August 2010 Reviews - NYC

Hesychius
Tall Boy

Re: August 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by Hesychius »

johnnyc wrote:
Hesychius wrote:
At least, I decided to come back to see Michael's last Broadway performance - and today arranged everything so that I will be back in New York from 3rd to 6th September. I certainly hope to see some forum members then!
You will definitely see some of us then. By the way, you can see where some of us will be sitting for a particular performance at:

http://www.smallmomentsofgrace.com/seat ... insert.php

Be sure to add yourself to the chart if you know your seat locations for the BETM performances you plan to attend.
Thanks for that suggestion, johnnyc!
I added myself to the seating chart - didn't know that it existed...
London: Fox - 6; Tom - 4.5; Dean - 10; Ollie - 7.5; Rhys - 7; Aaron - 3; Scott - 1
New York: Jacob - 3; Dayton - 1; Michael - 2; Liam - 1; Peter - 1; Alex - 1
Charlotte: Daniel - 1; Michael - 1

50 inspiring shows
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

Friday 27th August

Billy - Michael Dameski
Michael - Neil McCaffrey
Small Boy - Alex Dreier

Straight to the theatre after a 24 hour flight from Australia may not have had me in the best of physical conditions for my first NY show of this Billython but the energy that Michael exudes sure helped me get through the whole show without the embarrassment of cat napping during the performance.

Neil is settling in very well as Michael. Sure no one in the audience suspected he was so new to the role. Received good applause at the end of Expressing Yourself. As with all the different Michael's I have now seen Neil brings his own individual touches to the performance.

Michael's third last NY show was a great way to start my NY visit. Michael's singing is still stunning and as usual his acting and dancing were superb. If you plan to catch Michael on the tour you are in for a special treat!

It was interesting to me how many minor changes had occurred since March. Nothing major but a combination of a lot of small things.

My first time seeing Greg perform the role of Dad (Phil was on in March). Not what I was expecting. I found Greg's dad to be far angrier than what I had been led to believe. When I asked someone about this their opinion was that he had changed his performance from the early days. That said I like his dad !

Saturday 28th August - Matinee

Billy - Dayton Tavares
Michael - Neil McCaffrey
Small Boy - Alex Dreier
Mrs Wilkinson - Liz Pearce
Mr Braithwaite - Eric Gunhus

Two shows two Aussies !!!! Now if your an Australian fan you could not plan that better!

The hand out said Gabriel Rush was to play Michael but it was Neil who did the performance.

Dayton had the whole audience around me in tears. The gentleman sitting next to be was sobbing away uncontrollably at times. At the end of Angry Dance he looked at his wife and just said "Wow"

Love listening to the audience reaction. It is Dayton's ability since arriving in NY to take his emotional acting all the way that has totally placed his Billy into the top level of Billy performances. Brilliant dancing and acting and Dayton still has a voice that like Michael's is not lowering too much yet.

Liz Pearce's Mrs Wilkinson was excellent. Energetic and for me very much the way I like to see the role performed.

Slight malfunction of the back wall during shadow dance but this did not effect the performance. Dayton danced on and then moved into the Grandma song whilst the set was moved out of the way.

Saturday 28th August - Evening

Billy - Alex Ko
Michael - Neil McCaffrey
Small Boy - Seth Fromowitz
Mr Braithwaite - Eric Gunhus

Three shows in a row for Neil. I must almost already be the fan who has seen him perform the most :)

A lovely performance by Alex. Beautiful dancing and good acting skills. All Alex's performance lacks compared to Michael's and Dayton's was the ability to bring on real tears, never the less he acted out a a very moving letter and letter reprieve.

Today (Sunday) I expect two different Billy's Peter's first show and then Liam's last. What a day this will be for a fan of BETM. The two extremes on the one day. I have not in my 154 shows experienced this on the same day before!
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks for a great set of reviews, BillyAddict. You're sure getting a variety of Billys to entertain you already on this trip!
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

Interval Sunday and Peter has made a very impressive debut.
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

Sunday 29th Matinee

Billy - Peter Mazurowski (Debut)
Michael - Gabriel Rush
Small Boy - Seth Fromowitz

A wonderful debut for Peter. An announcement was made before the show by the resident choreographer that Peter would be making his debut.

No signs of nerves and I am sure if no announcement had not been made then no one would have guessed it was Peter's first!

Peter is a very strong dancer with great speed. His acting was good. His singing was fine but it is not at this point his greatest strength.

Special compliment to Peter for his Letter and Letter Reprise. Real tears always make this scene for me and Peter produced real tears!

Nice to see Gabe as Michael, I was impressed by him in Chicago back in March.

Part one of a very unique day. A first show and now for a last.
167 Performances!

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Wow thanks for the prompt review BA! This is probably the shortest time I have seen between when a performance finishes and a review is posted. :lol: Great to hear about Peter's debut. It sounds like another excellent Billy is born. :D
:/
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

CJ-Rochester wrote:Great to hear about Peter's debut. It sounds like another excellent Billy is born.
While I agree that it's great to hear about Peter's debut, I would suggest that (and this comment is not meant to take anything away from Peter's natural talent or physical abilities), given the rigorous training every Billy has recieved (both before they were chosen to play the role and certainly since), there's an argument that can be made that "Billys are made, not born" :lol: :lol: :lol:
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

Sunday 29th Evening

Billy - Liam Redhead (Final Performance)
Michael - Neil McCaffrey
Small Boy - Alex Dreier

I saw Liam perform once during my March visit to NY. Tonight it was quite apparent that he had developed his Billy considerably since then. Liam was always a beautiful dancer but now his dancing contains emotion not just technique. His acting has improved enormously and he has learnt better control of his voice.

Liam was very composed throughout and only in the letter reprieve did he show any additional emotions that his time as Billy was coming to a close.

Neil continues to impress me as Michael. For one so new into the role he is excelling already.

Much has been written already in Liam's thread about the Company's decision not to announce publicly at the theatre that it was Liam's last performance, so I will make no further comment here except to record the fact in this review.

So 5 shows in a row and 5 different Billy's (including a first I think, a first/last show on same day combo). You can't do any better than that ! Well I could go for six out of six as the only NY Billy missing form the mix is Jacob but I believe he is on a weeks holiday so that does not seem possible. I am sure I will catch him in the next weeks that I am here in NY :)
167 Performances!

KiwiT
Small Boy

Post by KiwiT »

Sunday 29th August Matinee

Billy – Peter Mazurowski (debut)
Michael – Gabriel
Small Boy – Seth

Wow! What an amazing debut show we got from Peter.

He appeared to be both confident and competent . As might be expected in view of his dancing background all of the dance numbers were strong including a very powerful Angry Dance.

However, what was perhaps more surprising is the standard of his acting which is excellent as well. Often new ballet Billys will start out with a relatively basic level of acting which they develop over time but that is not the case with Peter who is an impressive actor from the start. His facial expressions and timing in the toilet scene bear this out and he waits before putting his hand in his pocket to get out the second 50p for Mrs W, rather than pre-empting her request as is often the case.

Two of my favourite scenes are the Letter and Letter reprise. In my view a really emotional performance in these elevates a great performance into a brilliant one and Peter certainly did that. This was one of the most emotional renditions that I have seen for a long time with real tears in both. Very impressive indeed and particularly so to be able to do this on debut.

I should also mention Gabriel who played the part of Michael superbly. His interpretation is so completely OTT but I love it and so did the audience.
Well done Peter. I certainly look forward to seeing you perform again soon.
61 Brilliant Billys, 44 Magnificent Michaels
KiwiT
Small Boy

Post by KiwiT »

Sunday 29th August Evening

Billy – Liam (final show)
Michael – Neil
Small Boy – Alex

My final show in less than 48 hours which ended a remarkable run of four two in London and two on Broadway. The former included superb performances Aaron and Connor on Saturday afternoon which was followed by my current favourite UK Billy - Ollie - who played the role in the evening for Jake’s final show as Michael. Then onto New York where I was amazed to discover that I had Peter’s debut as Billy in the afternoon and then Liam’s final show as Billy in the evening.

Sadly, in contrast to London where there was a long and moving speech before the start of the show for Jake and similarly in New York for Peter’s debut, there was nothing said in New York for Liam. I think that is a real pity as very few people in the audience knew that it was such a special occasion.
This is only the second time that I have seen Liam perform, the first was shortly after he started, so it was great to see how he has developed over that time. His dancing has always been very strong - he has some of the fastest spins I have seen, but his acting has also developed considerably.
I love the way he hits his head from side to side in Expressing Yourself – not something I have noticed with anyone else - and his reactions in the toilet scene where his eyes almost pop out of his head at Debbie’s suggestion!

His Electricity was always going to get a standing ovation from the various forum members present but thankfully we were spread around the theatre and able to get it going throughout the audience. Liam seemed to be a little surprised by the strength and duration of this but it was certainly thoroughly deserved.
Liam managed to hold it together very professionally until the Letter reprise and as he walked past me up the aisle at the end. The usual “See Ya Billy” and “See Ya Michael” were replaced by “See Ya Liam” and “See Ya Neil” at the end. A nice touch to add to the special occasion.

Neil is a great Michael and bears a stunning resemblance to Jake who has just finished in London. I had to blink twice when he came on stage to make sure it was not him!

Thanks Liam for being a great Billy. It was a real pleasure meeting you and your family after the show. Best wishes for the future whatever that may bring.
61 Brilliant Billys, 44 Magnificent Michaels

Return to “Reviews Archive”