Site Admin
Site Admin

June 2010 Reviews - Chicago

Post by ERinVA »

A new thread for June Chicago reviews.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
bandaide2012
Audience Member

Re: June 2010 Reviews - Chicago

Post by bandaide2012 »

Yesterday was my 4th Billy Elliot Chicago performance and I finally got to see Giuseppe! All I can really think to say is that his acting was absolutely incredible. I had a rush ticket so I was in the first box on the right side of the dress circle so I could see facial expressions perfectly. And let me just say, Giuseppe's facial expressions were truly amazing. His reactions to everything were perfect, adding so much heart and personality to Billy. Though I found that he seemed timid in his dancing, his performance was wonderful. I know he is an incredible dancer, he just seemed a bit nervous when he danced. I really loved him. He is absolutely adorable, has wonderful stage presence, and really is an extremely talented actor. I hope this kid goes far!
NYC:
Billy- Tommy, Alex
Michael- David B., Gabe
Chicago:
Billy- Tommy x3, Giuseppe x3 Cesar x2, JP 2x, Marcus
Michael- Keean x7, Gabe x2, Dillon 2x
bandaide2012
Audience Member

June 8

Post by bandaide2012 »

went to the show again tonight for my birthday and Giuseppe was absolutely amazing yet again. His dancing was gorgeous tonight, I was incredibly impressed and reminded again that he is a truly talented kid :)

Edit: I have moved this post into the June Reviews thread since we like to keep all the reviews for each month together in one thread of the Reviews section instead of starting separate threads. :D (ERinVA)
NYC:
Billy- Tommy, Alex
Michael- David B., Gabe
Chicago:
Billy- Tommy x3, Giuseppe x3 Cesar x2, JP 2x, Marcus
Michael- Keean x7, Gabe x2, Dillon 2x
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Wed June 9 Eve
Billy-Tommy (Terrific the perfect nickname)
Michael-Keean
Older Billy-Nicholas Torres
Big Davey-Kent Lewis
Clip L-Kate Marilley
SB-Mark

I think I will start at the end of the review first :D :lol: . The SB when he was waved onto the stage by Tommy comes out wearing a Chicago Blackhawks Champ cap :roll: (yeah they won the Stanley Cup :( :( :evil: :evil: :lol:) Hey I am a Philly kid what do you want smiles :lol: . Tommy grabs it and puts it on his own head. At the SD Tommy was still wearing it and taking it home with him :) . Had a chance once again to put my two cents in to the couple sitting next to me. I told them about B-Way connection to the 3 main kids tonight. They loved Tommy (Terrific) and Keean and could see why I love the show. Now for the bad part. Maybe it was because the hockey game but there was at least 300 empty seats on the Orchestra level. AA was completely empty. BE Chicago is offering $30 off Tue and Wed nights for June to people who have bought tickets before. Sat C116 (aisle) for $60 plus fees from Ticketmaster.

Expressing Yourself
Keean got what audience there was laughing from the start. Love the French accent and swish of the skirt at the(Time to look in the mirror)line. The B-Way vets have the crowd :lol: going with their routine. Speaking of faces Tommy (Terrific) give the audience this tongue out funny face look during the part where the two of them are arm and arm. Can it get any better than this. Two great kids giving a great performance. Putting a smile on the audiences face and laughter in our hearts. One of the changes that I really like is that you can actually hear Keean at the end yelling (come on :D ) to the crowd. To get us to cheer.

Deep Into the Ground
Tommy has this smile on his face and is laughing when he throws Keean the tutu. He is enjoying the spectacle Michael(Keean) is making of himself. Keean gets about half way into the split before his yell and joke.

Dream Ballet
Nicholas was a great fill in as the older Billy. No problems during the flying scene or ballet. Oh yeah and they did the flying scene with a fill in unlike NY where twice that I saw it they did not.

Electricity
Absolutely positively terrific :D and Smoothly professional that's Tommy Electricity to me. His singing of Electricity has a quality to it that I can't describe :D . Tommy has his ballet and acrobatics going great. The RBS letter scene is where the Chicago company is truly at its best. I love the staging of this scene. The postman bringing in the letter and Armand Schultz's(dad) happy dance when he finds Billy is in the school :D . Dad, Tony and Grandma are at their funny best.

Finale
The ensemble has NY beat hands down in the staging of the Finale. They are loud and proud. It was great having Tommy(Terrific) and Keean together on stage tonight. No fans at SD but little old me tonight :( . Had a chance to say hello to Tommy's mom and dad. While walking up the aisle to leave heard from a woman who had seen Tommy on B-way as well. She thought he was :!: :!: Billy Elliot :!: :!: in every way. add 3 more people to the BE and Tommy Terrific fan club.

Sam
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

BE Chicago is offering $30 off Tue and Wed nights for June to people who have bought tickets before. Sat C116 (aisle) for $60 plus fees from Ticketmaster.
Wait! Does this mean that I can take my Tues. and Wed. tickets to the box office when I arrive in Chicago and get $30 back on each one?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Musical Fanatic wrote:Oh yeah and they did the flying scene with a fill in unlike NY where twice that I saw it they did not.
Sam: Not sure what this means: A "fill in"? Does this mean because the regular Older Billy was not on sometimes they don't do the flying part of the scene?
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

porschesrule wrote:
Musical Fanatic wrote:Oh yeah and they did the flying scene with a fill in unlike NY where twice that I saw it they did not.
Sam: Not sure what this means: A "fill in"? Does this mean because the regular Older Billy was not on sometimes they don't do the flying part of the scene?
porschesrule when Easton was Older Billy his U/S(don't remember name) did not do the wire part of the scene when I saw the show. They simply went to the end part when they were done the chair sequence and the dance part together. Hope this makes more sense.

Sam
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

ERinVA wrote:
BE Chicago is offering $30 off Tue and Wed nights for June to people who have bought tickets before. Sat C116 (aisle) for $60 plus fees from Ticketmaster.
Wait! Does this mean that I can take my Tues. and Wed. tickets to the box office when I arrive in Chicago and get $30 back on each one?
Ellen only if you had have been to the show already and on their e-mail list. Sorry it was late :oops:
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Musical Fanatic wrote:porschesrule when Easton was Older Billy his U/S(don't remember name) did not do the wire part of the scene when I saw the show. They simply went to the end part when they were done the chair sequence and the dance part together. Hope this makes more sense.
Yes it does. But, wow, I had never heard they left that out. I guess the u/s wasn't up to speed on the wire, or perhaps it just hadn't been thoroughly rehearsed with the u/s and the Billys.

Thanks for the explanation.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

sctwins wrote:bandaide,belated happy birthday and glad that you had wonderful time seeing Giuseppe's show! :D

MF,thanks for your wonderful review as always! I can sooo picture Tommy's facial expressions during Express :lol: and I agree with you about loud and proud ensemble during Finale.I really loved it.
Thank you :D Love seeing Tommy and Keean. Hopefully again Sat Eve :D

Sam

Return to “Reviews - Chicago”