Legal Prohibitions You Should Know Before Buying Tickets

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Legal Prohibitions You Should Know Before Buying Tickets

Post by accessmenj »

This thread is not intended to imply that legal restrictions would be followed at any particular showing of Billy Elliot The Musical. The parties involved may receive waivers from the law.

If you think, as I do, that the Company Celebration is an important part of BETM, you should be aware that there is a good chance that it has to be eliminated from any performances that start later than 8:00 PM. Minors are prohibited from performing after 11:00 PM. Buy tickets for an earlier show and there will be no restrictions from local child-labor laws.

Also, remember that Pennsylvania law prohibits the flying scene for minors. It's still a great show without Billy's flying, so I suggest that you attend the Media, PA presentation knowing that it probably will have no flying.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Legal Prohibitions You Should Know Before Buying Tickets

Post by kport »

A quick reply:

In my experience, the three hour limit is also in effect if the theatre is operating under Equity rules. That is not to say that it could not allow the performance to exceed three hours, but to do so would result in quite a hefty penalty.

I am aware (from first hand experience) of only one occasion when the performance exceeded three hours; that was the penultimate show, at the Ogunquit Playhouse last summer, when the 41st President and First Lady went backstage for photos with the cast at the intermission. The President is in a wheelchair and backstage is not wheelchair friendly, so the 15 minutes became 25. For various reasons, the show ran its normal course, including the company dance at the finale. I am not aware if Equity ok'd this or not, but under the circumstances, the show ran for three hours and ten minutes that day. I doubt the Equity members complained.

That said, I have been to several London shows where the company finale was truncated as the clock came close to the three hour mark. The MDs and SDs seem to know how to do this in a way which is seamless. Whatever the reason, it did not in any way diminish from an excellent performance or a satisfying experience.

The possibility that flying may be prohibited at the Media's BETM has been noted previously, under that theatre's thread.
ERinVA
Post subject: Re: Media Theatre, Media, PAPostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:15 am

I assume that Billy will not fly in this production. Remember when the tour was in PA? The state has a law that will not allow the flying.

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”