BETM by American Schools

Will "Billy" be staged all over the world? A place to discuss.
We will move posts, if starts, so has own section, like London, New York etc
Steamboy
Tall Boy

Re: BETM by American Schools

Post by Steamboy »

Sorry for the late reply, I don't browse the forum as often as I used to....

Now that the Broadway and touring productions have closed, the rights for schools and community theaters to stage productions of BETM may soon be made available. Stephen Daldry will not be personally involved in any way, this sort of thing is left to script publishers and agents.

If you're not a subscriber to the sorts of trade journals that rights availability will be announced in, wait until you hear of a small or regional theater doing the show, and look at their publicity for a note like "special arrangement with Samuel French, Inc." and follow up on that lead (Samuel French is one of the larger publishers and rights agents of theater scripts, I just use them as an example. More likely, the rights will be granted by Old Vic Productions, but I could be wrong).

It may be that rights will not be available until the London and recently announced European productions have run their course and closed, or they might be waiting on a possible movie version to happen or not. Then again, they have already allowed select UK schools to stage the show. Eventually it will be available, but trying to guess when is just that... a guess.

Edit - Lo and behold, this thread.

Return to “Where will "BETM" play next ?”