March 2010 Reviews - Chicago

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: March 2010 Reviews - Chicago

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your review and impressions of the Windy City, Alexandre. Enjoyed reading it. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Thanks for your comments Alexandre, it was nice meeting you last week.
alexandre wrote:. . . also like the Mr Braithwaite going the full splits.
Funny how the full splits garnered zero reaction in NY and was eventually pulled but it got a huge response in Chi. :?
alexandre wrote: And while NYC was like being in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City, you could actually meet the characters in Chicago. :?
Ain't that the truth! Just glad I had other forum members to walk back to the hotel with late at night. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Rich B wrote: And while NYC was like being in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City, you could actually meet the characters in Chicago. :?

Ain't that the truth! Just glad I had other forum members to walk back to the hotel with late at night. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I must say, I was struck by the number of homeless people, beggars, street people, etc. that I saw near the theater. I've been to Chicago a number of times (more than I've been to New York) and don't remember seeing that many troubled-looking people on any of my other trips. Admittedly I've not spent much time in the Loop (where the theater district is) as I've normally found myself north of the river around Ontario Street, or further north still in the Wrigley Field area. Hopefully something will be done soon to clean things up in the theater district as was done in New York when things changed dramatically for the better in the mid to late 1990's.
theluji
Small Boy

Post by theluji »

Thank you for your wonderful reviews everyone :D
I have nothing to add, I saw only two nights and both were awesome.
However, to my regret...I missed Sunday's matinee due to flight delay :cry:
I wanted to see Tommy and Keean.
So I should go to Chicago again ;)

Finally, It was nice to meet forum members !!!
I hope to see you guys again in somewhere :P

theluji
New York
Billy : David A x 4 , Kiril x 1 , Trent x 1.3 , Tommy x 0.7 , Liam R x 1 , Dayton x 2 , Jacob x 1 , Alex x 1
Michael : David B x 5 , Keean x 2 ,Trevor x 4 , Jake x 1
Tall Boy : Keean x 3 , Tommy x 2 , Kiril x 1, Kylend x 3 , Ben x 3

Chicago
Billy : Cesar x 2
Michael : Gabriel x 2
Tall Boy : Spencer x 2

Toronto
Billy : Cesar x 1 , Marcus x 1 , Myles x 1
Michael : Jack x 2 , Dillon x 1
Tall Boy : Dillon x 2 , Jack x 1
olivejuice
Small Boy

Post by olivejuice »

Thanks to Steadman for his generosity, I was able to attend the matinee performance yesterday where JP performed as Billy. and may I say sitting in B row of the Oriental is quite a change from being WAY up in the balcony like I was for the first preview! Going from having to use opera glasses (which I thankfully thought to bring!) in order to attempt to see faces to being practically right up in the action was an interesting contrast. I have to say although I still loved the show up in the balcony, nothing beats the intimacy of sitting so close.

I'm not going to write a long review detailing all the aspects of the show, because really all I have is love for the chicago cast and crew, so I will just say they are doing a wonderful job! JP was a joy to watch yesterday. I also thought the ballet girls were on top form and I seem to be liking the "Shine" number more and more every time I see it.

If I were going to nitpick, the only thing I would really say is wrong with the show as of now is angry dance. I still think having the boys climb down the trellis thing really takes a lot of energy out of it in the middle of the dance. That and at the end of the number everyone stopped clapping as JP got up to leave the stage, making his exit and the end of Act One dead silent. I was told this has been a problem for Tommy as well and the simple solution seems to be that they should just go to blackout after Billy hits the floor. Awkward silence is not the picture you want to leave an audience with at the interval.

overall though, great performance by JP, Gabriel and the Chicago cast that I was lucky to get the chance to experience!
London: Ollie-1, Dean-Charles-1, Tom-1
Chicago: Cesar-2, JP-2, Giuseppe-1, Tommy-3, Marcus-1
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

olivejuice wrote: I still think having the boys climb down the trellis thing really takes a lot of energy out of it in the middle of the dance. That and at the end of the number everyone stopped clapping as JP got up to leave the stage, making his exit and the end of Act One dead silent. I was told this has been a problem for Tommy as well and the simple solution seems to be that they should just go to blackout after Billy hits the floor. Awkward silence is not the picture you want to leave an audience with at the interval.
I definitely agree on the part about Billy climbing down the side of the set. Not sure why they couldn't just leave the staircase attached to the bedroom set and let him run down it like they do in the other productions, then have the set - along with the steps - leave the stage together.

As for the very end of the scene, I've seen this happen at a number of the shows I've been to - where the audience stops clapping as Billy gets up to leave the stage. So I wouldn't say it's unique to the Chicago production and necessarily needs to be changed. Only on rare occasions - like Trent Kowalik's last show or with especially enthusiastic audiences - has the applause continued to be strong clear up until Billy's walked off the stage. I think in some cases, the audience is simply stunned when the number ends, considering how emotionally draining it is. So that could also be an explanation.

Still, it might be interesting for them to give the black-out idea a try during the previews while they're trying new things - giving Billy time to get up and leave the stage before the lights come up in the theater.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Todd wrote: I definitely agree on the part about Billy climbing down the side of the set. Not sure why they couldn't just leave the staircase attached to the bedroom set and let him run down it like they do in the other productions, then have the set - along with the steps - leave the stage together.
During my last Chicago show, I looked closely at the bedroom at the top of that set as it slowly revolved to begin Angry dance. It occurred to me that perhaps some mechanical issue would dictate moving the stairs aside when the bedroom turns. The set may be constructed differently than the ones in London and NYC. I can't see Peter Darling approving the loss of continuity that results from Billy climbing down the side on that trellis affair, unless something forced it to be done as we see it.
SatinandLace
Tall Boy

Post by SatinandLace »

Todd wrote: I definitely agree on the part about Billy climbing down the side of the set. Not sure why they couldn't just leave the staircase attached to the bedroom set and let him run down it like they do in the other productions, then have the set - along with the steps - leave the stage together.

As for the very end of the scene, I've seen this happen at a number of the shows I've been to - where the audience stops clapping as Billy gets up to leave the stage. So I wouldn't say it's unique to the Chicago production and necessarily needs to be changed. Only on rare occasions - like Trent Kowalik's last show or with especially enthusiastic audiences - has the applause continued to be strong clear up until Billy's walked off the stage. I think in some cases, the audience is simply stunned when the number ends, considering how emotionally draining it is. So that could also be an explanation.

Still, it might be interesting for them to give the black-out idea a try during the previews while they're trying new things - giving Billy time to get up and leave the stage before the lights come up in the theater.
That's very strange that the audience now isn't applauding as the Billy's get up to exit the stage after AD. During the shows I saw in Chicago, the audience applause actually grew louder as the Billys walked offstage.

Also, the bedroom would probably not be able to spin like it does if the stairs were left in place, which I'm sure is the reason they detach and make an early exit.
~Lauren~
8xTrent 3xSam 3xLayton 2xJosh F. 4xCorey
1xFox 1xHogan 2xScott 1xRhys
4xDavid 4xKiril 1xTanner
2xCesar 1xTommy 1xJ.P.
2xDaniel 2xLex 2xGuiseppe
1xKylend 1xKaine 1xJosh B.
SatinandLace
Tall Boy

Post by SatinandLace »

Rich B wrote: Funny how the full splits garnered zero reaction in NY and was eventually pulled but it got a huge response in Chi. :?
Were the splits ever actually in the NYC show? I thought they were taken out in rehearsals.

I'm so proud that in Chicago, we have a splits-doing, accordian-playing Mr. B...who also happens to be the cousin of one of my good friends!
~Lauren~
8xTrent 3xSam 3xLayton 2xJosh F. 4xCorey
1xFox 1xHogan 2xScott 1xRhys
4xDavid 4xKiril 1xTanner
2xCesar 1xTommy 1xJ.P.
2xDaniel 2xLex 2xGuiseppe
1xKylend 1xKaine 1xJosh B.
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Splits were done in the NY previews but not sure when they were pulled out.

Return to “Reviews - Chicago”