the Dad on the DVD Seeing Dream Ballet and Whispers of Billy

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
trekbikerusa
Audience Member

the Dad on the DVD Seeing Dream Ballet and Whispers of Billy

Post by trekbikerusa »

When does the dad come onstage during Dream Dance? (he is watching Billy dance with older Billy and realizes of Billy's talent)

I have the DVD and I realize the dad is watching only when Billy rotates towards him at the end of Dream Dance. I wonder if it's different watching it live at the VPT...can you see the dad watching the whole dance? I'll watch the DVD again...maybe the dad becomes only apparent when the stage light shines on him at the end.

Another question...what is Billy saying when he whispers in his dad's ear during the audition interview? Dad just says no when asked if he had any questions and Billy looks disappointed.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: the Dad on the DVD Seeing Dream Ballet and Whispers of Billy

Post by kport »

Dad appears on stage just as Billy looks at Dad, then back to Older Billy,and gets the nod to pirouette across the stage to confront Dad. I think it is important for Dream Ballet to be just between Older/Younger Billy, until Dad intrudes upon them from offstage, for the moment of truth.

What each Billy says to Dad is a matter of conjecture, but whatever is said has to be done very quietly, or not at all, due to the mics that both wear.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

kport wrote:What each Billy says to Dad is a matter of conjecture, but whatever is said has to be done very quietly, or not at all, due to the mics that both wear.
I can't speak for certainty regarding the London show, but one of the former Broadway cast members who played Dad told me that the Billys actually did have lines that they were supposed to whisper into his ear, to make the length of time they whispered consistent from show to show. I had always assumed they were just whispering mumbo jumbo - or moving their lips without saying anything - but apparently that's not the case.
trekbikerusa
Audience Member

Post by trekbikerusa »

kport, now from your description it all makes sense to me why Billy was looking in that direction then giving a nod to older Billy then pirouetting there to confront his dad. The DVD does not show wide view angle of whole stage.

Todd, does the script say anything? :lol: as if you have a script laying around. thanks!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Just FYI, the Broadway production produced a script of sorts which they only sold at the theatre (don't remember this) and at fundraising events (I bought mine at the annual Broadway flea market). At this point in the show, the script they put out (C) 2008 doesn't even say "(unintelligible whispering)" at this point. It just says the question--"Would you like to ask us any questions"--and then the "No" from Billy's dad right afterward.

-Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
trekbikerusa
Audience Member

Post by trekbikerusa »

Thanks to all who replied! Now I enjoy the DVD more when I know more. :)

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”