April 2010 Reviews - Chicago

gpcolo
George

Re: April 2010 Reviews - Chicago

Post by gpcolo »

Thanks for your reviews M.F. They are fun to read and help me get set for a visit next month. Are you liking the finale? I was sorry to hear there was no Billy sign at the end as I always thought that signified Billy had fulfilled his dream followed by a much deserved standing ovation.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for the reviews, M.F. They really make me want to see this show!
They changed Mrs W smart reply back to Billy to(Anna flipping Pavlova from Margot Fontaine) No other changes here that I remember.
I am curious. Did Mrs. W say "Pavlova" earlier in previews? I have never heard a Mrs. W say anything except "Margot flippin' Fonteyn" in all the shows I have seen (which is many :oops: ) either in London or NY.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

ERinVA wrote: I am curious. Did Mrs. W say "Pavlova" earlier in previews? I have never heard a Mrs. W say anything except "Margot flippin' Fonteyn" in all the shows I have seen (which is many :oops: ) either in London or NY.
No, Mrs W said "Fonteyn" during the first week of previews. A good change, I think. I doubt that the average theatre goer ever heard of Margot Fonteyn.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Well, actually, I would expect them to be more familiar with her than with Anna Pavlova. After all, she is much more recent that Pavlova, and people would likely have heard of her during their lifetime.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

She said Anna Pavlova in the matinee performance today.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Just to be clear, I was trying to say that the use of "Pavlova" was not a case of "going back to," as I understood M.F.'s post to say, because to my knowledge the reference to Pavlova has never existed in the show before this.
Ellen

johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

ERinVA wrote:Well, actually, I would expect them to be more familiar with her than with Anna Pavlova. After all, she is much more recent that Pavlova, and people would likely have heard of her during their lifetime.
I suppose I should have said I never heard of her. :o Anyway, I suspect the company felt that Pavlova might strike more of an audience response. And apparently so, since they are still using her name.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

She was Rudolph Nureyev's dance partner for many years. I would think that anyone who knew who Nureyev was would also know about Dame Margot Fonteyn. Anyway, I am just surprised they would go for Pavlova instead. But I guess it's time to get back to reviews.
Ellen

Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

gpcolo wrote:Thanks for your reviews M.F. They are fun to read and help me get set for a visit next month. Are you liking the finale? I was sorry to hear there was no Billy sign at the end as I always thought that signified Billy had fulfilled his dream followed by a much deserved standing ovation.
Yes I like it. Even though I miss the Billy sign. They do not use it in London either. The Billy has the curtain open on him and he walks to the front of the stage for a bow. Then steps back to wave in rest of cast. Finally thank for the comments gpcolo they make it worth while to write the reviews.
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

ERinVA wrote:Thanks for the reviews, M.F. They really make me want to see this show!
They changed Mrs W smart reply back to Billy to(Anna flipping Pavlova from Margot Fontaine) No other changes here that I remember.
I am curious. Did Mrs. W say "Pavlova" earlier in previews? I have never heard a Mrs. W say anything except "Margot flippin' Fonteyn" in all the shows I have seen (which is many :oops: ) either in London or NY.
Ellen thank you for right spelling of name I was not sure and to tired to look up.
Sam
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor

Return to “Reviews - Chicago”