Which Billy's are these?

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Which Billy's are these?

Post by Bridget40 »

http://youtu.be/qdU7JZDDxJQ

The Billy in this trailer I have seen in a few clips, but I can't work out who he is. Perhaps he was in Broadway production, and not the West End? He looks very good though. Also, was the boy that is used in the poster at the end of the clip ( And also the big billboard on the front of The VPT) an actual Billy?
Zweaplight
Tall Boy

Re: Which Billy's are these?

Post by Zweaplight »

I think that's Colin Bates in the trailer.
Lukas
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Zweaplight wrote: I think that's Colin Bates in the trailer.
That is indeed Colin Bates in the trailer. He is an American boy who was London's 7th Billy in 2006/2007. That trailer was used for a long time to publicize the show before the more recent Dean Charles Chapman trailer replaced it.

As has been discussed on the Forum many times, the poster and signage on the front of the VPT are George Maguire's head and someone else's body.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

...and the sad thing is that, apart from being a very poor attempt at photoshopping, that "monstrosity", as I call it, of a sour-faced denim-clad delinquent is the complete opposite to what we see on stage and is in no way representative of Billy. I'd love to know why they removed the original depiction of the real Billy which lasted until the year that the Broadway version began.

Pat
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

porschesrule wrote:That is indeed Colin Bates in the trailer. He is an American boy who was London's 7th Billy in 2006/2007. That trailer was used for a long time to publicize the show before the more recent Dean Charles Chapman trailer replaced it.
So he was an American West end Billy. Looks like an excellent Billy Elliot.......
porschesrule wrote: As has been discussed on the Forum many times, the poster and signage on the front of the VPT are George Maguire's head and someone else's body.
Ahhhh..... Seems like a strange thing to do. :lol:
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

patc wrote:...and the sad thing is that, apart from being a very poor attempt at photoshopping, that "monstrosity", as I call it, of a sour-faced denim-clad delinquent is the complete opposite to what we see on stage and is in no way representative of Billy. I'd love to know why they removed the original depiction of the real Billy which lasted until the year that the Broadway version began.

Pat
Just what I was thinking Pat..... It doesn't represent the Billy you see in the show very well at all.
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

Thanks for the answers guys.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The original Leaping Billy was a much younger George, but then before the Broadway show opened, they decided to "age Billy up" a bit by creating the image that patc refers to above as the "monstrosity." :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

Isn't Colin half British (his dad is English)? :D Also, can one of the experts confirm if he is the oldest boy to play Billy in London?

The boys in the US tended to be a year or two older than their British counterparts, could that be why they wanted an older looking Billy on their marketing? I guess they then thought it would be good to refresh the marketing in the UK too (or just to piss off Pat!)
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Yorkie wrote:Isn't Colin half British (his dad is English)? :D Also, can one of the experts confirm if he is the oldest boy to play Billy in London?

The boys in the US tended to be a year or two older than their British counterparts, could that be why they wanted an older looking Billy on their marketing? I guess they then thought it would be good to refresh the marketing in the UK too (or just to piss off Pat!)
I believe he STARTED older then any billy even ENDED at.

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”