Countdown to Hartford

jdmag44
Michael

Countdown to Hartford

Post by jdmag44 »

COUNTDOWN TO HARTFORD
It appears that very many forum members are planning to be in Hartford for what looks like the final weekend. Many have been sharing suggestions of hotels etc. I was thinking that this would be a wonderful opportunity for members to get together and meet one another in person or to renew old acquaintances. My thought was that we could find a place to meet between shows on Sat and also on Sun, for drinks, a bite to eat and some social interaction. Perhaps a place that would have a private or separate room we could use. I am not familiar with Hartford so perhaps someone who is could suggest someplace close to the theater that would fit our needs. This should work well for those who will be there for the weekend and those who are doing only the Sat eve or Big Sun eve could arrive early and join in. I know so many of you only by name and I for one would hate to miss the chance to do more than just say “Hi” . I am wondering how you all feel about this idea.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Countdown to Hartford

Post by kport »

This is a great idea. Hartford has plenty of small and large options. Thinking back to the end of the Broadway run, I wonder whether the cast will have in mind an event similar to Thommie Retter's to mark the occasion, in which we could be involved, or be part of? Shall we begin to throw around some ideas but wait to find out if there are plans afoot? But, as a start, we could put together a provisional/date plan for a get-together for Forum members which could be altered if more exciting plans evolve (not that we aren't an exciting group!). ;)
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

great idea!
Do you guys know if its easy to get from Manhattan to Hartford? Because I have friends in NYC and can also get cheap flights there.
I assume Amtrak runs to Hartford as well. Or I'd be willing to chip in for a carpool if anyone lives there.

What did you guys do for special events when the broadway show closed?
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Though I'm in the camp that's confident in the Tour's future beyond Hartford, we do always see spikes in forum member numbers in the NYC area or easy travel from NYC.

What did we do for Billy Broadway's final weekend? Well there were just SO MANY PEOPLE and so many different personalities, so it was pretty much decided by most that trying to pull together a large single group event would be difficult, not just from a booking perspective but from a desire perspective. =) I was amazed at how great a turnout we had for Thommie Retter's Farewell Celebration that weekend. I looked around the room and thought, I don't know half these people! :D That doesn't mean it's a bad idea, or that you still wouldn't get a lot of people to show if it was close to the theatre and easy for people to do (think drinks/soft drinks and appetizers more than a sit down dinner--or at most buffet style). But again, the challenges are huge and probably outweigh the results...especially given the fact that there's no guarantees the Tour would end there. If there was an announcement in advance, people would commit more, but without it, there's just hearsay and speculation.

Not trying to be negative, just realistic. Have met some of my closest friends through gatherings of forum fans (Broadway First Preview and Broadway 1st Anniversary come to mind), so I know they can be a lot of fun.

It's still early January, so we'll see how things go.

Sean (not speaking for the whole forum, just offering my personal thoughts!) :)

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

rob_hanson1979 wrote:great idea!
Do you guys know if its easy to get from Manhattan to Hartford? Because I have friends in NYC and can also get cheap flights there.
I assume Amtrak runs to Hartford as well. Or I'd be willing to chip in for a carpool if anyone lives there.

What did you guys do for special events when the broadway show closed?
Rob-

Megabus has a NYC-Hartford service.

As does Amtrak.

-Bill
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

angelenroute wrote:Though I'm in the camp that's confident in the Tour's future beyond Hartford, we do always see spikes in forum member numbers in the NYC area or easy travel from NYC.

What did we do for Billy Broadway's final weekend? Well there were just SO MANY PEOPLE and so many different personalities, so it was pretty much decided by most that trying to pull together a large single group event would be difficult, not just from a booking perspective but from a desire perspective. =) I was amazed at how great a turnout we had for Thommie Retter's Farewell Celebration that weekend. I looked around the room and thought, I don't know half these people! :D That doesn't mean it's a bad idea, or that you still wouldn't get a lot of people to show if it was close to the theatre and easy for people to do (think drinks/soft drinks and appetizers more than a sit down dinner--or at most buffet style). But again, the challenges are huge and probably outweigh the results...especially given the fact that there's no guarantees the Tour would end there. If there was an announcement in advance, people would commit more, but without it, there's just hearsay and speculation.

Not trying to be negative, just realistic. Have met some of my closest friends through gatherings of forum fans (Broadway First Preview and Broadway 1st Anniversary come to mind), so I know they can be a lot of fun.

I like your optimism, Sean! I might hold you to it!

I, too, think the tour will continue - that mid-June will see the start of a summer haitus, and then it will resume touring in the autumn. Networks seems to be pretty business savvy. With at least three Billys still entering their prime in the summer, it seems unlikely to stop for good. Give the hard working cast a summer break, and move ahead in the autumn, when theatre attendance returns to normal. That is my guess.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

kport wrote:
angelenroute wrote:Though I'm in the camp that's confident in the Tour's future beyond Hartford, we do always see spikes in forum member numbers in the NYC area or easy travel from NYC.

I like your optimism, Sean! I might hold you to it!

I, too, think the tour will continue - that mid-June will see the start of a summer haitus, and then it will resume touring in the autumn with a refreshed set and a refreshed cast. Networks seems to be pretty business savvy. With at least three Billys still entering their prime in the summer, it seems unlikely to stop for good. Give the hard working cast a summer break, and move ahead in the autumn, when theatre attendance returns to normal. That is my guess.

The only thing that still mystifies me is the break before the last two tour stops.
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

kport wrote:Thinking back to the end of the Broadway run, I wonder whether the cast will have in mind an event similar to Thommie Retter's to mark the occasion, in which we could be involved, or be part of?
That event and the other adult workshops the preceded it were of Thommie's personal initiative. Right from the start of the Broadway production, he acted as a liaison with the fans. Remember, Thommie is primarily a dance teacher; he moved from LA to be in Billy, his only Broadway show. As a teacher, he naturally wanted to convert his Broadway experience into a dance class, which was the starting point for the adult workshops. I am not aware of any cast member on the tour who has taken the initiative to engage the fans the way that Thommie did. Thommie also had the advantage of a stationary show: His BETM workshops were in the same studio space that he regularly uses for his other teaching. An event in Hartford would require arranging space at a distance. None of this makes a fan event impossible, it just raises some issues that need to be addressed.

jdmag44's original suggestion was much simpler, just a time and place to gather. A dinner reservation isn't hard to make. It would help if someone familiar with Hartford could find a good place.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Liam is right. It would be best if someone familiar with facilities in Hartford would take it upon him/herself to organize a group booking at a restaurant. People could sign up by adding their names to a list on here. Whenever we have done this in the past in NY, members have ordered from the menu and paid for their own orders, although sometimes the organizer has collected the money to pay the check rather than having the waiter/waitress do a huge bunch of individual checks.

A big event like Thommie's Farewell Celebration in NY doesn't make a lot of sense. That was truly a "one-off," and it was expensive too, but considering the occasion, it was worth it.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Thanks, I think going to NYC and then to Hartford would make more sense!

It sounds like Thommie was a pretty incredible cast member who did a lot for the fans :-)

Return to “Non-BETM Archive”