Accidents involving the metal bed in Angry Dance

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
dongringo
Debbie

Re: Accidents involving the metal bed in Angry Dance

Post by dongringo »

Yeah, I saw it happen to Lex Ishimoto during a particularly violent Angry Dance. He threw it up really hard then turned around and it came down on his back. He didn't even really look back as he was apparently in a dangerous mood. He simply pushed back on it really fast and the bed stuck in position. Meanwhile, he didn't miss a tap. He then continued to deliver the meanest angry dance of the seven Portland shows I attended.

I forgot to put that in my review. Thanks for the reminder. ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
Steamboy
Tall Boy

Post by Steamboy »

All the versions I've seen have the flip-up bed, and it makes sense that if the bed wasn't pushed up far enough, or was pushed hard enough to bounce back, that it could flip back down unexpectedly. I don't think there's a catch of any sort on it, although adding an electromagnet comes to mind as a possible fix.
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

Never seen it happen in the dozens of shows I've seen, but I do suspect you all have it right...throwing the bed back too hard and thus causing it to have a rebound effect back at Billy. The thing is obviously bigger than our Billies and hence, I suppose, would frighten the hell out of any of us who are use to a flawless flow of the Angry Dance throughout. I would trust ample warnings were considered to avoid such occurrences in the future, but who knows. Let's hope for the best. Regards, Colin
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

At tonight's performance, Myles was very careful to put the bed up and then hold it for a moment to ensure that it was not bouncing.

I had the opportunity to go on stage once in NYC. On stage, the outlines of the traps are visible and the bed trap is really tiny, so the bed is far too small even for a child to stretch out in. If you look carefully, you can see that Billy is always curled up when in bed. So, while the bed looks heavy and I am sure it doesn't feel nice when it hits you, it is a very small bed and so it will not be particularly heavy, so an injury is very unlikely.
mikey2573
Tall Boy

Post by mikey2573 »

I don't know if this is the most "infamous" of bed mishaps, but at Jacob Clemente's final performance he went to push the bed down and it stayed up. Those of us familiar with the show knew immediately that this was going to be a problem as the bed tower was supposed to next be lowered into the floor and the trap door close over it. Well, that can't happen if the bed is still in the UP position. Moments later Jacob was discreetly directed off the stage and the Act 1 curtain came down and that was the end of the act. So Jacob never got to complete his final Angry Dance.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Yes, I happened to be at that memorable show. Very sad to see Jacob's final Angry Dance end that way. Still not sure why they handled it the way they did. Seems like it would have been pretty easy to just have a stage hand run on stage and quickly push the bed down before it descended into the stage. Or if that wasn't possible, at least let Jacob resume the number from the point of where it was stopped, given that it was his final show.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

I'm still angry over that incident. I think it was inexcusable that they didn't make some provision for Jacob to finish the angry dance. I think a few adult performers I talked to after the show felt the same.

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”