Les Miserables The Movie Christmas 2012

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Les Miserables The Movie Christmas 2012

Post by ERinVA »

Don't let my opinion stop you from seeing it. There were plenty of people in the theatre at the showing I attended who were very happy with the movie. I wouldn't say I wanted my money back. I just was disappointed that it wasn't better.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I saw the movie this afternoon, and I will offer my opinion from the perspective of having never seen the musical, although I am familiar with some of the music.
The theatre was sold out, I was at a 3pm show so it was busier than I expected.
Overall I quite enjoyed it. I thought it started a bit slow, and the second half was more interesting and more engrossing than the first. In terms of the songs, I enjoyed all the group numbers quite a bit more than the solo songs. However I thought Anne Hathaway did a wonderful job with I Dreamed a Dream.
Russell Crowe was not AS bad as people were saying. I thought his singing was mediocre but it wasn't terrible. I was somewhat let down with Hugh Jacksons performance though. I expected a little more especially with the songs. But his last part of the film was quite touching.
Sasha Baron Cohen and Daniel Huttlestone both were really good too. Did anyone else find it odd that Thenardier was the only person in all of France to have a French accent?
I also thought there were too many close ups. Placing a movie in France in the early 1800s could have provided a chance to see much more scenery and architecture. It could have been more vast and encompassing. But instead it felt like it was shot mostly on small sound stages. I understand that they obviously didn't have all that in the live musical. I just think it was a lost opportunity.
Overall it was good and I don't know if it was the best picture of the year, but it was very good.

Now I am excited for Les Miserables 2: Le Wrath De Valjean
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

Cinema only half full...! I attended the 9PM showing the day after its opening at the Plymouth, IN cinemaplex, arriving early enough in hopes of getting a select seat. I couldn't believe my eyes, as there was but one other couple in the theatre besides myself.

My reaction to the film..! I just couldn't get excited about it, even if I almost feeling apologetic in making that assessment. But having seen the stage version half a dozen times, or more, over the past 25 years, and being rocked be the voices in those performances, I just felt the shelves were made bare in this film version. It is, in my opinion, the power of the voices which fully delivers the intensity of the story.

Thankfully, in four weeks I will be able to "fully recover" by traveling up to Kalamazoo, MI, (Western Michigan University), where I will see one of the exquisit performances of the Les Miz Touring Company during their eight day stop in the Western MI, area.

Colin
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

My general impression from an unscientific observation of reviews and comments I have seen on Facebook and other sources is that people who are big music theater fans, or who have very strong feelings for the stage version, tend to be the most criticial of the movie, especially the singing. Some have been outright disappointed, such as Ellen and Colin. However many others have enjoyed the movie more for what it is. Again this is a very broad generalization, and no one is right or wrong here. I think it all depends on what your expectations are of the movie.

-Chris
:/
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Let me ask this...is it better than the slaughtered movie version of Phantom?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

dongringo wrote:Let me ask this...is it better than the slaughtered movie version of Phantom?
Far better in my opinion. In just the time since my previous post I came across posts from two more friends that I know from theater experiences who also loved the movie. I think each person has to decide for his/herself.
:/
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Yes, definately better than the Phantom movie!

Perhaps one reason that the singing felt lacking was that it was recorded live as they filmed, as opposed to being perfected in a recording studio? Just a thought.
BillyBob
Small Boy

Post by BillyBob »

OK, I've been holding off on saying anything about the Les Mis movie because I've had a hard time describing it. I saw it Christmas night. As I've said before, Les Mis and Billy Elliot are the best two musicals ever. But I believe they are in two separate categories.

I think that the reviews by Forum members, and other reviews, are pretty much right on. I loved the filming, sets and scenery. I thought the singing was a little less intense than I expected, but contributed that to it being a movie and not musical and that it was recorded live. I also, for mostly the same reasons, thought the orchestrations were not as intense. Again, this was intended as a movie and not stage musical. I had to accept the fact that the words and expressions, not really the music, was telling the story. I thought the casting was much better than I had expected both from the acting and singing point of view. Except....

My only MAJOR complaint, as has been pointed out in everything I've read, is... what were they thinking putting Russell Crowe in this movie/musical. I'm sorry to say but his performance (or lack of) could cost this film some of the awards it deserves to win. In the show I was in (a VERY small town Texas in a VERY small theater) the room was about 1/3 full (of people you would never guess had ever heard of Les Mis). From the first scene when Crowe tried to sing, there was snickering throughout the room. I just sat and bit my lip. But this happened every time he was "singing." I finally just accepted the fact and sat and enjoyed the show for what it is.

Did I enjoy the movie? Definitely! Will I see it again? Definitely! Have I been recommending it to others? Definitely! Will I buy the DVD someday? Definitely! (OK, not only am I a Billyiot, I'm a Les Misiot.) Just watch, listen and enjoy the show. Also, take your Kleenex. You will use it.

Go See Les Mis!

BillyBob
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

BillyBob, some people were BALLING when I saw it yesterday. It was emotional. And I'll add that this really isn't a movie for little children. There were some kids about 6 years old there, and they really shouldn't be seeing this movie at that age.

And you are right, Les Mis and Billy are both great but both very different.
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

This is a video of a young man's parents reaction to the movie Les Mis. He filmed it in the car right after the show. So funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Wj5_AcIQNA

Return to “Non-BETM Archive”