BETM or general "Billy" related questions

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
jamiebytheloch
Audience Member

BETM or general "Billy" related questions

Post by jamiebytheloch »

ive read the billys do two shows on rotation

how about the Michaels? i get exhausted just watching them

and do they do school at the billy house ?

jamie
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BETM or general "Billy" related questions

Post by ERinVA »

Hi Jamie,

I moved your post into this thread that is set up for questions like yours.

If you look at our Tracking Thread for London, you will see that the Billys Michaels and Debbies typically do two to three shows a week, depending. Here's a link to that thread: http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... 60#p106260 Scroll up to near the top of the page to see who has performed when during the month of December. The performance schedule is not made public in advance. It is tracked on here based on information provided by members who have attended performances, or who have stopped by the theatre and checked the cast board.

The Billys, Michaels and Debbies go to school daily with tutors who work with them to keep up with the assignments from their home schools. The ballet girls, tall boys and small boys go to their own schools. They all live within an hour's commute of the theatre and travel from home to the theatre for the performances that are on their schedule.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

In a review I read of the show (which I can't find now!), it said that Billy got a scholarship for the Royal Ballet School.

Was this even refered to in the show? I know Mrs Wilkinson said local authorities sometimes pay the costs, and later the chair lady said she was aware of their personal circumstances, but I can't remember an exact line which mentions it ... are we to take the aforementioned lines to mean he did get a scholarship, or did the reviewer dream it?
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

OliverWaters wrote:In a review I read of the show (which I can't find now!), it said that Billy got a scholarship for the Royal Ballet School.

Was this even refered to in the show? I know Mrs Wilkinson said local authorities sometimes pay the costs, and later the chair lady said she was aware of their personal circumstances, but I can't remember an exact line which mentions it ... are we to take the aforementioned lines to mean he did get a scholarship, or did the reviewer dream it?
If one goes by the film, it is pretty obvious that Billy receives a scholarship to attend the Royal Ballet School. That fact must have been contained in the letter he received. The 'voice' at the audition makes it clear that the panel is aware of the family's circumstances - that they do not have the means to pay any fees. I think the musical follows this summation as well.
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

kport wrote:
OliverWaters wrote:In a review I read of the show (which I can't find now!), it said that Billy got a scholarship for the Royal Ballet School.

If one goes by the film, it is pretty obvious that Billy receives a scholarship to attend the Royal Ballet School. That fact must have been contained in the letter he received. The 'voice' at the audition makes it clear that the panel is aware of the family's circumstances - that they do not have the means to pay any fees. I think the musical follows this summation as well.
Makes sense - if they were aware his family couldn't afford it, they wouldn't offer him the place without something in place!

OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

Does the show's stated runtime (three hours) include the finale/encore/curtain call thingie?

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

OliverWaters wrote:Does the show's stated runtime (three hours) include the finale/encore/curtain call thingie?
Yes.

And if the show is running late, they cut it out - or truncate it. Equity rules.
BEF
Small Boy

Post by BEF »

Does anybody know if BETM will be revival in London again :?:
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Everyone hopes so, after the UK/Ireland tour comes to an end. But if it comes back, it won't be at the Victoria Palace, and it will probably be the version that is currently on tour.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

ERinVA wrote:But if it comes back, it won't be at the Victoria Palace
That's true if you're talking about a comeback in the next year or so, as "Hamilton" will be at the Victoria Palace for awhile once it reopens. But if "Billy Elliot" returns in a couple of years or beyond, it could just as easily be back at the VP as it could any other theater in London.

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”