Most moving/emotional part of the show

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
burtond
Michael

Re: Most moving/emotional part of the show

Post by burtond »

Thomas wrote:I do understand this very well. Lately I had been to Beethovens 9th symphony and the audience clapped after each movement which is bad enough. But there is a silent spot in the last movement when the music is very emotional. And some people started to clap and so ruined the moment.
I totally agree - it frustrates the hell out of me and only shows that those who are clapping (in the wrong place) have absolutely no appreciation of the musical piece at all. Protocol rules OK!!! 8-)
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

burtond wrote:I totally agree - it frustrates the hell out of me and only shows that those who are clapping (in the wrong place) have absolutely no appreciation of the musical piece at all. Protocol rules OK!!! 8-)
There is a funny anecdote of Richard Wagner to this topic. But it would go (even more) off topic now. Where can I put it?

Regards - Thomas
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4
Marky
Small Boy

Post by Marky »

Thomas wrote: Lately I had been to Beethovens 9th symphony and the audience clapped after each movement which is bad enough. But there is a silent spot in the last movement when the music is very emotional. And some people started to clap and so ruined the moment.
It was quite customary to clap between movements at concerts in the 19c...even at the premier of many Beethoven works including the 9th Symphony! - one eye witness recalled...."(the audience) broke out in jubilant applause, often during sections, and repeatedly at the end of them."

Silence between them has only become the norm in the 20c when we all started taking classical music far too seriously!

As far as I'm concerned, whether it be Billy Elliot or Beethoven, the louder and greater the applause, wherever it comes, the greater the performance and experience. If you want silence then there's always the option to listen to the work at home on CD!
madmax1960
Audience Member

Post by madmax1960 »

Fun thread Burtond...thanks for starting it. For me there are so many emotional moments in the show, and most of them have already been mentioned...The Letter, Dad singing "Deep Into the Ground", Angry Dance, and many others. But I'm with Burtond and others on here...the final dialogue between Billy and Michael moves me in a really deep place every time. I am just so torn between the absolute joy of Billy being able to go forth and live his dream with the full support of his family and community juxtaposed with the loneliness and emptiness of life that Michael is left with as Billy walks away. When I hear that "see ya Billy..." it gets me every time. I need the finale to collect myself.
"See ya Michael."

"Yeah....see ya Billy."
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

madmax1960 wrote:...the final dialogue between Billy and Michael moves me in a really deep place every time. I am just so torn between the absolute joy of Billy being able to go forth and live his dream with the full support of his family and community juxtaposed with the loneliness and emptiness of life that Michael is left with as Billy walks away. When I hear that "see ya Billy..." it gets me every time. I need the finale to collect myself.
My sentiments exactly madmax1960. Your words capture the moment precisely. Look out(listen out) for the music that immediately follows this - it captures perfectly the underlying emotion in the relationship between Michael and Billy. Really feel sorry for the poor guy.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
surferbob
Tall Boy

Post by surferbob »

There are many moments in the show that I find moving. The relationship at the end between Billy and Mrs. Wilkinson moves me a lot because she loves him like he is her own and only wants the best for him. I also love Billy and his dad at the audition. Dad is just so moved by his son during Electricty. The finale is also a heart wrencher. Oh let's face it I cry through half the show and laugh the other half. :)

Bob
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

Marky wrote:It was quite customary to clap between movements at concerts in the 19c...even at the premier of many Beethoven works including the 9th Symphony! - one eye witness recalled...."(the audience) broke out in jubilant applause, often during sections, and repeatedly at the end of them."

Silence between them has only become the norm in the 20c when we all started taking classical music far too seriously!
I disagree. I will elaborate in a separate thread on this.
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

surferbob wrote: The relationship at the end between Billy and Mrs. Wilkinson moves me a lot because she loves him like he is her own and only wants the best for him. The finale is also a heart wrencher. Oh let's face it I cry through half the show and laugh the other half. :)

Bob
Bob, I also think that there is evidence that Mrs W has become like a surrogate Mother to Billy. I am thinking of that very special moment when Mrs W hands Billy the cassette for the audition and checks to see that he is OK - of course he is far from OK and needs a great big hug from Mrs W (surrogate Mum) - The enormous bear-hug that he sustains for what seems to be a couple of minutes is very precious.
Like you I am crying for half the show - but I have to do this inwardly and un-noticably because I am a grown Man and what would people think!!! :oops: - I am able to laugh out loud without any problem though!! :D
surferbob
Tall Boy

Post by surferbob »

Burtond don't feel ashamed of being a grown man and crying outwardly I do it all the time. If his show teaches us anything it is that it's ok to express yourself and still be ok.

Sorry I couldn't pass this up. :lol:

Cheers
Bob
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Thanks Bob.
You are of course quite right
David

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”