'Better Nate Than Ever' - a book by Tim Federle

For off-topic content
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: 'Better Nate Than Ever' - a book by Tim Federle

Post by kport »

Tim shared his five essential tips for young performers:

Your reputation starts the second you post something on social media. So be thoughtful about what you're saying about your fellow performers and the people you look up to, because Idina Menzel might see what you say about her on Twitter.

Right before a big audition, when you're in the hallway waiting to go in the room, stand with your hands on your hips and your feet really far apart. It's a power pose that's a secret that some adult performers know about. It's scientifically proven to give you confidence before you sing.

Don't stand with your arms crossed at an audition, especially at a dance audition. The best way to stand is with your arms by your side, or even behind your back, just holding one wrist. With your arms crossed you might be feeling a little tired, but it can look like you don't want to be there and that's not the message you want to send to the director or the choreographer.

Everybody loves a good riff, but make sure to sing the melody that's written. When you're at an audition, the musical director wants to hear if you can really sing the song as written. So unless it's a song that's written to be a pop or rock 'n' roll ballad, it's best to sing the song as written.

Not everybody can be cast in the leading role, but everybody can act like a star with their attitude and how they treat other performers. So be really conscious of the fact that your career and your ambitions as a performer will be marked by how you treat people more than how many shows you've been the lead in

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/18 ... al?tsrc=nx
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

kport wrote:Tim shared his five essential tips for young performers:
Love those! Thanks for passing that on!

I loved his first Nate book so much, I bought 2 more copies for friends + his cocktail book too. Really looking forward to this next book!!!

Sean
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Okay, Northern Va - here is your chance:
WED 05

Broadway dance workshop Tim Federle, a member of the choreography staff for Broadway’s “Billy Elliot” and author of “Five, Six, Seven, Nate!,” will teach middle and high school students in advanced dance, music and theater programs “Tips and Tricks to Nail a Broadway Dance Audition.” Federle will sign copies of his book following the workshop. 4:30 p.m. Metropolitan School of the Arts, 5775 Barclay Dr., Kingstowne. 703-339-0444. http://www.metropolitanarts.org. $50.
Now, at my age, memory is not quite as sharp as it was. But....Metropolitan School of the Arts rings a bell. A BETM alumnus, perhaps, has an association there?
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Last night, I finished reading the sequel, Five, Six, Seven, Nate!, and I LOVED it!

I was so impressed with the first book, and this one just takes off from that one, and shows us what it's like (in this world at least) rehearsing for a Broadway show. Some of the characters seemed (to me!) like hilariously close characterizations of known Billy Elliot production personnel. Though none seemed to be perfect matches (at least from my far, far, away seat), you could easily see some similarities. But that just made it all so much more real!

If Better Nate Than Ever tickled my funny bone, and inspired me with a fun-filled adventure, Five, Six, Seven, Nate! took me to Broadway, and made me feel every bit of the sweat, stress, joy, and love Nate was feeling. I literally felt like I was there in the room, as if in a dream, living my life as the main character! That's how great this book was!!!

Beyond the main story and stories, it's worth mentioning this book is one I wish I had when I was a kid. The "gay angle" is there, just as it was easily found in the first book, and yet it's more overt this time, but at the same time, more beautiful. Honestly, it's just about a kid who dreams, and has crushes on others, and over-thinks and over-worries what people think of him, and wonders whether or not happiness can ever be his. That makes it a very human angle, and just framed in a way that makes it feel more familiar for me. For that reason, I'll be happily buying more copies of this second book and getting them into the hands of my local gay youth centers here on Long Island for their library programs. This one belongs in the hands of every one of those kids, and I'm thrilled they'll be able to have this book as part of their childhood!

Whether the above paragraph means anything at all to you or not, trust me on the overall book: it's a winner! Get it today, and I promise you'll love it! You'll see the Billy Elliot similarities in cast, production team, staging, and more, and you'll feel like you're backstage at The Victoria Palace Theatre or Broadway's Imperial Theatre in the weeks, days, and hours leading up to the First Preview. By the time I reached the last 25% of the book, I literally could not stop reading, and I'm praying to the theatre gods that Tim Federle finds a way to create another fun sequel for this brilliant story!

Sean
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Here is this week's "Stage Dad" column from Glenn Cook. He gives a glowing review of Tim's book, and talks about the warm reception Tim received when he recently taught dance classes at Metropolitan School of the Arts in the DC area, where Glenn's own kids studied dance.

http://www.dcmetrotheaterarts.com/2014/ ... lenn-cook/
:/
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

In today's tweet, Tim reveals the inspiration for the title character of his two books, someone whom many of us know. :D
@Neil_McCaffrey, the BILLY ELLIOT alum who inspired the character of Nate and is funnier than anything I could ever think up.
https://twitter.com/TimFederle/status/4 ... 8944982016
:/
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Here is an interesting interview, from Vermont Public Radio, between a class of fifth graders, and Tim Federle, about his book Better Nate Than Ever.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/dorothys-li ... -nate-ever
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Tim's latest book, with a more adult theme, out in December:

http://www.runningpress.com/book/hickor ... 0762455058
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I don't get it.... is it nursery rhymes about alcohol.... or is it a recipe book?
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

It is a book of cocktail recipes, sequel to his Tequila Mockingbird.

Return to “General Chat”