they are both fantastic. I wish that NYC had Billy wear Dad's mining hat in Once We Were Kings and then shine the light on dad's face. But then I wish that Chicago had the technology that NYC has, such as the lowering of the miners and having the house set come from under the stage. Regardless of the minor differences, both productions are phenomenal and I am thrilled to have had the opportunity to see it again in NYC with a new Billy for me.

Now I think I am going to go again in Chicago this Wednesday to finally see JP and Dillon! :)
NYC:
Billy- Tommy, Alex
Michael- David B., Gabe
Chicago:
Billy- Tommy x3, Giuseppe x3 Cesar x2, JP 2x, Marcus
Michael- Keean x7, Gabe x2, Dillon 2x
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

I enjoyed reading your review, bandaide2012, especially your comparisons between the NY and Chicago versions. It was also very interesting to me to read your comments about Gabe. You have a unique perspective, having seen him so recently in Chicago and now in New York.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Reviews Archive”