Most moving/emotional part of the show

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
burtond
Michael

Most moving/emotional part of the show

Post by burtond »

This is a show full of highs and lows, laughter and emotion.
I just wondered which sequence from the show forum members found most moving/emotional.
For me, it has to be the final slow curtain just before the Finale. The music does it to me every time. So loud, so appropriate, so powerful, it brings a lump to my throat just thinking about it now. And there is something about the lone figure image of Michael who has just said goodbye to his one true friend, probably the only guy who understands him in the Community - and that slow, slow curtain.
I could watch it repeatedly over and over again.
WOW!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Muppet
Michael

Re: Most moving/emotional part of the show

Post by Muppet »

I think at different times over the last few years, certain chunks, songs, scenes or portrayals of a role have particularly stood out as being 'more' moving / emotional than they do normally for me. It may be because it's a 'last night' and the atmosphere is more emotionally charged anyway......perhaps it's because a cast member / portrayal suddenly reminds you of somebody you know, or a situation you have experienced, and it triggers an emotion. Maybe it's because you have spotted something you hadn't noticed before, and are watching the show from a slightly different viewpoint than Billy's, for example from Dad's perspective or Mrs Wilkinson's, or as you say - Michael's.

Colin's 'Letter scenes' used to always get me! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Matthew Koon's and Oliver Taylor's last nights were particularly emotionally charged and contained some touching moments for me.

On Leon Cooke's last night when all past and present Billy's came on stage to do a tap dancing number during the finale, that was quite a nice breathtaking surprise!

The transformation of 'Dad' throughout the show was always quite significant when James Gaddas did it, particularly after him and Billy pack the suitcase at the end, he gives Billy a hug and James would always be in tears.
billyforlife
Tall Boy

Post by billyforlife »

For me, Angry Dance and The Letter tie for the most moving and emotional scene. I know it's quite typical and I don't think I really need to explain why, but they're just so raw, real and relatable and hit me every time I see it as if it's the first time. :D
"She must have been a very special woman..."
"No, she was just me mam."

Melbourne: Josh D, Josh WG
Broadway: Peter, Dayton
London: Harris, Redmand, Ali x3
olivejuice
Small Boy

Post by olivejuice »

I agree with Muppet. I've only seen the show a few times, but each time something different has caught me. On my first performance, with Ollie, it was the Letter scene that had me in tears it was so moving (and I don't cry easily). With Dean-Charles it was the scene before the finale and with Tom it was Angry Dance. That's one of the reasons the show had such an effect on me, because whereas all theatre changes a bit from night to night, for me every performance of Billy has been like a completely new experience.
London: Ollie-1, Dean-Charles-1, Tom-1
Chicago: Cesar-2, JP-2, Giuseppe-1, Tommy-3, Marcus-1
Chris
Tall Boy

Post by Chris »

For me, the most emotional part of a regular show is the "She must have been a very special woman", "No, she was just me mam" line.

It's interesting how many people cite Olly Taylor's departure as particularly emotional. I guess there are two ways to play your last show - the smile and enjoy it way (George, Colin, etc) or the more emotional style (Matt, Olly Taylor). I think that it's interesting that the more emotional final performances have come from Billies who still look young enough to play the part, whereas with George, Leon, Colin and Layton all seemed to have come to a natural end of their time with Billy and therefore there last nights were somewhat different.

On Ollie's last night the most emotional part as far as I was concerned was the use of Christian namers in the goodbye scene, "See ya, Ryan", "Yeah, see ya, Olly" brought a tear to my eye.
"In everything you do, always be yourself"
Finale
Former Admin

Post by Finale »

For me it has got to be The Letter, especially the reprise.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Like most members that have posted, I have a current sequence that I find most emotional now (as stated when I started the thread) but this has changed throughout my experience of BE. I remember the first time I saw the show in September, I was with colleages and clients and during the interval found it highly embarrassing trying to chat with them in the bar - I had just expereienced 'the letter' and this really got me. My wife ended up having to make excuses linking what we had all just seen with lifes personal experiences - she was right! Next it was the Ballet sequence - mind you I still get a lump when watching this now. There are also times when Joe Caffrey, playing the Dad, gets me during the signing of 'Deep into the ground' he certainly puts a lot of emotion into the song and it rubs off.
Anyway to summarise - I agree, the emotion surrounding the show is an ever changing feast and one of the reasons I can come back again and again. Every show is different, and each time I go, I see something new.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Chris wrote: On Ollie's last night the most emotional part as far as I was concerned was the use of Christian namers in the goodbye scene, "See ya, Ryan", "Yeah, see ya, Olly" brought a tear to my eye.
Particularly since both Ollie and Ryan were doing their final show that night. Not sure if there's been another farewell show where both Billy and Michael were doing their final performance at the same time. And in Ryan's case, he was the last of the original child cast who was leaving, adding another level of poignancy to the occasion.
Chris
Tall Boy

Post by Chris »

Todd wrote: And in Ryan's case, he was the last of the original child cast who was leaving, adding another level of poignancy to the occasion.
Indeed, I think that's why, for me, it was the most emotional moment in all the shows I've seen.
"In everything you do, always be yourself"
Alex
Ballet Girl

Post by Alex »

There are two parts of the show that really get me, emotion-wise. The first is the opening number. Got a thing about opening numbers, to tell you the truth. Be it those tremendous chords that hail the beginning of No One Mourns The Wicked, with the dragon writhing above the stage. Or the trumpet at the start of the overture of Chicago, as the curtain comes up. Or the quavers on the organ that fill the auditorium as the (slightly demented looking) chandalier lifts its way towards the ceiling at the beginning of The Phantom of the Opera. The moment the ensemble starts singing "Through the dark . . ." against the cymbol roll sends shivers up my spine every performance.

The other part is Electricity. This song (and dance) is such an incredible moment for me. When I first saw Liam Mower perform it, my mouth was practically hanging open in amazement. It's like this part of the show had been tailor-made, especially for me. Everything I love about dancing and singing and music - Electricity just encaspulates it for me. It's never a surprise when people start clapping and cheering afterwards.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."

Pratchett.

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”