August 2010 Reviews - NYC

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: August 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks to BillyAddict and KiwiT for the reviews of the beginning of Peter's journey as Billy and the end of Liam's. Both sound like wonderful shows, filled with more than the usual emotion.

And WOW, KiwiT, that was a unique four show combination, seeing the productions on two continents in such a compressed timeframe. What a wonderful experience!
KiwiT wrote:Neil is a great Michael and bears a stunning resemblance to Jake who has just finished in London. I had to blink twice when he came on stage to make sure it was not him!
The pictures I've seen of Neil and Jake struck me the same way -- yes, a remarkable resemblance! Does Neil wear glasses normally or are they just used as a prop by him in the show? The reason I ask is that most of the pictures I've seen of him are without glasses.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for the great reviews, BillyAddict and KiwiT. I just have one question, though.
Often new ballet Billys will start out with a relatively basic level of acting which they develop over time but that is not the case with Peter who is an impressive actor from the start.
I don't know if this is the intent of the quote above, but as I read it, it makes me think that I don't quite understand why "ballet Billys" would be at a "relatively basic level of acting" in comparison to other Billys (who I would presume to be "street Billys"). :? Why would being ballet trained have anything to do with whether a new Billy is a good actor or not?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

ERinVA wrote:Why would being ballet trained have anything to do with whether a new Billy is a good actor or not?
I wondered about that as well.
KiwiT
Small Boy

Post by KiwiT »

porschesrule wrote: The pictures I've seen of Neil and Jake struck me the same way -- yes, a remarkable resemblance! Does Neil wear glasses normally or are they just used as a prop by him in the show? The reason I ask is that most of the pictures I've seen of him are without glasses.
I saw Neil briefly at the stage door Wed and he was indeed wearing glasses. He is certainly a great Michael too.
ERinVA wrote:I don't know if this is the intent of the quote above, but as I read it, it makes me think that I don't quite understand why "ballet Billys" would be at a "relatively basic level of acting" in comparison to other Billys (who I would presume to be "street Billys"). :? Why would being ballet trained have anything to do with whether a new Billy is a good actor or not?
It doesnt but just for the one's I have seen street billy's tend to start with a more developed level of acting than ballet ones. Just my opinion of course and in no way meant to be a criticism! However the poiint I was trying to make is that Peter's acting is very good indeed and far exceeds what I would expect from a Billy on debut. I seem to remember reading somwehere that when selecting potential Billy's the team primarily look for good dancers and can then train them up in singing and acting skills later.
61 Brilliant Billys, 44 Magnificent Michaels
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

KiwiT wrote:My final show in less than 48 hours which ended a remarkable run of four two in London and two on Broadway. The former included superb performances Aaron and Connor on Saturday afternoon which was followed by my current favourite UK Billy - Ollie - who played the role in the evening for Jake’s final show as Michael. Then onto New York where I was amazed to discover that I had Peter’s debut as Billy in the afternoon and then Liam’s final show as Billy in the evening.

Thank you KiwiT and BillyAddict! Though it seems months ago already (only a month) it was my great pleasure to meet you guys for dinner while you were in town. I'm slowly catching up on so many reviews I haven't read yet (these from September + all of October still to go). Thank you for taking the time to write your reviews and share your experiences! I hope you can both/all get back to the states again soon!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee

Return to “Reviews Archive”