What I did not like about attending Billy Elliot The Musical

1RadBilly
Tall Boy

Re: What I did not like about attending Billy Elliot The Musical

Post by 1RadBilly »

madashell wrote:One thing that annoyed me at several BETM performances was when people were "too cool" to to give a standing ovation after seeing a spectacular performance by a kid who was obviously giving his all. This was no time to be reserved with only polite applause. Some theater-goers were too jaded and forgot how important praise is a needed reward for kid's hard work.
Totally agree...that makes me mad as hell too!

Here is what I did not like...

1. The approximately 400lb guy sitting next to me in SF. Let's face it the seats just aren't big enough.
2. The couple who sat next to me in LA who arrived 30 minutes late and had their three year old son with them. What are you thinking people? A three year old can't sit still in a show that long. Sure enough the people sitting in front of them had to move because the kid couldn't sit still and everyone around them were constantly giving them dirty looks. I was okay because I've seen the show so many times but use some common sense.
3. Driving from SF to LA (6 to 7 hours) to see Ty perform but he only made it through the first half of the show. That really sucked. When they made the announcement during the intermission that Ty would be replaced by JP, I blurted out, "Oh $#!)" the guy next to me gave me a puzzled look, I didn't even bother telling him about my journey to see another Billy. Luckily I was able to catch Ty again, a truly amazing Billy!
4. The guy sitting in front of me who spiked his hair, leave it flat next time, I want to see the stage not your spiked hair!
tzwicky
George

Sad ................

Post by tzwicky »

1. Rush Limbaugh is a BETM fan?

2. I got to the theatre late (late for me, as I like to be there at least 20 minutes before curtain) twice. One time it was because a Ballet Mom I was lunching with kept me long upstairs in the food court of the train station and I had to run, like running from police, all the way to the front door of the VPT where I paused, and the combination of looking like a heart attack was imminent and the ticket person knew me from a long Billython, I got right through and was sitting as the announcement played. Phew. Then the time I really was late and the first scene had started, I told the usher that I could stand at the back rail till it was more appropriate to walk to the front of the theatre. She insisted on running me down right then. The ushers have a total OCD thing about butts in seats no matter when the butts arrive. Some "safety issue" no doubt. On the "kids issue" I have also been amazingly lucky. I've even gotten into the habit of making sure wee kids (their parents actually) know about the cushions available from the closet of the very front door well on the right side of the audience. I feel like a Service Dog pointing out where and how to get them. And even quite small children have always been mesmerized by the show and behaved spectacularly. Though three year olds sound as if they could be quite squirmy

3. I've only suffered through minor tech breakdowns, and just a few mid-show substitutions happen during my Billythons. I did have to sweat out the Icelandic volcano on two trips, though. Thought I'd have to land in Rome!

4. Never been bothered by men or women with silly, tall hair. Always sit in the first few rows. Ya have to exercise your neck from time to time, though if you're in the front row, you can just slump deeper in the chair to raise the angle of your eyeballs.

MY biggest bother is with matinee people with coats and shopping bags they stuff under the empty seat in front of them. If I'm in the front row, sometimes I don't sit till the MD takes his place, and the baggers always make snit-fit sounds treating my arrival as a huge inconvenience. I mean, the VPT does have a baggage room where you can pay to check these things, but maybe they don't take all the shopping bags. On the other hand, I would never encumber myself with multiple shopping bags unless I was JUST shopping. Topping off a day of shopping with a multi-hour musical does not sound like a pleasant way to spend a day. And the shopper people sometimes double down with the habit of tossing their multiple layers of sweaters and coats on the seat back in front of them, again having a fit at my arrival because of their poor choices.

tzwicky
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

What I did not like about attending Billy Elliot The Musical:
(some of these apply to all shows/theatres everywhere)

1. The annoying orchestra-level usher at The Imperial who chastised picture takers before the show with an unwarranted venom. He was doing his job, but how he did it was just so over-the-top. (The Imperial later changed their policy to allow for photos before and after the show.)

2. Season-ticket holders at Tour stops and some Broadway attendees as well who filled up some of the best seats in the house and then sat there like rocks, thoroughly bored by the show. Hilarious bits arrived and they didn't even smile. I glared. They detracted from the enjoyment of many people.

3. Whisperers and talkers everywhere. When the show is on, you do not speak. Maybe a quick whisper here or there in a loud/funny part, but you should be physically able to keep your big mouth shut otherwise. It particularly annoys me when certain people feel they need to look at their loved one constantly throughout the show, as if their enjoyment of the show is not complete unless they constantly take themselves away from the show and look at their boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/whatever.

4. Superfans who... {Eh, I better not!!!} ;)

5. Whoever was in charge of directing Jackie Elliot's hand as he held the frying pan out. Some in the role (like Greg) always showed us the gross black "egg" in the pan, but too many others never tilted the pan far enough for us to see it.

6. Whoever was in charge of guiding Mrs. Wilkinson's accent in the last days of Billy Broadway. She was somehow using a Russian accent as much as a British one, and it annoyed the heck out of me and many others.

7. That Jacob Clemente wasn't given another chance at Angry Dance at his last show.

8. That there is no official video recording available of the last Broadway show.

9. That more show props have not shown up for purchase, particularly all of the many "one for the album" photos.

10. That it's all gone now from North America. :cry:

Sean
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

1RadBilly wrote:
madashell wrote:One thing that annoyed me at several BETM performances was when people were "too cool" to to give a standing ovation after seeing a spectacular performance by a kid who was obviously giving his all. This was no time to be reserved with only polite applause. Some theater-goers were too jaded and forgot how important praise is a needed reward for kid's hard work.
Totally agree...that makes me mad as hell too!

Here is what I did not like...

1. The approximately 400lb guy sitting next to me in SF. Let's face it the seats just aren't big enough.
2. The couple who sat next to me in LA who arrived 30 minutes late and had their three year old son with them. What are you thinking people? A three year old can't sit still in a show that long. Sure enough the people sitting in front of them had to move because the kid couldn't sit still and everyone around them were constantly giving them dirty looks. I was okay because I've seen the show so many times but use some common sense.
3. Driving from SF to LA (6 to 7 hours) to see Ty perform but he only made it through the first half of the show. That really sucked. When they made the announcement during the intermission that Ty would be replaced by JP, I blurted out, "Oh $#!)" the guy next to me gave me a puzzled look, I didn't even bother telling him about my journey to see another Billy. Luckily I was able to catch Ty again, a truly amazing Billy!
4. The guy sitting in front of me who spiked his hair, leave it flat next time, I want to see the stage not your spiked hair!
While I would have been disappointed to miss Ty, I would have been very happy to have seen JP finish. In fact, I have enjoyed every Billy (and Michael), even when they have been able to perform only part of a show.

Time for another gripe: individuals who insist on standing ovations at every opportunity, even when no one else is standing. Certainly there are moments when many stand to clap, but to have one or two individuals do it repeatedly distracts from the enjoyment of others, especially those who are seeing the musical for the first time, and rather degrades the whole point of showing special appreciation.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Most of us, even though we certainly don't want a Billy to be injured or ill, actually are happy to get a two-for-one show from time to time, especially when we are confident that the Billy who is replaced is not having a serious problem but is being taken out just to be on the safe side. But, as this thread shows, it would be nice if both Billys got to take the bows at the end of such shows. http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... 308#p91308
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
tzwicky
George

Post by tzwicky »

3. Whisperers and talkers everywhere. When the show is on, you do not speak. Maybe a quick whisper here or there in a loud/funny part, but you should be physically able to keep your big mouth shut otherwise. It particularly annoys me when certain people feel they need to look at their loved one constantly throughout the show, as if their enjoyment of the show is not complete unless they constantly take themselves away from the show and look at their boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/whatever.

Sean
Sean, I am totally on the same point as you with the need to experience an event dually. All the looks back and forth make me think these people are waiting to jump up and scream something on cue. It's CREEPY when they need to validate their personal experiences by staring at the face of someone sitting next to them seeing the same thing. Funny how when you see this behavior going on, your peripheral vision jumps onto a new level of acuity, and it makes you crazier every time the people doing it, do it again. And talking people, don't even get me started.

tzwicky
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

angelenroute wrote:
2. Season-ticket holders at Tour stops and some Broadway attendees as well who filled up some of the best seats in the house and then sat there like rocks, thoroughly bored by the show. Hilarious bits arrived and they didn't even smile. I glared. They detracted from the enjoyment of many people.

7. That Jacob Clemente wasn't given another chance at Angry Dance at his last show.

10. That it's all gone now from North America. :cry:

Sean
I would "second" all of the above, Sean !

A few others I would add . . . .

11) The woman in the front row center at the final show in Hartford who gave an "if looks could kill" glare at several of us Forum folks who attempted to move into some unoccupied seats next to her at intermission. She got up to "stretch her legs" and then coincidentally a few moments later, an usher appeared to let us know that we would have to return to our regular seats. Never mind that this sort of thing is routinely done at most every show I've been to and it's never been a problem before. Not sure why she cared if we were sitting there, since it wouldn't have affected her view. Maybe she thought we were moving from the "cheap seats" and trying to get an expensive seat like the one she had paid for. If that's the case, I'd be happy to add up the total amount of money that we regulars have spent on BETM tickets over the years and compare it to her ticket expense ! :evil: ;)

12) The lack of access for fans to congratulate the young cast members after the show in London.

13) Whenever a Billy or Michael is doing their final performance and no announcement is made beforehand to let the audience know they're in for an extra special show, which also cues the audience to show their appreciation for the particular cast member. (I do understand, however, that this lack of recognition is sometimes at the request of the parents of the departing cast member)
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

angelenroute wrote:
Yes!! This was the absolute low point of the Broadway production, in my opinion.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

11) The woman in the front row center at the final show in Hartford who gave an "if looks could kill" glare at several of us Forum folks who attempted to move into some unoccupied seats next to her at intermission. She got up to "stretch her legs" and then coincidentally a few moments later, an usher appeared to let us know that we would have to return to our regular seats. Never mind that this sort of thing is routinely done at most every show I've been to and it's never been a problem before. Not sure why she cared if we were sitting there, since it wouldn't have affected her view. Maybe she thought we were moving from the "cheap seats" and trying to get an expensive seat like the one she had paid for. If that's the case, I'd be happy to add up the total amount of money that we regulars have spent on BETM tickets over the years and compare it to her ticket expense ! :evil: ;)
Really? How does she know those weren't your seats and you were just late? The only way she should be able to complain is if she actually bought all those seats herself.

That reminds me of when I went to see the NYC Ballet at the Kennedy Centre in DC. I was sitting next to a woman, and there was an old man next to her. And he said to her "would you please uncross your legs in my presence?" Like WTF. She wasn't in his space or anything. I was kinda shocked.
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

angelenroute wrote: 3. It particularly annoys me when certain people feel they need to look at their loved one constantly throughout the show, as if their enjoyment of the show is not complete unless they constantly take themselves away from the show and look at their boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/whatever.
Sean, when you said "certain people feel they need to look at their loved one constantly throughout the show", I wasn't thinking boyfriend/girlfriend - I was thinking "loved one" as in a smartphone. Folks, you can wait until the interval or the end of show to check your text messages. Believe me, you are not that important.

Return to “"Billy" Around the World”