August 2010 Reviews - NYC

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: August 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your review, bandaide2012. It's always interesting to hear how people feel about the slight differences between the NY and Chicago shows. Like you, I love them both.

I hope that the schedule gods will smile upon your wish to see JP and Dillon when you get home.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

bandaide2012 wrote: It was very interesting for me to see BE in NYC again (it had been a year since I saw it there last), and after seeing it 6 times in Chicago. There really are many differences between the productions and they are both fantastic. I wish that NYC had Billy wear Dad's mining hat in Once We Were Kings and then shine the light on dad's face. But then I wish that Chicago had the technology that NYC has, such as the lowering of the miners and having the house set come from under the stage. Regardless of the minor differences, both productions are phenomenal and I am thrilled to have had the opportunity to see it again in NYC with a new Billy for me.
Yes, thank you for the comparisons and if you get a chance, let us know of others too. Many of us have not seen the Chicago/tour production yet and are interested in any/all changes/differences. Thanks for your review! =)

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

My thanks as well for the review bandaide2012. I agree with you about the change in Chicago where Billy wears Dad's mining hat in "Once We Were Kings" and then shines the light on dad's face. In fact this was my favorite of the changes in the Chicago version.
:/
Hesychius
Tall Boy

Post by Hesychius »

I am back in Germany after a fantastic New York visit: breathtaking city, wonderful hotel, great restaurants - and four awesome BETM shows :D :D!
From the moment I stepped into The Imperial Theater I loved it: small, old-fashioned and (the best thing) a low stage. Sitting on seat C 109 in three performances, I was practically on stage and could see everything (in London you can't see the actors' feet when sitting in the front rows). That was really great!

That the London and Broadway versions are different has been sufficiently and controversly discussed. There were some things I didn't like, especially the Angry dance which in my opinion is overloaded with unnecessary things :evil: that distract from the dancing. I also did not enjoy the audition scene which is good for a couple of laughs in London, but rather vapid on Broadway. However, there are other things I preferred on Broadway :o. For example, I enjoyed the two grandmas, although I adore Ann Emery in the London production! Both grandmas seemed really confused and disorientated - as grandma is in the movie. I liked that! Especially moving was the scene after Tony and Dad fight: "Take this and this..." touched me more than in London, because you can see the miners going to Dad individually and giving what they can give.

Well, the most important thing for me: I saw four terrific Billies (I only missed Alex :( )!!! I have to admit, though, that I tend to love all of the Billies and think that we cannot praise and encourage them enough: what these boys do is simply awesome.
All of the Broadway Billies were most enjoyable and had their very own profile: I loved Liam's smile, Dayton's powerful dancing and Jacob's brilliant acting (his facial expressions are fabulous). Also Neil and Gabriel were superb as Michael!

But there is also one very special Billy for me: Michael Dameski is simply the best Billy I have ever seen, his acting, singing and dancing were sublime. I was totally captivated by his performance.
I saw the most powerful and breathtaking Angry Dance, the most elaborate Electricity and the most emotional Letter scenes. What me struck the most was Electricity. Michael began very petulant and really pressed the first line through his teeth, then he paused and continued much more insecurely, timid, searching for words, not knowing what to say, only to become more and more confident. After Electricity Michael enjoyed a very long and enthusiastic applause and got really emotional, he seemed to be close to tears - and that made me cry, too. WOW - I immediately understood what Aristotle meant with catharsis: in a good play you should be able to laugh, cry and empathise with the characters, as it will purify your mind and soul. That exactly happened to me saturday night - and not only once! After a very emotional letter reprise, Michael was hardly able to deliver his goodbye line to Michael, and when he walked down the aisle, tears were running down his cheeks - and mine as well. (Luckily, I had seat D 101 at this performance.)

After the show, I waited at the stage door and was determined to tell Michael what a stupendous show he did, but - as usual - I was too shy...

At least, I decided to come back to see Michael's last Broadway performance - and today arranged everything so that I will be back in New York from 3rd to 6th September. I certainly hope to see some forum members then!

I know that this isn't a real review, but I just wanted to share my thoughts which is, by the way, very hard in English ;)

Stefan.
London: Fox - 6; Tom - 4.5; Dean - 10; Ollie - 7.5; Rhys - 7; Aaron - 3; Scott - 1
New York: Jacob - 3; Dayton - 1; Michael - 2; Liam - 1; Peter - 1; Alex - 1
Charlotte: Daniel - 1; Michael - 1

50 inspiring shows
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Hesychius wrote:I know that this isn't a real review, but I just wanted to share my feelings which is, by the way, very hard in English
On the contrary, Stefan, it is a wonderful, very nicely written and emotion packed review! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about what seems to be a wonderful NYC and Billy experience. Glad you had a good time while here in America.

And, by the way, your English is better than a lot of Americans :lol:
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Hesychius wrote:I am back in Germany after a fantastic New York visit: breathtaking city, wonderful hotel, great restaurants - and four awesome BETM shows...I saw four terrific Billies (I only missed Alex :( )!!! I have to admit, though, that I tend to love all of the Billies and think that we cannot praise and encourage them enough: what these boys do is simply awesome...I know that this isn't a real review, but I just wanted to share my thoughts which is, by the way, very hard in English ;) Stefan.
Stefan, I was hanging on your every word wanting more. Thank you for a wonderful, emotion-filled review! I'm jealous that you're able to travel back to the states so quickly! Michael truly is a Godsend and you're right, all of the Billys are wonderful! It's a shame you missed Alex but maybe--hopefully--you will catch him on your upcoming trip. He is the funniest of the 5 Billys in my opinion and a complete delight to watch perform as well-much like Liam is. Of course we have a whole new crop starting soon, so the fun never ends!

My friend Christian lives in Germany (grew up in Hennigsdorf outside Berlin and is now living in the southwest in Stuttgart/Karlsruhe area) and he and I had met online 8-9 years ago through Billy Elliot the movie (a fan group online). This past March we finally met in person and he saw the show with me. In the next couple of years I hope to make the trip over to visit him and I hear there will be a BETM production somewhere in Germany by 2012, so you have that to look forward to as well! =) I know I'll be seeing it there when I make it over! Unfortunately I will be up in Vermont when you visit again, but I'm sure there will be many around and in town to meet who are in for Michael's last Broadway show. Enjoy! And again, hope you get to see Alex!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Hesychius wrote: But there is also one very special Billy for me: Michael Dameski is simply the best Billy I have ever seen, his acting, singing and dancing were sublime. I was totally captivated by his performance.
I saw the most powerful and breathtaking Angry Dance, the most elaborate Electricity and the most emotional Letter scenes. What me struck the most was Electricity. Michael began very petulant and really pressed the first line through his teeth, then he paused and continued much more insecurely, timid, searching for words, not knowing what to say, only to become more and more confident. After Electricity Michael enjoyed a very long and enthusiastic applause and got really emotional, he seemed to be close to tears - and that made me cry, too. WOW - I immediately understood what Aristotle meant with catharsis: in a good play you should be able to laugh, cry and empathise with the characters, as it will purify your mind and soul. That exactly happened to me saturday night - and not only once! After a very emotional letter reprise, Michael was hardly able to deliver his goodbye line to Michael, and when he walked down the aisle, tears were running down his cheeks - and mine as well.
Stefan, you perfectly summarized my thoughts on Michael's performance. You'd never know English is not your first language ! Thanks for going to the trouble to compose this.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Hesychius wrote:After the show, I waited at the stage door and was determined to tell Michael what a stupendous show he did, but - as usual - I was too shy...
Stefan, do not, I repeat do not, miss the opportunity to talk to Michael after his final NYC show because of shyness. Michael is one of the most approachable and friendliest young men who have ever played Billy Elliot. You will get over any shyness the moment you meet him. By the way, his mother will be there, and she is a nice person to talk to as well. :D
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I agree with johnnyc, Steran. All the child cast in NY are very approachable, and since they always make themselves available to sign programs, take photos, and greet fans, you should definitely do this.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Hesychius wrote:
At least, I decided to come back to see Michael's last Broadway performance - and today arranged everything so that I will be back in New York from 3rd to 6th September. I certainly hope to see some forum members then!
You will definitely see some of us then. By the way, you can see where some of us will be sitting for a particular performance at:

http://www.smallmomentsofgrace.com/seat ... insert.php

Be sure to add yourself to the chart if you know your seat locations for the BETM performances you plan to attend.

Return to “Reviews Archive”