Production Guides to BETM

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
Eltonjohn
Miner

Production Guides to BETM

Post by Eltonjohn »

This is the first such guide I have ever encountered.
It contains spoilers.

http://www.villagetheatre.org/Downloads ... review.pdf

Are they very commonly used, given that live theatre shows are not assigned ratings like commercial movies?
BETM: "the most expensive school play ever."
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Production Guides to BETM

Post by kport »

Eltonjohn wrote:This is the first such guide I have ever encountered.
It contains spoilers.

http://www.villagetheatre.org/Downloads ... review.pdf

Are they very commonly used, given that live theatre shows are not assigned ratings like commercial movies?
This Guide is produced by MTI for use as determined by every show.

There is also a statement by Lee Hall concerning the 'language' and his permission to alter it to suit local sensibilities, in a manner that will not reduce the dramatic sense of the musical. That is not included here. Note the generic nature of the wording of this guide.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I'm annoyed by the Billy/Michael wording. The kisses are on the cheek, of course, but anyone reading that could assume it's on the lips. It would certainly colo(u)r what people think of the show beforehand if that's all they saw. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I've seen Billy's so-called rejection of Michael played many different ways. Sometimes with some anger, more than I liked, and other times very ambivalently, as if leaving anything open to interpretation. I believe this guide is not written as clearly as it could and should be.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

angelenroute wrote:I'm annoyed by the Billy/Michael wording. The kisses are on the cheek, of course, but anyone reading that could assume it's on the lips. It would certainly colo(u)r what people think of the show beforehand if that's all they saw. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I've seen Billy's so-called rejection of Michael played many different ways. Sometimes with some anger, more than I liked, and other times very ambivalently, as if leaving anything open to interpretation. I believe this guide is not written as clearly as it could and should be.
First, it is two, not one.

Second, the simple insertion of the adjective 'innocent' would be more accurate.

The purpose of this 'disclaimer' (for lack of a better word) is to preempt complaints from audience members who may be offended.

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”