Technical difficulties?

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
burtond
Michael

Re: Technical difficulties?

Post by burtond »

I can't remember which night this week it happened, think it was Tuesday with Connor Kelly - In the dressing table / wardrobe scene with Billy and Michael, there was no red frilly tutu style dress for Michael to put on. The two guys just got on with it and I'm quite sure that other than regulars, no one would have noticed.

However, on Wednesday evenings performance, at the very beginning when the see through curtain falls on the small boy, the wrapping up of the curtain and carrying off was a little more cumbersome than usual and as the curtain was taken ito the wings, it caught one of the two mini spot lights on the very front of the stage and changes is direction. These are used near the beginning of the show as Billy makes silhoette shapes on the back and side walls. Needless to say, one of these lights was firing straight into nowhere. Well done Fox for getting on as if nothing had happened.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Not all of the Michaels wear the red tutu in Expressing Yourself. I don't know about Connor Kelly as, unfortunately, I have not seen him yet :(
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Great show Monday 21st Dec - probably the best we've seen yet.
No Film show at beginning this evening - No small boy at the begining either. He didn't arrive until after the interval resumably because of the heavy snow fall outside. Maybe the film was not projected as a result of the small boy not being there but if this was the case, it didnt' make sense to me.
Fox had to improvise the scene with the small boy chasing Billy for the lollipop (due to lack of small boy) - which he did with true professionalism (of course!)
Small things really which did not at all spoil a fantastic show.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Just a couple of technical difficulties from the tuesday evening show 9th Feb 2010 - UK - London.

1) The opening gauze curtain got stuck on the main red doors (LH side of the stage) as it was released. Joel (Swing) tried desperately to release it but was uinsuccessful. In the end it took a stage hand to climb up the set from behind and un-clip the curtain where it had caught.

2) The RH door in the safety curtain came apart from its hinges as Billy came through following the bad audition. COnsequently, the Posh Boy had a real battle with it to get through to do the little sequience with Billy. Once he got through, the door was literally hanging off its hinges - some major repair work necessary no doubt.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

RH Door in safety curtain well and truly fixed - thankfully.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Tuesday 16th February 2010 - UK London
Major technical difficulty tonight!
Just as Billy got the packet of soup out of the bag to complete what he had brought to show Mrs Wilkinson - an enormous BANG!!
Sound went altogether but Tom and Caroline Deverill (Stand in Mrs W) continued with the scene for a few seconds. Then, the Stage Manager came on and a couple of stage assistants. One of them escourted Tom safely off the stage whilst the Stage Manager explained that there had been a 'technical fault' - the audience were asked to remain seated whilst the crew would try and sort out the issue.
Down came the safety curtain and the house lights went up. There was a complimentary round of appluase for the Stage Manager for quickly intervening as he left the stage. During the following ten minutes or so, the audience chatted away - it was a lovely opportunity to make conversation with those sat around to guage how they were enjoying the show. Feedback absolutely excellent.
After about ten minutes, the Theatre manager took to the stage and informed the audience that there had been a significant electrical surge that had knocked out all systems. She reminded us that the show was highly complex and relied heavily on Computer Systems. As the systems had been taken out, they would al have to be re-booted - this would take some time.
Needless to say, about five minutes later Ton and Caroline continued as if nothing had happend.
Great team effort both on and off-stage - no doubt an enormous virtual round of appluase for the techy's behind the scenes.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

I don't think the technical and backstage crew get the praise and recognition they so rightly deserve!
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Wednesday 17th february - UK London
Another technical difficulty this evening which brought the show to a stop at the beginning of the Dream Ballet sequence which had literally just started when the Stage Manager comes on, introduces himself and stops the action. Again both Billy and Older Billy leave the stage. Although it was difficult to see the problem from where I was sat (B23) I am reliably informed that the mobile red door scenery hadn't retracted sufficiently to allow the side suspended lights (which move up and down to allow scenery to come in and out of the stage) to fall to stage level. Approx 5 minutes delay whilst technicians work behind the Safety Curtain after which the show continues as if nothing had happened at all.
Great work you Techy folk. You're really earning your money this week!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I saw this happen in NY as well. Trent was on as Billy. The ballet had started, but then it was stopped before the flying sequence, and Trent and Stephen Hannah walked off the stage. One of the gizmos that pops up to dispense the fog refused to retract into the floor, which kept the stage right wall from moving back as it should. I guess they hammered the thing down, or removed the top part of it so that the scenery could move, and then Trent and Stephen returned, took up their positions exactly where they had stopped, and continued the dance with no fog on the floor.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”