October 2010-Reviews-London

Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Re: October 2010-Reviews-London

Post by Deanfan5 »

Tuesday evening 5th October

Scott, Joe, Emily with David Bardsley as George and Tim F as Tony and Caroline D as Mrs W.

This was an evening for new starts although I gather the new small blond haired boy started on Monday night. Certainly I have never seen David as George before and he played the part well. With his tracksuit top he looked the epitome of a boxing teacher more athletic and possibly more tolerant of Billy and Michael. He and Joe particularly worked well in the boxing scene. Nice touches also at the curtain scene. No politics but developing the meat draw raffle. Not certain though how the gay comrades would feel about bringing 'mince and faggots and a nice lean rump'. :shock: Also number 84 ticket followed by 'if you have got that ticket Irene..oops sorry'.
I reviewed Scott extensively on Saturday so what new is there to add? Tonight he portrayed a much more serious and earnest Billy (Scott had had a haircut which exemplified Billy's slightness and youth) bordering at times on the sullen and petulant. Shame as when he smiles Scott really brings Billy to life in a heartwarming way. Perhaps a liitle more visual balance especially in the scene with Michael in Winter. I remember well how Ollie developed this with looks of horror and laughs at Michael's antics. Perhaps Scott could take a leaf out of his book at this point and also with the initial reaction to the ballet troup which came across as bordering on fear rather than bemusement. Also a 'hint' of Scotland became quite a dance in the boxing scene. A little more mixing of the routine perhaps to draw out the humour (eg the Egyptian moves)? Joe and Scott really enjoyed Expressing and one felt that here were two friends having a great laugh. After calling Dad a 'B', Scott dispenses with the 'Oh' before 'sxxt' which I feels restricts him slightly as in extending the word when running off he reminded me of a departing steam train with the whistle full on :lol: ! Otherwise excellent dancing and skipping from a Billy who is really settling into the role. The letter was again well done with visual emotion.
Joe I felt was coming back to his impish best although I do feel he could extend the nutcracker sequence to get maximum effect. Again a very sorrowful Joe at the curtain farewell which can in the absence of the uplifting ending leave the departing audience on a real downer. Please Company sort out the Heath and Safety issues soon as the ending is really missed as well as the really Angry (not placid) dance.
Nice to see Caroline back as Mrs W and a well balanced intuitive performance from her. Tim brings his unique elements to Tony as well and whoever did the make up on him did an excellent job as you did get a powerful feel of running blood from a wound. Sometimes it can seem a bit of a blodge like Tony had run into a lampost.
Overall a well regarded show by the audience and having two Dads on stage as it were was real bonus.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Very pleased to hear from others that the Finale has now been restored - even if Angry Dance is still silent.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Westletonion wrote:Very pleased to hear from others that the Finale has now been restored - even if Angry Dance is still silent.
Yes that was of last night so I was told which makes the Angry Dance ruling even more strange.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Lets not count our chickens. We may have had Finale last night but there was at least one slip (Rhys with Grandma's chair) he slipped on the floor but recovered pretty quickly and carried on as if nothing had happened. This little slip did'nt go un-noticed by the company so who knows if they will take it off again until things settle down.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

Wednesday October 6th

Rhys
Reece
Francesca

I shall endeavour to write about the evening without mentioning the beastly stage! It turned out to be a special night. The theatre was pretty well full with a large school party in the rear Stalls which added to the general atmosphere. The adult cast was more orthodox than on some recent evenings apart from Older Billy who I had not seen before. This review will be more of an 'oil painting' rather than a 'water colour' in that I shan't describe the Show, scene by scene.
It was a moving evening in many ways. Grandma's scene with Billy was especially so with such a poignant moment at the ending. Ann is 80 I believe, and Rhys 12. Yet the ages did not matter in the slightest as they rubbed noses. Grandma's song describes a social spectrum of life in bygone times and a life that Billy could never experience.
There are many facets to Michael's relationship with Billy and the moving element was most striking last night. The school party picked up on the emotional intensity of their feelings for each other and this seemed to be reflected in the response of the audience as a whole. Tears were shed by many particularly at the final curtain.
This was the first time that I seen Reece and I thought he seemed a little tired in Act 1. Maybe this had something to do with the numerous extra rehearsals that have taken place recently. He seemed much more animated in Act 2 and I look forward to seeing him again soon. I had not seen Rhys for a month or so and so it was exciting to see how his performance has developed. His acting shows depth and focus. I would say that he has a strong stage presence to the point of charisma. Under the present circumstances (!) some dance and acro moves are difficult but Rhys timed his forward roll off the piano to perfection.
The finale returned to the evident delight of cast and forum members alike. So it was back to a 10.30pm finish and catching the later train :o
It was such a pleasure to meet the stalwart forum members who provide us with so much information, day in and day out. Thank you.

I found the evening a moving experience from many points of view...............................and I haven't mentioned the horrid stage once have I?
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Three great shows in two days at the VPT meant seeing lots of fantastic young stars at work. Rhys, Aaron and Dean Charles in that order, Reece (twice) and Joe and Francesca (twice) and Emily left three great audiences in fine fettle and fit to go home happy and full of all the joys of life.

There's always something different and exciting going on at Billy and this time we had some extra treats. David Bardsley was a hilarious George with some truly memorable moves and shakes :lol: thrown in for good measure not to mention leaving us guessing who Irene is?
We also got a beautifully performed Dead Mum from Nadine Cox which was another first for me. Is there any end to the talent in this show.

With the versatile Tim playing Tony it was left to Mike Scott to perform the Scab and a Posh Dad to die for. The British aristocracy have a wonderful way of shaping their bottom lip and chin when speaking (a la a certain Prince) and Mike got this to a tee. Tall Boy Ashley at the RBS was equally classically posh with some wonderful bemused eye movements having first been told to get off by Billy before being clobbered into the curtain.

Angry Dance is still as it was following the refurbishment but expect good news very soon.

For those who like to keep one eye on the drummer from B19 the news is not good. In addition to renewing the stage floor the glass in that viewing panel has been replaced with non-see-through.

At Thursday Matinee after the Finale Joe Caffrey made a moving speech concerning Aaron (who had just performed and was standing beside him) and Great Ormond Street Hospital. He congratulated Aaron on his performance and told us how Aaron had contributed his first pay packet to the hospital and that there would be a collection made in support of the hospital on the way out. Aaron's parents must have been very extra proud. I sincerely hope the collection went well.

Looking back at three very different Billy performances you have to marvel at the incredibly high standards achieved by these remarkable boys proving yet again that only the best will do. 4 into 3 won't go so I missed out on Scott again but, sure, as the Fab Four used to sing, it won't be long now ;)

A big thanks to all the cast, crew, MD's and players and the great ambassadorial house staff for providing such rich and enduring experiences at the Palace :D each and every time.

Pat
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your review, patc. From your description, I would really like to see David Bardsley as George. He sounds great!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Thanks for the Thursday reviews. I strongly concur with patCs report on the shows. Both very different in their own way. With Aaron you always get a very genuine honest show 110% and I was very pleased to see his Electricity rewarded by a spread of the audience rising to his performance which was top drawer. A gentle bemused Billy who drew us into his exploration of dancing with ease and evident enjoyment which was very translatable. The poignant words of Joe Caffrey at the end about Aaron and Great Ormand Street were very moving and having seen a first rate performance from Aaron we can only echo 'thank God for science and medical expertise' that has enabled us to see this exceptional Billy perform.
In the evening we had a very assured and robust performance from Dean who has clearly been working on honing his acting and it really paid dividends especially in conjunction with a very impish Joe and somewhat bossy George. David Bardsley is a delight in the role of George although he did tear political correctness to shreads with his reference to the donation of a ' lean rump which has been boned' :shock:
It was good to see the finale back so that the ending and the audience response to it certainly did the cast and Aaron and Dean justice. Let us hope that it is not too long before the Angry Dance is restored to it correct performance. Full marks to Dean who in particular managed to carry on conveying anger to the point that we almost forgot the soft shoe shuffle.
A special mention to Ashley as tall boy who in both performances conveyed perfectly the hoity toityness of the public school which great skill.
A footnote also from the evening show. I wonder what it was that nearly reduced Daniel Page (pencil man in the audition) to almost uncontrollable giggles. Was it the wiggles of a certain cassette carrying member of the ensemble? Who knows. Fortunately for Daniel the stage screen could not come down quick enough. :D
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

I had one of those extremely rare Saturday afternoon visits yesterday and was rewarded by seeing Scott for the first time. It was very clear that the team of him, Connor and Fleur had great chemistry between them. I was surprised at what a diminutive figure
Scott is but his face has a steely determination with very interesting facial expressions. 'Feisty' might be the American word to use perhaps!
Also his bits of Scottish dancing stamped his particular hallmark on the role and with added interest.

David Bardsley playing the part of George was an interesting departure from the norm and he got well and truly clobbered in the nether regions by Connor in the boxing scene which would make anyone wince!

Good to see the finale back again. The audience seemed to be highly appreciative of the efforts from all concerned.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Thanks for your comments Westleonion. Good to meet up with you again after a long time and share another fine performance from Scott at the Saturday matinee. As you said loads of Celtic firm jaw and steely eyed grit with determination. However when Scott breaks into a grin what a transformation. At the curtain we were introduced by George to 'my smiling little pixie helper'. Well who ever wrote that certainly did not have Scott in mind who resembled dourness personified coupled with an expression which could have cut ice and been translated as 'who are these 2 idiots?'
Overall though an excellent performance from Scott who again treated us to some first class dancing ( Electricity especially) and acting throughout. The good thing is that he allows for maximum impact by not rushing a response as for example 'you don't fancy me miss' and 'Good luck as well miss' to Mrs W. Another very emotional Letter very well delivered.
Scott was ably assisted by Connor and Fleur who both gave top notch performances. I have rarely seen Connor so skittish and 'flirtatious' with a Billy as he was today with Scott who could hardly keep a straight face in Expressing Yourself at Connor's facial antics.
It also pays to look at actors faces as you can see the depth of their performances. If you can tear your eyes away from Billy in the audition scene take a close look at Shaun Henson and see how he is constantly expressively responding to the changing scenario in front of him. Perhaps that is what Daniel Page was in stitches about the other day during that scene. Excellent acting.
A good responsive audience were treated then to another first rate matinee.

I stayed on for the evening show and was surprised it was Rhys for his third show this week especially as he had performed with Fran and Reece the previous night. If you thought Rhys would be stale and tired from his exertions nothing could be farther from the truth. I had not seen a Rhys show for a while and after the seriousness of Scott here was a very smiley Billy who captivated the audience from the word go with his good humour and empathy to Grandma. I had not remembered Rhys as being particularly emotional in the Letter but he was powerfully so last night. The show started 10 minutes late as I believe there were audience problems with double bookings so the curtain scene was truncated to a brief appearance from David, Tim, and Rhys so we could finish roughly on time. Even so it over ran thus depriving Paddy (small boy) of his curtain calls.
Rhys performed a very aggressive angry dance which made up for him being nearly 'strangled' by that hat in Expressing which rapped itself around his neck in a way that had me worried for a second. Again a very fluid balletic Electricity with perfect poise and movement and pronounced positive tuneful singing.
Overall an enjoyable show even though the audience was hard work to enthuse. Only the perfectly delivered 'is queer' retort garnered the necessary laughs and applause. However to see a very happy Rhys and Scott depart afterwards in the Billy Bus you really felt that they both knew they had done a very good days work and they certainly had.

Return to “Reviews Archive”