Gillian Elisa - Grandma

OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Re: Gillian Elisa - Alternate Grandma

Post by OliverWaters »

how does an "Alternate Grandma" differ to an understudy? As far as I'm aware, there was both?
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

OliverWaters wrote:
  Post subject:  Re: Gillian Elisa - Alternate Grandma  
how does an "Alternate Grandma" differ to an understudy? As far as I'm aware, there was both?
An alternate is an actor who appears in the role on a regular schedule (i.e. so many times per week). An understudy is normally someone who goes on when the regular actor in the role can't (due to illness, vacation, etc).

In the case of Grandma in London, Gillian has been appearing in the role regularly for quite some time, alternating several performances per week with Ann. Lucinda Collins of the Ensemble is listed as the understudy for the role and has appeared occasionally, according to some of the posted reviews.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

OliverWaters wrote:how does an "Alternate Grandma" differ to an understudy?
"Alternate" is used when the main cast member is only scheduled for a certain number of shows each week. The way this usually works is the main person in the role will perform six times in an eight show week. On the days with two performances, the alternate will play that role the other times. Additionally the alternate is an understudy, and may or may not also be in the ensemble.

This is most often done in "Phantom of the Opera", where the role of Christine is deemed to be so straining on the voice that the actress playing the role needs time to rest her voice.
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

I see :) I always thought that understudies performed a couple of times a week anyway, regardless of illness?
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I can think of no one on the London stage better suited to carry on this role than the wonderful Gillian.

It will be interesting to see who becomes her alternative!
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Gillian Elisa - Grandma

Post by CJ-Rochester »

kport wrote:I can think of no one on the London stage better suited to carry on this role than the wonderful Gillian.

As far as I know the use of the regular+alternate scheme for Grandma was only used in London, probably an accommodation for Ann's age to keep her in the show for as long as possible. I would imagine this will now revert to the usual regular + understudy scheme like all other roles.

BTW, time to remove the 'Alternate' from Gillian's thread (hint to Ellen). ;)
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

kport wrote:I can think of no one on the London stage better suited to carry on this role than the wonderful Gillian.
I agree with this 100%..... Gillian is fantastic.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

CJ-Rochester wrote:

As far as I know the use of the regular+alternate scheme for Grandma was only used in London, probably an accommodation for Ann's age to keep her in the show for as long as possible. I would imagine this will now revert to the usual regular + understudy scheme like all other roles.

BTW, time to remove the 'Alternate' from Gillian's thread (hint to Ellen). ;)
I agree. I did attempt a post stating that an earlier generation played great store on 'where their name was placed on the marquee'. That is not a criticism; but an acknowledgement. Ann was wonderful: so is Gillian. My only regret is that the former's departure seems to have been kept quiet. Perhaps she will 'be available' if there is a need.................and sort of 'au revoir'...........not the end of an era, but a pause.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

I guess this makes it "official". Congratulations Gillian!

http://www.westendframe.com/2015/01/gil ... ma-in.html
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Here is the announcement from BroadwayWorld:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/westend/ar ... T-20150107#

Return to “Cast - London”